Is Patrick Roy a good coach or was last year a fluke?

Yarice

Oct 28, 2011
You know he won the Memorial Cup with the Ramparts right?

Yeah, I know, but he did nothing after that. He did the exact same thing as Dan Bylsma. Won the Memorial Cup in his first year, after taking in charge the team in the middle of the season, and after, deception after deception.

He lost a playoffs series he was leading 3-0 against a Halifax team that finished lower than them in the regular season. Almost same thing one year earlier, but it was agaist a weaker gatineau team, and he was leading 3-1. And some other disappointment, but he never really caused a positive surprise.

He was not the worst coach, but there were better coach than him in the Q, that are not employed in the NHL, because they were not elite goaltender in their player career.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Last year IMO was a fluke. I said Roy would be out in 3 years, if he misses this year and next, he'd definitely be on a short leash to start the 2016 season

He has a Jack Adams and Mike Babcock doesn't...

Bitter Red Wings fan. Roy deserved his Jack Adams, you like it or not. He had the best results.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
1. Pretty overrated coach last year.
2. Team is tanking a bit this year.
3. Next year they'll be back. With Hanifin?
4. Not worried for them. At all.

Watch the team. They're not trying to tank. They have 10+ injuries including their starting goalie. N2M having Holden, Guenin, Stollery, and Hejda on D...

Reactions: MaKarter

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
As others have pointed out apparently the advanced stats really didn't line up with their record last year and it appears it might be catching up with them this year.

Roy also comes off as a pretty intense fella, maybe I am just buying into myth, but those types, at least according to stereotype, generally get results early and then tend to wear thin and lose 'the room' relatively quickly, especially when things aren't going well.

Look at the Wild advanced stats for this year yet they're 5th in the central. People get WAY to hung up on that ****. :laugh:

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
The Avs have had a way below average blueline for what 5, 6 seasons now? Ever since the big 3 of Bourque, Blake, Foote, the Avs have never been able to build a competant defense corpse.

Reactions: MaKarter
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think the entire Avs management team underestimated the impact of losing Stastny. Duchene and MacKinnon are simply not ready to take on the defensive responsibilities that SOS took on, and have not adjusted their play to be able to do so. I'd say Roy's greatest weakness as a coach is that he has a really long leash for his personal favourites. I get the feeling that he thinks he is a miracle worker and has made NHLers out of AHLers in Holden, Guenin and Cliche, the result is that they get played way too much, in pressure situations that they should not be in.

They are spending way too much effort to try to cover up for their complete lack of talent defensively. Last year the Avs defensive scheme worked because no one really played that style, however, teams have adjusted and the Avs have not exactly upgraded their talent defensively. We end up getting hemmed in the defensive zone for long periods of time, and with terrible recognition from the defensive players.

In the offensive zone the Avs are employing a grinding style of play, which does not mesh well with the players that they have. They should be constantly moving and forcing the defense to give them space. Instead they are taking it behind the net, and cycling it in the corners and then giving the puck up. No one gets open for shots, no one is moving, it's very easy to stop.

Long story short, it's a mixture of a severe lack of talent defensively, the offensive really under performing, and Roy not adjusting fast enough to the adjustments of other teams. I think he is a good coach, but he is still learning to coach at the NHL level. It's a growing process for him and the players.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
The Avs have had a way below average blueline for what 5, 6 seasons now? Ever since the big 3 of Bourque, Blake, Foote, the Avs have never been able to build a competant defense corpse.

For whatever reason, the Avs have a really hard time developing NHL defenders. Roy has actually done a decent job at getting the best out of his defensemen, EJ, and Barrie have played their best hockey under Roy. Redmond looks like he could be a solid 5-6 defender. I actually have confidence in our defense getting better with Roy as he has shown an ability to develop his defenders. We just need to get him some actual talent to work with now.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
THe loss of Stastny has really hurt them. Should have traded ROR instead.

I definitely agree. I think they underestimated what the loss of Stastny would do to their team. Ideally they would have been able to keep Stastny, keep MacKinnon on the wing for 1 more season to get him more accustomed to defensive assignments. They could have also used O'Reilly to upgrade their defense. In general, I feel like they really mucked up the off-season with some poor planning.

Derrty

Cat
Apr 24, 2012
To be fair, MacKinnon and Landeskog have been less dynamic than last year, by a huge margin.

They had five 60pts+ players, one of them is traded away and it was a mistake.

I can add O'reilly to that group of people who aren't on par with last year.

Duchene 70
Landeskog 65
O'Reilly 64
MacKinnon 63
Stastny 60

They had a ton of 35pts + player...

Don't worry, Those guys will get at least 35 this year too :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad