Is Ovechkin a top 5 forward in the league?

Going into 19-20 is Ovi a top 5 forward?

• Total voters

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I'm confused - Ovechkin has more ice time than Matthews or doesn't?
He does. This doesn't mean it was "earned" more than Matthews.

Scoring "rates" don't mean anything.
This is incorrect. It is valuable information.

All scoring "rates" do for you is give you a sense of what the future might hold.
This is incorrect. Scoring rates add context to things that happened in the past, and provide a clearer picture of what the future likely holds, which is what this whole thread was about.

You're saying Matthews is the fastest through 100m even though he never wins a race. "Yeah but it's because my starts suck, but just wait until i start better!"
It has nothing to do with good or bad starts. Starts are something in control of the individual, and in this example, Matthews would be faster over the whole 100m.

This is an advantage that one person is getting over another, and in the sports world, everybody knows that unequal circumstances are not the best way to determine who is best at something.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Really?
Doesn't this link show Ennis above Matthews? 2018‑2019 NHL Scoring Leaders
Among players who played at least half the 2018-19 season, Matthews was 13th, Ennis 10th (Ovechkin 5th, Tavares 2nd)
I don't even see Ennis on that page.

I'm looking directly at Natural Stat Trick. Matthews ES P/60 was 2.93. Ennis was 1.84.

Matthews had 53 ES points in 1,085 minutes. Ennis had 13 ES points in 425 minutes. Do the math yourself if you don't believe me.

This is a beyond stupid tangent anyway, since all you're attempting to do is ignore context of the situations to discredit a set of statistics based on your improper use of them.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Look again.
#25 Tyler Ennis
#29 Auston Matthews

EDIT - Oops, I see you two are talking about points.
You and I were talking about goals not points (I'm thinking the other posting mistyped, and was actually talking about goals not points too, given their Ennis/Matthews comment).

P.S. I was surprised to see Matthews not even in the top 10 for goals per 60 (and below both Ovechkin and teammates) given how often that stat is used to promote Matthews as being the better goalscorer

Last edited:
Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Look again.
#25 Tyler Ennis
#29 Auston Matthews
#25 on that list is Stamkos, and #29 on that list is Duchene. I have no idea what you're looking at.

I gave you the site. I gave you the numbers from that site. I gave you the raw numbers and minutes from NHL.com if you want to do it yourself.

As I said, this is a beyond stupid tangent anyway, since all you're attempting to do is ignore context of the situations to discredit a set of statistics based on your improper use of them.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
#25 on that list is Stamkos, and #29 on that list is Duchene. I have no idea what you're looking at.
For even strength GOALS per 60 Ennis (and others, including Ovechkin) are all above Matthews

Beyond another poster's typo no one but you was talking about points per 60.

Matthew's ESG per 60 was surprisingly low last year (not even top 10 among those who played at least half the season...3rd on his own team)

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

I'm looking directly at Natural Stat Trick. Matthews ES P/60 was 2.93. Ennis was 1.84.

Matthews had 53 ES points in 1,085 minutes. Ennis had 13 ES points in 425 minutes. Do the math yourself if you don't believe me.

This is a beyond stupid tangent anyway, since all you're attempting to do is ignore context of the situations to discredit a set of statistics based on your improper use of them.

We’re talking about es GOALS/60... which on QuantHockey has Ennis aboveMatthews.

Does this make Ennis a better goal scorer than Matthews? Would he lead the league in scoring if given Ovechkins ice time?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
For even strength GOALS per 60 Ennis (and others, including Ovechkin) are all above Matthews
By 0.03 while playing against much weaker competition in a small sample in limited minutes, which is a MASSIVE outlier from the entire rest of his career.

When we increase that sample a little bit to 2 years, we see Matthews actually increases to 1.53 ES G/60, and Ennis plummets to 0.76; literally less than half of Matthews. This isn't even getting into the PP.

As I said, all you're attempting to do is ignore context of the situations to discredit a set of statistics based on your improper use of them. This exact same topic was discussed earlier in this thread.

Beyond another poster's typo no one but you was talking about points per 60.
You mean the poster who literally started this entire ridiculous tangent? Am I supposed to read minds?

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
I feel like Zeke is alive and well in this thread.

As for Ovechkin, I think he probably slots outside of the top 5 going into 19/20.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You should tell that to this guy:

I mean we’ve been talking about goals this entire time as well as has already been corrected, so you’d think with your almighty intelligence you’d know a spelling mistake.

Now back on topic, was Matthews not top 10 in esg/60 last season? Was Tyler Ennis a better rate scorer than Matthews ?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I mean we’ve been talking about goals this entire time as well as has already been corrected, so you’d think with your almighty intelligence you’d know a spelling mistake.
I went by what you said. People bring up all kinds of stupid arguments in their attempt to discredit rate statistics. How am I supposed to know which one you're going to pick?

Was Tyler Ennis a better rate scorer than Matthews?
I've already gone over this above.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
If I’m not mistaken, did Tyler Ennis not score at a better ESP/60 than Matthews this past season?
You should tell that to this guy:
It was simply a typo. If you'd actually clicked on the link I provided you would have realized this

Now back on topic, was Matthews not top 10 in esg/60 last season? Was Tyler Ennis a better rate scorer than Matthews ?
I was legitimately surprised that Matthews was 3rd on his own team (and behind Ovechkin too)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
It was simply a typo. If you'd actually clicked on the link I provided you would have realized this
Typo or not, I have no way of knowing that. I did click on the link, and no, that did not show anything. It actually went to ESP/60.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I went by what you said. People bring up all kinds of stupid arguments in their attempt to discredit rate statistics. How am I supposed to know which one you're going to pick?

I've already gone over this above.

So the answer was yes?

Was Matthews also outside the top 10 in ESG/60? While being 7th in GPG and 17th in actual goals scored?

And yet you think it’s all of us who are “uninformed” and wrong and that Matthews is the best in the NHL? :laugh:

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Clearly you didn't read very well.

It’s a simple yes or no answer.
Did Ennis have a better Esg/60 than Matthews last season? I’ll answer for you. Yes he did.

I like how you just completely ignore how Matthews wasn’t in the top 10 for esg/60, 7th in GPG and 17th in total goals :laugh:

But of course you would, because it goes against the hilariously bad take you have

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
It’s a simple yes or no answer.
Did Ennis have a better Esg/60 than Matthews last season? I’ll answer for you. Yes he did.

I like how you just completely ignore how Matthews wasn’t in the top 10 for esg/60, 7th in GPG and 17th in total goals :laugh:

But of course you would, because it goes against the hilariously bad take you have

Seems to be a pattern with this guy: He edits out your point and responds to some small tidbit.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I like how you just completely ignore how Matthews wasn’t in the top 10 for esg/60, 7th in GPG and 17th in total goals
The only thing being ignored here is critical context, by you. This has already been explained multiple times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad