Is Pastrnak this years Art ross and/or Maurice Richard trophy contender?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
No reason he couldn't win the Rocket, I find the Art Ross more unlikely though. I guess the Ross is still possible but I think he's right up there in the top 5 Rocket contenders.

Statistically speaking if he maintains his career average shooting percentage of around 14% and keeps shooting at the rate he is now he would hit 51 goals, obviously that's just a statistical projection based off his career averages though. Pasta has had 10+ game goal scoring droughts in his past 2 seasons but managed 35 goals anyway.

Yes he has been prone to bad cold streaks in the past. Has he out grown that? Too early to say.

Reactions: slicedbread
Mar 11, 2013
QC
Other way around. Pasta doesnt even make 7M$ per year. Nylander is shooting for 8
Doubt he cares, Pastrnak just loves hockey and you can see it in his game, he wanted to make his father that died a year prior to this draft proud and that fire hasn't disappeared. They both come from very different families, Pastrnak comes from a poor family while Nylander comes from generational wealth.

Besides his contract runs out at 27 and at this rate he's gonna get PAID.

Yes he has been prone to bad cold streaks in the past. Has he out grown that? Too early to say.
I think he went goalless for 10 games at the start of last year and ~18 games (suspension+midseason shoulder surgery) the year before that, I think he's been pretty consistent since then and he just keeps on getting better

Last edited:

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Pastrnak got 34 during the 2016-17 season and 35 goals last season. I can see him getting 35 - 40 goals this season.

I could see him getting close to 50 even. He is at a 91 goal pace right now so he can slow down by at least half and still hit 50. That is a lot to ask but 40+ seems likely with this hot start.

John Bruins

Jul 3, 2018
Bangor, Maine
I could see him getting close to 50 even. He is at a 91 goal pace right now so he can slow down by at least half and still hit 50. That is a lot to ask but 40+ seems likely with this hot start.

Considering that he had 2 back to back 34+ goal seasons I think He is good for 35 - 40 goal this season. I wouldn’t want someone to say that I have homer glasses on.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
Gretzky was before my time so it blows my mind to think that his 92 goal season was him at a HOTTER pace than Pasta currently for an entire season. Nuts.

Reactions: WJCJ

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
With Matthews not scoring yesterday they are tied in goals but Pasta has played one less game

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Oh? Boston has also suffered a bit...

Red Sox -
86 year “curse.”
Bucky Dent.
Bill Buckner.
Aaron Boone.

Bruins -
39 year drought.
Too many men on the ice.
Finals losses in 1974, 1978, 1988, 1990, and 2013.
Cheap ownership that wouldn’t spend - ever.

Celtics -
Len Bias. Enough heartbreak there for all four teams. If you’re too young to know who he was, look him up. Seriously. Then get back to me after you do, because I’d love to hear your thoughts on that.

Patriots -
The “roughing the passer” game.
Super Bowl XX.
The Lisa Olson scandal.
Almost moving to St. Louis.
Desmond Howard.
The 2006 (Jan. ‘07) AFC Championship Game.
The helmet catch.

The death of Len Bias was devastating. Add in the “Curse of the Bambino” and I’d say Boston has paid its dues. Things are very good now, but I’m somebody who remembers how it used to be - and it was pretty awful. To say “no hardship” doesn’t really tell the whole story, and isn’t really accurate.

I’m sure the Leafs will win soon. If the Red Sox and Patriots can win, so can the Maple Leafs. Just takes competent leadership and I think they have that now.

Back ON topic - he has a shot but it’s WAAAY early. The competition is tough, too.

Great post. Boston has certainly paid its dues. The current situation in Boston has reached mythic proportions...but the past was like a recurring nightmare for decades.

Reactions: rfournier103

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Oh? Boston has also suffered a bit...

Celtics -
Len Bias. Enough heartbreak there for all four teams. If you’re too young to know who he was, look him up. Seriously. Then get back to me after you do, because I’d love to hear your thoughts on that.

I see your Len Bias, and raise you a Reggie Lewis. Those were some really dark years for the Green.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I see your Len Bias, and raise you a Reggie Lewis. Those were some really dark years for the Green.

Can’t believe I didn’t mention that.

How would “Maple Leaf Nation” feel if Auston Matthews and John Tavares BOTH just dropped dead in the prime of their lives? If they’re curious about how that would feel, they can ask a Boston Celtics fan. The Celtics NEVER recovered. Losing Bias and Lewis I’d say was the worst chapter in Boston sports history.

God rest their souls.

Reactions: jgatie

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Can’t believe I didn’t mention that.

How would “Maple Leaf Nation” feel if Auston Matthews and John Tavares BOTH just dropped dead in the prime of their lives? If they’re curious about how that would feel, they can ask a Boston Celtics fan. The Celtics NEVER recovered. Losing Bias and Lewis I’d say was the worst chapter in Boston sports history.

God rest their souls.

Reggie was good friends with my sister and her husband, both NU alums. That was a devastating day for Boston.

You can also add Darryl Stingley for the Pats, Tony C for the Sox, and Normand Levielle for the B's.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfournier103

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad