Is Patrick Roy a good coach or was last year a fluke?

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
And do you think that this is a deliberate tactic dictated by management?

Sometimes, professional athletes just mail it in.

I agree , The Avs are a Young team , they had a lot of success last year and i believe they thought things will be easy for them again this year , without any effort on their part .

Aceonfire*

He deserved the Adams, I'll give him that.

But I think he is overrated as a coach.

The Avs won games last year while getting heavily out shot. Varly was bailing them out.

They were able to win a large amount of 1 goal games and that helped them also.

I think the excitement of having him as a coach and the confidence of every one in the room drove the team further than most hap expected.

But now the awe of him coaching has worn off and some of the same players that were accused before of mailing it in are in that same position. He hasn't lost the room but he needs the entire team to buy in.

Everyone was lauding Landeskog's leadership abilities but with the team performing the way it is he should be stepping up and he hasn't.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Based on the typical parameters of the award, he deserved it last year. But lots of bad coaches have won the jack Adams. Whether he is truly a good coach is yet to be seen.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Last year was a fluke. He is not a great coach.

This is why I don't like the Jack Adams. In practice it's not "Best Coach", it's "Media Makes Wrong Predictions About a Team So They Give The Coach A Shiny Award To Save Face".

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Varlamov's excellent play covered up a lot of the team's mistakes last season. Not so much this season.

BigBen

Dec 5, 2014
Varlamov's excellent play covered up a lot of the team's mistakes last season. Not so much this season.
Was going to say this. Advanced stats proved their team play wasn't worthy of being first in their division, it was Varlamov's play that got them there.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Last year was a fluke. He is not a great coach.

This is why I don't like the Jack Adams. In practice it's not "Best Coach", it's "Media Makes Wrong Predictions About a Team So They Give The Coach A Shiny Award To Save Face".

He was a great coach that year. Nobody had them performing like they did. They should not have gone to the play-offs like that and make noise like that. Gotta give some credit to him. In the year he won it, he was good.

TOML

Oct 4, 2006
Walnut Grove
Do we have to use the word "tanking" to describe every single team that's underperforming?

And if one tanks "a bit", isn't that the worst possible way to tank?

The accusations of tanking around here are way too high (particularly considering that no one here has first-hand information regarding any team motives).
They're doing much poorer than expected and the effort is lacking. It is what it is.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We are where we are because our top 6 are playing like ****, with the exception of Tanguay. We're 20th in goals for right now. Last year we were fourth. Tyson Barrie is our leading scorer. Tyson is in the top 10 for dman scoring, but that's still not good for a team that can boast Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Iginla and our star, Tanguay. So yeah, we're giving up a good bit more goals this year, but our inability to score has been an even greater change that's been much more pivotal to our struggles this year.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
It is early. 54 games left for the Avs. I doubt Roy is in a panic. Tons of injuries. Varlamov injured a lot. I think Roy has been there and done that as a player and as a coach, GM and owner in Quebec. He is a third of the way into the season. I am thinking the Avs are likely going to be much improved as the season goes on.

I am guessing Roy will be the coach of the Avs as long as he wishes to be. Playoffs this year are still very possible. The future is still bright in Denver. Roy is likely an excellent coach.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Its always easy to win when you have little expectations. Its always a bit harder when the expectations are weighing on you. Young team unsure of what to do now that they've set the bar so high for themselves.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
We are where we are because our top 6 are playing like ****, with the exception of Tanguay. We're 20th in goals for right now. Last year we were fourth. Tyson Barrie is our leading scorer. Tyson is in the top 10 for dman scoring, but that's still not good for a team that can boast Duchene, O'Reilly, Landeskog, MacKinnon, Iginla and our star, Tanguay. So yeah, we're giving up a good bit more goals this year, but our inability to score has been an even greater change that's been much more pivotal to our struggles this year.

It always cracks me up when people make excuses for the coach based on large swaths of players not playing well. Is that not a huge part of the coaching position? To incentivize, motivate, and ultimately get players to perform up their abilities and beyond?

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
The jury is still out on if he's a good coach, but he definitely robbed Babcock of a Jack Adams last year.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It always cracks me up when people make excuses for the coach based on large swaths of players not playing well. Is that not a huge part of the coaching position? To incentivize, motivate, and ultimately get players to perform up their abilities and beyond?

...where did I make any excuses for anyone? I was responding to the posts putting our crappy start down to Varly being hurt and our defense. It's the top 6 and offense who's failure is at the heart of our struggles, not the defense. Landeskog is looking worse than he did when he came back after Stuart had scrambled his brains, and I don't think ROR has ever played this poorly for the Avs, even as a 20 point rookie bottom 6er.

None of these are excuses, just the current state/problems of the avs.

With the way Landy's struggling to stay on his skates, or impose himself in puck battles that he used to win with ease; I wouldn't be shocked if he's playing through an injury that's making him this much slower and sapping his power. But that still wouldn't be an excuse cause if landy's so impeded by injury that he's playing this badly Patrick should make him sit until he heals, even though he's the captain and we're being battered by injuries to what depth we have in a season fast becoming a lost cause RE: the postseason.
And who the **** knows what's wrong with ROR. He's been simply off in almost every way, even over the past 10 games were he's at least doing some ROR things again. His touch is gone this season, and he's not nearly as sharp against the puck or in puck battles as we're used to him being. So maybe his mind's already moved on to a new team, maybe he's pissed off at Joe and Patrick for how the negotiations went, maybe he's too focused on figuring out how to make an extension/trade happen, maybe that process is forcing himself to push away from his super-involved crazy-life-coach dad, or maybe it's one of a hundred other things. I'm very curious to see what comes with him because that should be something patrick can either work ROR through, or something that should've convinced Patrick to trade him. So if you want to place blame here to I think Patrick could probably be being more effective.

But those two players' current form is the only part of our top 6 I think Patrick Roy could hold a significant part of the blame for, but since you brought up who's "fault" our offensive failures are; at some point it's players who have to make plays and blaming the coaches for good and potentially excellent players just not playing well gets you no where. Two players of Landy and ROR's caliber playing as god-awfully as they have been has to fall on them to. And if those two were playing like themselves we wouldn't be in the bottom 10 for goal scoring.

Iginla and Tanguay have been fine, Iginla doing reasonably well even though he can no longer drive the play for his line if his linemates aren't doing it and so has to be the third man. A plan that's not had great result given how awfully landy's been playing and MacK not using cheatcodes as often this year. Meanwhile Tanguay's blown away any reasonable expectations since game 5 and been our best forward since Duchene's funk started. So the oldies are not the problem and if you really want to attribute form solely to coaching he should get kudos for the way tanguay's looking like he was ten years younger.

Mack's a child who's learning to play as a top 6 Center after having been eased in on the third line and the wing last year. Which you can blame patrick for but was going to happen at some point, so might as well be this year when we're still waiting to finish setting our defense up, the rest of the core is also still developing, and Stastny walked to force our hand on the matter. This was expected and so some offensive slow down was obviously going to come, but MacK isn't the reason we've dropped from 4th to 20th in goals/game.
Meanwhile Duchene is doing exactly what he so often does when we start ******** the bed; trying too hard and getting himself even more frustrated. Despite having been our best forward for the first 12-15 games until Landy and MacK got put on his wings and their struggles rubbed off on him. He did manage to get MacK going a little bit during that time, but Landy's still looking bad and Duchene's own recent struggles don't help.

So Duchene's struggles fall on Roy to some extent to, but MacK's don't. That is just a child developing. Duchene though, like Landy and ROR, should be mature and experienced enough not to let himself play this poorly despite everything that's gone wrong around him; and Patty needs to find a way to fix that. Get Duchene, Landeskog and ROR back to form and this team will at least get back into the playoff race, even if it is on the periphery. That has to come from both the coach and the players.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Last year was absolutely 100% a fluke for the Avs.

I don't know how it's even a debate anymore.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I'm a Jets fan, but their recent game against the Jets he wasn't doing a good job. Holden on the top line, Jets have a 3 goal lead and he pulls the goalie on a 5 on 3 making it a 6 on 3 that they obviously haven't practiced. Gooning it up. Benching Mackinnon, etc..

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Emotion only takes you so far in anything really. Having not watched many of their games this year I would guess there are some glaring holes in the lineup from what I've heard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->