Is Ovechkin delusional?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Quoted in the Globe and Mail referring to Crosby:"Let's wait and see who will
receive more attention at the end of the season."

Does this guy really think he's that good or is he just crazed with jealousy?
I've always said he's a great hockey player but could someone help this guy
to deal with his oversize ego?

jixxsaw

Aug 11, 2005
pei fan said:

ovechkin is no chump

its like melo and james

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
pei fan said:

He was the number one pick in the previous draft, why wouldn't he show such confidence? It's very possible he'll put up better numbers this year (and perhaps beyond) than Crosby anyway.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Mat said:
whats wrong with believing in yourself?
Believing in yourself is one thing-suggesting you're so darn good
that you'll make everyone forget Sidney Crosby is quite another.
The really great ones don't direct attention back to themselves.
Wayne Gretzky was always the first guy in praisng Mario and
he's still his #1 fan.Ovechkin reminds me of one of those ego maniac
football or basketball players.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
pei fan said:

Perhaps Ovechkin doesn't read these boards. If he did he'd know for sure he has no chance of becoming the talent Crosby is. Might as well stay in the RSL.

Can we have a day around here where someone doesn't bring up these two in a post?

Tom

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
thomasincanada said:
Perhaps Ovechkin doesn't read these boards. If he did he'd know for sure he has no chance of becoming the talent Crosby is. Might as well stay in the RSL.

Tom
Or maybe the problem is he does read them and believes the stuff his fans are posting. ;)

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
thomasincanada said:
Can we have a day around here where someone doesn't bring up these two in a post?

Tom
Tell me the last time you've seen a quote like that in hockey.It's pretty
unusual.

spudnick

May 6, 2005
pei fan said:

Taking into account who Ovechkin will be playing beside and who Crosby will be playing beside, for that reason alone my money is on Crosby to be a better producer.

gialloneri

Hypno-Brooks!
Aug 4, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I agree with thomasincanada. Even as a Pens fan, I have no problem with him saying these things - he's not saying Crosby will be rubbish or anything, he's effectively saying, not unreasonably, that it's a long season and who knows who'll set the league alight. There's no point playing sport to a high level if you can't believe that you can be the best, and I don't think he's showing any disrespect with this comment.

jackmanfan

Jul 30, 2005
If Ovechkin were NA he would be recieving as much or more media attention already, unfortunatley for him, unless he has such a great personality that he works his interviews greeatly, he will never be as popular as Crosby, although he *may* be a much better player.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
pei fan said:
Believing in yourself is one thing-suggesting you're so darn good
that you'll make everyone forget Sidney Crosby is quite another.
The really great ones don't direct attention back to themselves.
Wayne Gretzky was always the first guy in praisng Mario and
he's still his #1 fan.Ovechkin reminds me of one of those ego maniac
football or basketball players.
i would rather have a player believing in himself than one who would rather stay in the ussr because he might not be as good.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
pei fan said:

What should he have said?

"Sidney is great, I'll never be as good as he is."

Imagine how many people would be hating on him for that one.

Goldark

Jun 5, 2002
Ann Arbor
www.
pei fan said:

Nothing wrong with this. "Let's wait and see" is exactly that: you don't know what's going to happen during the season so you might as well "wait and see."

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
God forbid a hockey player show some attitude.

I don't see the problem here. AO is an extremely talented rookie, a #1 overall pick, who has been an afterthought in the inane Crosby hype. Can't blame him for saying something about it. And what if, at the end of the season, AO is far and away the better player? What will you say then?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
pei fan said:

I agree with him. IMO he is the better player and I think he will have a better season. Perhaps you should look outside your little box of Crosby amour and realize that Ovechkin is just as good a prospect that Sidney is.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Examples of the complete conversations to demonstrate context...

Reporter: "So how do you think we will fare in comparison to Crosby in Pittsburgh this season"

Overchkin: "I'm looking forward to a good season and helping the team. I'm sure Crosby is doing the same, but I'm focused on my game."

Reporter: "Do you feel you can make an impact with the team and help the team the same way Crosby can help Pittsburgh".

Overchkin: "Well, I'm not sure. But I'm definitely going to go out and try to help the team win this year. I'm confident I will make an impact."

Reporter: "But no one is paying any attention to your potential impact in Washington and you seem to be pretty much forgotten when compared to Crosby..."

Overchkin, fed up with the reporter: "Let's wait and see who will

Factor in the potential context of the quote with the fact English isn't his first language, and you've basically got a confident player looking forward to showing his stuff. If I were a Caps fan, I would love it.

pucks1

Apr 23, 2004
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Examples of the complete conversations to demonstrate context...

Reporter: "So how do you think we will fare in comparison to Crosby in Pittsburgh this season"

Overchkin: "I'm looking forward to a good season and helping the team. I'm sure Crosby is doing the same, but I'm focused on my game."

Reporter: "Do you feel you can make an impact with the team and help the team the same way Crosby can help Pittsburgh".

Overchkin: "Well, I'm not sure. But I'm definitely going to go out and try to help the team win this year. I'm confident I will make an impact."

Reporter: "But no one is paying any attention to your potential impact in Washington and you seem to be pretty much forgotten when compared to Crosby..."

Overchkin, fed up with the reporter: "Let's wait and see who will

Factor in the potential context of the quote with the fact English isn't his first language, and you've basically got a confident player looking forward to showing his stuff. If I were a Caps fan, I would love it.
That would be annoying, a reporter doing an interview with you and only talking about another player. This reminds me of when every player on the Phili Eagles got peppered with T.O questions during sideline interviews.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Dr.Sens(e) said:

Thank you. I was almost losing my faith in people again. I always start reading these threads on this board and I get this urge to bang my head with the keyboard, but then there's always that one (sadly just one) post in each thread that is written by a reasonable thinking person that stops me from doing any actual damage.

name

Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
spudnick said:
Taking into account who Ovechkin will be playing beside and who Crosby will be playing beside, for that reason alone my money is on Crosby to be a better producer.

Sometimes I think it's better to be the big fish in a small pond rather than just one of many. Think Rick Nash.

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
NightScout said:
Thank you. I was almost losing my faith in people again. I always start reading these threads on this board and I get this urge to bang my head with the keyboard, but then there's always that one (sadly just one) post in each thread that is written by a reasonable thinking person that stops me from doing any actual damage.

I imagine that there are plenty of us who sympathize with you ... but look at it this way: there's a fine line between this :banghead: and this :biglaugh: ... there're some real gems in here ... i say bang away ...

X0ssbar

I don't have a problem with this comment.

In fact, I welcome it. The NHL could use some more attitiude and trash talking - makes for good press and gets people talking (like us for example :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->