Is Ovechkin a top 5 forward in the league?

Going into 19-20 is Ovi a top 5 forward?

• Total voters

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
I'm thinking that Austin has this posted on his locker.

5 goals in his first 3 games this year.
That's nice but , Ovechkin has had 7 in his first 2 games and that was just 2 years ago. Can Matthews get 50+? I'm betting yes but until he does it it's an if, not a sure thing like some on here are treating it.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That's nice but , Ovechkin has had 7 in his first 2 games and that was just 2 years ago. Can Matthews get 50+? I'm betting yes but until he does it it's an if, not a sure thing like some on here are treating it.

No Austin getting 50 isn't a sure thing but we are talking about this season and Mathews is leading Ovechkin in goals scored.

That will remain true until Ovechkin passes him right?

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
No Austin getting 50 isn't a sure thing but we are talking about this season and Mathews is leading Ovechkin in goals scored.

That will remain true until Ovechkin passes him right?
What are you even trying to prove right now? You're comparing a guy who's never gotten 50 or won a goal scoring title to a guy that's won it what, 8 times now and won it last year? Are you just being a contrarian for contrarian's sake? It's so stupid.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
What are you even trying to prove right now? You're comparing a guy who's never gotten 50 or won a goal scoring title to a guy that's won it what, 8 times now and won it last year? Are you just being a contrarian for contrarian's sake? It's so stupid.

You're talking to one of the biggest Crosby fanboys, should probably just stop lol.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
You're talking to one of the biggest Crosby fanboys, should probably just stop lol.
It's fine to love a player but when you do everything you can to disparage his biggest rival [mod] then you need to be called out for it. Embarrassing really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

We have been down this road before Ovechkin is 5th in ESG in the last 3 years

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

He is also 34 this year so it's relevant.

You are talking about Mathews like he can't score he actually only has 22 less goals in 33 less games overall in the last 3 years despite being 19,20 and 21 those years.

Like I said he has a 4 goal lead on Ovechkin right now, we can talk later if Ovechkin catches him.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

When one has a weak or no arguments name calling comes out eh?

I'm a fan of the game don't bother trying to speak for me, it really doesn't help any argument you bring forward.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
When one has a weak or no arguments name calling comes out eh?

I'm a fan of the game don't bother trying to speak for me, it really doesn't help any argument you bring forward.

There's no point "arguing" with people who are so biased. For example, remember the list of who was the best player each season in the Crosby thread? I said OV in 09/10 and Crosby in 12/13. You brought up hart voting from 09/10 to suggest OV wasn't the best, but why didn't you bring it up for 12/13? Oh right, because OV won that year. Your obsession with Crosby and attempts to downplay OV are pretty pathetic.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
There's no point "arguing" with people who are so biased. For example, remember the list of who was the best player each season in the Crosby thread? I said OV in 09/10 and Crosby in 12/13. You brought up hart voting from 09/10 to suggest OV wasn't the best, but why didn't you bring it up for 12/13? Oh right, because OV won that year. Your obsession with Crosby and attempts to downplay OV are pretty pathetic.

I don't downplay Ovechkin, he is the greatest goal scorer of all time IMO.

But it's pretty clear that he is second to Crosby in their time in the NHL when you use total context, others here seem to think that goalscoring trumps everything else and some posters make ridiclous comments when comparing Ovechkin and Crosby and really can only see Goals, goals and more goals and little else.

Yes and you can read all of my posts in the thread to get some context.

In 09-10 H. Sedin won the Hart and Ovechkin and Crosby were both close.

Given the team mates and how much Crosby was head and shoulders above the rest of his team compared to Hank and Alex there.

Remember the Hart isn't just a best player trophy, value to team also comes into play...well at least some seasons.

This is how TSN has them ranked in their top 50 from 2010 to 2017

Crosby 2010-2016 (7 years) is #1 and is #2 for 2017 behind McDavid

Ovechkin from 010 to 2018 is 2,2,14,7,12,5,8 and 22nd in 2017

https://www.tsn.ca/a-new-no-1-mcdavid-edges-crosby-in-tsn-s-top-50-player-poll-1.867210

for 2018 Crosby was still 2nd behind McDavid and Ovechkin was 12th

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-top-50-player-ranking-1.1180399

For the record the 2018 ranking does seem a bit low as Alex was coming off a Conn Smythe so that should have probably bumped him up to the top 5-8 area at least.

Although these rankings are based on what TSN thinks of players going into the next season base on past and recent performance and overall context, age, 2 way play ect....and to be fair to TSN Alex was entering his age 33 season last season and he did drop from 11th to 15th in total points.

You can disagree with me all you want but don't go around throwing accusations about bais here, I back up my arguments with something concrete and I'm always a big picture guy, not a cherry picker.

More information gives a clearer picture than just some of the story.

Ovechkin's days as a top 5 forward in the league are now over as he is 34 and there are simply more than 5 guys better than him at this point.

Crosby is 32 this year and last year might be the final year that he is in the top 5 as well but we don't know how this season or 21 or 22 are going to go yet.

If I was a betting man I would suspect that in the season that crosby is 34 (21-22)it's pretty likely that Crosby will no longer be a top 5 player or even forward either.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
We have been down this road before Ovechkin is 5th in ESG in the last 3 years

Player Season Finder | Hockey-Reference.com

He is also 34 this year so it's relevant.

You are talking about Mathews like he can't score he actually only has 22 less goals in 33 less games overall in the last 3 years despite being 19,20 and 21 those years.

Like I said he has a 4 goal lead on Ovechkin right now, we can talk later if Ovechkin catches him.
Stop making things up. Are you even reading what I'm writing? I literally just said that Matthews can definitely get 50+. Stop wasting my time.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Stop making things up. Are you even reading what I'm writing? I literally just said that Matthews can definitely get 50+. Stop wasting my time.

You made 2 references to downplay Matthews in the post I quoted.

I merely pointed out what Matthew's actually accomplished.

If you think I'm making things up point out the error in the stats.

This is why I provided a link to the last 3 years.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
You made 2 references to downplay Matthews in the post I quoted.

I merely pointed out what Matthew's actually accomplished.

If you think I'm making things up point out the error in the stats.

This is why I provided a link to the last 3 years.
How is saying the truth downplaying him? Honestly please tell me how pointing out that he's never scored 50 goals, finished a season healthy or led his team in points is disparaging him? Not to mention I literally added he has all the potential to do so.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Sorry, that 69 point magnus opus to lead the 16/17 Leafs slipped my mind, the rest and more important parts about his goal scoring output which are the entire point of this post and comparison are.
You literally proclaimed how you were telling the truth and you weren't downplaying him, and then 2 out of the 3 things you said right after that were untrue statements downplaying him. :eyeroll:

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad