Is Ovechkin delusional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I despise Ovechkin..can't stand the guy. But he'll rack up more points than Crosby this season, size and age will do that for you these days :)

Don't blame him for the comment though, being compared to other players sucks.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Sting004 said:
I despise Ovechkin..can't stand the guy. But he'll rack up more points than Crosby this season, size and age will do that for you these days :)

Don't blame him for the comment though, being compared to other players sucks.
I don't understand why you can't stand the guy.

Did he beat your favourite team in the Russian league last year?

Claypool_*

Bonzai said:
If anyone has shown fire and the unextinguishable desire to win it's Ovechkin, not Crosby.

Yeah, Crosby is such a floater.... :biglaugh:

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
NightScout said:
"Oh yeah, try pulling that **** in the NHL and you'll get beaten because were tough and american and that's the way we handle everything."

Oh why did I come back to this thread...
That's just how hockey is in NA. Showboating is more accepted in the Euro leagues than it is in the NHL. That's why you don't see a lot of it here.

Anyone remember Korolyuk showboating during an empty net goal against Calgary in the playoffs last year? He was about to be attacked and hid behing Rathje and he ended up taking a pounding from Simon. It all depends on the coach. As a hometown example, Sutter would send the Flames to hunt down Ovechkin if he did anything over the line in the Saddledome. I'm not sure how other coaches and teams would treat it. I just know the team I watch.

I hope he does tone it down though because he has ALOT of potential to be a superstar for a long time if he can.

Marshall

A ribbon reflector
Mar 13, 2002
Crystal Koons' cold, dead eyes.
twitter.com
Jaded-Fan said:
He got a thread started here and people talking about him in the media with that comment. Pretty smart if you ask me. Much better, if you are a potential celebrity who wants people to know who you are to have them talking about you than not. The caveat is that you have to back it up to keep the talk going. I think that AO welcomes the challenge, as he should, but we will see what happens.

I don't really see it as an attempt to grab headlines, or create a media splash. Frankly, he didn't say anything to merit the reaction this is getting. He didn't say Crosby stunk, he didn't say he was going to kick his butt, he just said we'll see at the end of the year.

I think a lot of people (not directed at you) are predisposed to interpreting confidence as cockiness, especially in Ovechkin's case. If Crosby had said those things verbatim, it wouldn't be a blip on the radar screen.

Much ado about nothing.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Marshall said:
I don't really see it as an attempt to grab headlines, or create a media splash. Frankly, he didn't say anything to merit the reaction this is getting. He didn't say Crosby stunk, he didn't say he was going to kick his butt, he just said we'll see at the end of the year.

I think a lot of people (not directed at you) are predisposed to interpreting confidence as cockiness, especially in Ovechkin's case. If Crosby had said those things verbatim, it wouldn't be a blip on the radar screen.

Much ado about nothing.

Amen.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Douggy said:
I don't understand why you can't stand the guy.

Did he beat your favourite team in the Russian league last year?

I dislike people who constantly show off, that's all. I don't really care if he has the skills to back it all up, but whatever :)

bigjags*

DrMoses said:
You're right. dekes don't ever work in the NHL because everytime they'r epulled the guy gets flattened...
:confused: :confused:

By guys like Jagr or Forise..not by mice like Crosby.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
nomorekids said:
people on the whole want T.O., Allen Iverson and Randy Moss. Cocky hotheads bring attention to the game....and while it seems like it's negative attention....at this point, hockey needs anything it can get. I hope AO keeps it up.

I think this issue is very different on opposite sides of the border. In the US, the TO/AI/Moss characters sell themselves, they sell the game and they appeal to way more people than they would in Canada. On the whole, Canadians appreciate the humble and classy types to those guys any day.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Ovechkins head is so big, I can't wait till a player deflates it after he scores a goal and start jumping around like a moron.

allelsefails

Mar 31, 2004
Canton, OH
Going with the general consensus - what should Ovechkin have said? "That Crosby kid is untouchable, I bow before him"?

This is by far not an ego problem this time, it's confidence. When is it suddenly big-headedness to compare yourself to a player within your potential/skill range?

Crosby - 0 NHL games
Ovechkin- 0 NHL games

Seems like he has reason to compare himself to Sid the Kid, as well as another incoming rookie with justification. Is it completely impossible for AO to out point Crosby? I don't think so. Could Vanek, Carter outpoint them both? Yeah, it's possible.

NYC Aim 4588

pei fan said:
Quoted in the Globe and Mail referring to Crosby:"Let's wait and see who will
receive more attention at the end of the season."

Does this guy really think he's that good or is he just crazed with jealousy?
I've always said he's a great hockey player but could someone help this guy
to deal with his oversize ego?

First off some one obviousley asked him a questioon about Sidney Crosby and he answered in his honest opinion, I dont think this kid by any means is jealous, he was a 1stround 1st overall pick and hyped to be a very very good player.

the kid has confidence inhimself , whats the big deal, it sounds like maybe yyou are a bit jealous or offended?

Plus who are youto say does he think he is better than Crosby either one has ever played an NHL game, so who is to say he wont be better, besides the fact this that Crosby has guys such as Lemieux, recchi, Plaffy ,Gonchar, Zhamnov etc and Ovechkin got......Semin, Zubrus and halpern.

I expect crosby to put uup more #'s this year because of he has around him and i dont expect Ovechkin to be far below, who knows he might even beat him for the Calder this year. I hope he does .

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
bigjags said:
By guys like Jagr or Forise..not by mice like Crosby.

Yes, only bigger guys can deke in the NHL. Excellent point - you definately know your stuff.

Do you have a blog that we can suscribe to and benefit from your obvious wisdom?

Tom

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Here are some more quotes from ovechkin from the same interview (courtesy of the globe & mail)..

"Of course, I'm looking forward to playing against Sidney Crosby because he is a very good player," the 6-foot-2, 212-pound Ovechkin said. "But there are many other talented players in the NHL that I'm looking forward and excited to play against."

"I'm really looking forward to playing in Toronto because it is such a historic city when it comes to hockey,"

How arrogant :shakehead

He's probably only really looking forward to playing in TO to pad his stats against Aki and the rest of the D. I wish the leafs had a guy like this... young, confident and talented.

Tom

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
I like it, it gives flare to the season. A lot of you guys are taking what he siad wrong, he is just saying that it isn't a sure bet that Crosby will win the Calder...

bigjags*

thomasincanada said:
Yes, only bigger guys can deke in the NHL. Excellent point - you definately know your stuff.

Do you have a blog that we can suscribe to and benefit from your obvious wisdom?

Tom

Crosby will be good, but Ovy is a man. How many times have we seen guys tear up the Q or the OHL only to be reduced to nothing in the NHL. There are simply to many to name.

Crosby, however, isn't like that. He's better, but don't expect him to score 95 points or something in this 1st season.

But great post you tool. I didn't realise this was ameteur hour at hfboards.com

bigjags*

thomasincanada said:
Here are some more quotes from ovechkin from the same interview (courtesy of the globe & mail)..

"Of course, I'm looking forward to playing against Sidney Crosby because he is a very good player," the 6-foot-2, 212-pound Ovechkin said. "But there are many other talented players in the NHL that I'm looking forward and excited to play against."

"I'm really looking forward to playing in Toronto because it is such a historic city when it comes to hockey,"

How arrogant :shakehead

He's probably only really looking forward to playing in TO to pad his stats against Aki and the rest of the D. I wish the leafs had a guy like this... young, confident and talented.

Tom

I'm from TO and I'm glad he's not coming to this over the hill gang of jobber the Leafs call a hockey team.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
bigjags said:
But great post you tool. I didn't realise this was ameteur hour at hfboards.com

This whole thread has been amateur hour. When you call Crosby a mouse and suggest he won't be able to deke around the likes of Chara at least on occassion, you're just adding to it.

At least we can agree on the leafs (unfortunately) sucking this year.

Tom

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Delusional? Quite the opposite, IMO.

He keeps getting asked questions about Crosby's hype. He mostly just points out that at this moment, neither of their hype is based on anything tangible in the NHL or any competition that is really all that comparable (a few games of WJC's aside). So, let's wait and see. See who actually plays better. Then the can actually based the hype on accomplishments. He doesn't say he will be better, or that Crosby won't still gather a lot of attention. He also thinks he has a shot of playing better, which IMO is very possible. But since no one knows, why would he want to answer questions about it?

It's pretty level-headed, really.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
I like what he said.. the game needs more flair anyways. I think the players should do a dance or a celebratory jester after each goal ala football, soccer. Its allmost as exciting to see what their going to do after they score as it is seeing them score. Its like icing on the cake. :hockey:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad