Is Patrice Bergeron CHL eligible for next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

speeds

Feb 27, 2002
St.Albert
Visit site
I would imagine all the young guys, like Staal, Horton and Bergeron would like to play next year, maybe they'll try catching on with a pro club in Europe, or what have you, and I'm guessing they wouldn't be AHL eligible (under 20, but does that apply after you've played a full NHL season?), but if those options don't play out could they play CHL hockey next season, as a last resort to make sure they keep playing?

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
speeds said:
I would imagine all the young guys, like Staal, Horton and Bergeron would like to play next year, maybe they'll try catching on with a pro club in Europe, or what have you, and I'm guessing they wouldn't be AHL eligible (under 20, but does that apply after you've played a full NHL season?), but if those options don't play out could they play CHL hockey next season, as a last resort to make sure they keep playing?

The majority of the players you list can play in the CHL next season if there is a strike.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Fedz said:
That would be a scary dominance in the CHL.

What is scarier is that they would also be eligible to play for Team Canada during the upcoming W.J.C. in North Dokota. Should we just tell Canada not to even bother showing up and mail them the gold medal?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
VOB said:
What is scarier is that they would also be eligible to play for Team Canada during the upcoming W.J.C. in North Dokota. Should we just tell Canada not to even bother showing up and mail them the gold medal?

If the games were won on paper I would agree with you.

Sticky*

Staal wouldn't be able to play at the WJC's, as he is a late 84. But you're right about Bergeron and Horton, who are both 85's.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
During the last strike players went to junior and played. It was great till the strike was settled, it then screwed up a few teams.

TVanek26*

VOB said:

Yeah,sort of like the past year when Canada had Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury...we all know how that turned out. :gman:

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
DanielBriere48 said:
Yeah,sort of like the past year when Canada had Sidney Crosby and Marc-Andre Fleury...we all know how that turned out. :gman:

Actually Canada had one of the youngest teams at the tournament and were not considered the favorites. I myself expected them to finish around fourth. Considering that they almost did beat the U.S. and that the majority of that team is eligible to come back, they have to be considered the favorite to win this year.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm still relatively new to this board.

Does the CHL that is referred to in this thread the CHL that houses such teams as the Wichita Thunder *which would kick ASS because I live in Kansas and Wichita Thunder is the only live hockey I get here*, the Colorado Eagles, the Bossier-Shreeveport Mudbugs and other teams?

Like I said, if so, that'd kick some ass if some of those players signed...anywhere, because their bound to play Wichita sometime.

By the way, the Thunder was just eliminated from the playoffs, but they were the clear underdog of the PO's as they eliminated top-ranked Colorado Eagles in the first series.

That team has some good players...too bad most of them reached their potential, and that is the CHL.

Reactions: LeProspector

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
KSGuy2325 said:
I'm still relatively new to this board.

Does the CHL that is referred to in this thread the CHL that houses such teams as the Wichita Thunder *which would kick ASS because I live in Kansas and Wichita Thunder is the only live hockey I get here*, the Colorado Eagles, the Bossier-Shreeveport Mudbugs and other teams?

Like I said, if so, that'd kick some ass if some of those players signed...anywhere, because their bound to play Wichita sometime.

By the way, the Thunder was just eliminated from the playoffs, but they were the clear underdog of the PO's as they eliminated top-ranked Colorado Eagles in the first series.

That team has some good players...too bad most of them reached their potential, and that is the CHL.
Different CHL......

Those teams are from the Central hockey league, the teenagers refered to in the thread could return to the Canadian (major junior) Hockey league, in the event of a strike.

Rick Nash could also return to junior as an overager, could he not? It's more likely he would find a European team to play for, but even this year the Knights had Nash on their eligibility list. A line of: Nash - Schremp - Perry would look pretty good next year. :)

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
I am not too sure if Nash would go back to juniors. He would be jeopardizing alot if he went back, and i doubt he wants to ride the buses again. Remember, this guy made between 5-8 mill this year, if he gets injured playing junior, he could be kicking himself as far as bonuses for the next year are concerned.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
I imagine that any of these guys would be able to play in the AHL if they wanted. Since the CBA is expiring, rules like the "CHL players have to be optioned back to their junior teams before they can go to the AHL" will likely no longer apply.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
I.M. Fletcher said:
I am not too sure if Nash would go back to juniors. He would be jeopardizing alot if he went back, and i doubt he wants to ride the buses again. Remember, this guy made between 5-8 mill this year, if he gets injured playing junior, he could be kicking himself as far as bonuses for the next year are concerned.
Not likely at all, but technically possible.

Epsilon said:
I imagine that any of these guys would be able to play in the AHL if they wanted. Since the CBA is expiring, rules like the "CHL players have to be optioned back to their junior teams before they can go to the AHL" will likely no longer apply.

Since they've established themselves as NHL'ers they would be scabs if they played in the AHL, a league directly affiliated with the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad