Is Ovechkin a greater player than Yzerman and Sakic

what do you think?

• Total voters

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
You are not wrong but he also never faced the same kind of stacked teams and shared PP ice-time etc with as many great players. There is a reason McDavid produce as much as he does(or why Karlsson did it, atleast that's what ive heard).

Anyway I rank him above both but in terms of absolute ability they are in the same tier, he is just a more special players since he got a case for being greatest goalscorer of all time.
I absolutely agree they’re in same tier but I have ovi higher (not by much)

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Bias? They were the reason why the Caps were winning Presidents. I'm literally using objective facts here lol. You're just injecting random garbage and insisting on them. Look Ovi is an all-time great but he's lower than Sakic and Yzerman. Period.
Okay objective facts

ovi has more harts then those two combined
Hell just look at the trophy case difference

All 3 are top 15/10 players of all time but ovi is higher. Period.

Like that?

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Idk how anyone thinks Ovi is better than both unless they look at just the stats. Both Sakic and Yzerman were guys you built championship teams around and they will deliver. Ovi had stacked teams and continuously failed and the one time his team pulled through, it wasn't like the lit the world on fire. This is a joke. It's classic HF

1. Stats over eye test
2. Not understanding it's about game impact and not numbers
3. Recency bias
4. Highlights over the entire game
5. Not understanding intagibles

I should open up a school, business would be booming with the help you guys need.

LOL. Did you get into hockey in 2011?

Ovi peaked the highest (07-10), quite easily had the best prime (05-13), and had the best career given his goal scoring prowess.

And this is coming from an Avs fan.

Last edited:

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I’ll tell you what, I could not downplay Ovechkin’s unique accomplishments by ranking him below either Sakic or Yzerman on all time lists at this point.

I would place Ovechkin higher in all time ranking.

However, if playing in a game 7 tonight with my mother’s life on the line, I choose Yzerman or Sakic above Ovie without a moments hesitation. Not sure if that should influence who I think is greater

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Ovi had stacked teams...

That's not remotely accurate.

The Capitals never had a legitimate blue line until Orpik and Niskanen arrived in 2014-2015. That was Ovechkin's 10th year in the NHL. Prior to that they were giving heavy minutes to the likes of Tom Poti, Jeff Schultz, Dennis Wideman, Scott Hannan, Karl Alzner, etc. Each of these guys left the Capitals and sucked or were out of the NHL within a couple years.

Orpik and Niskanen were a huge upgrade over what the Capitals had prior to that. And Pens fans warned that Orpik was garbage (he wasn't).

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Idk how anyone thinks Ovi is better than both unless they look at just the stats. Both Sakic and Yzerman were guys you built championship teams around and they will deliver. Ovi had stacked teams and continuously failed and the one time his team pulled through, it wasn't like the lit the world on fire. This is a joke. It's classic HF

1. Stats over eye test
2. Not understanding it's about game impact and not numbers
3. Recency bias
4. Highlights over the entire game
5. Not understanding intagibles

I should open up a school, business would be booming with the help you guys need.

LMAOOOO. Yzerman didn't do shit in the playoffs until Fedorov, Lidstrom and Chelios showed up. The wings were a laughing stock when he was the center piece. Thanks for the laugh though.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
OV is easily ahead of both. Best peak, best prime, individual trophy case is bigger than Yzerman+Sakic combined, more ASTs, etc (even after removing 99/66). No debate.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Hmm that's a good question
Similar tier probably although Ovi's goal-scoring is pretty unique
I'd say he's slightly ahead of both.

DowJones

Aug 30, 2008
An easy Yes from a me, and I am from a generation where Jagr, Forsberg, Fedorov, Yzerman and Sakic were the idols.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I think it's pretty close and could go both ways. I think Ovechkin is the greatest goal scorer of all time and I might rank him ahead of those guys on my all-time list based on that. However, if I think I'd take both Yzerman and Sakic on my team before Ovechkin just based on all-around game.

63 others

Mar 3, 2018
That says more about the GM’s ability to get players then ovechkins

also how stacked were those red wings and avalanche teams ? More stacked than any team Ovechkin has been on
They went against teams more stacked than every team ovi faced though

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
Ovi has the better peak for sure, the problem is that it only lasted ~3 years, and since then he's been a bit one-dimensional aside from that (although he does throw some big hits).

Sakic was a better scorer than some may think, barely losing the Ross (but winning Hart) in 2001 to Jagr, and behind only Lemieux & Jagr in 1996.
Top 5 in scoring six times and top 10 ten times.

Sure, we know Ovi & Crosby won Smythes, but Sakic's performance in the Avs' two Cup wins is what you think of when you think of that award:
60 points & 31 goals (incl. 9 GW) and +16 in 43 games

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I see you're still quite dull. Picked a random year they won the presidents (Washington Capitals Stats | 2009-2010). They were stacked bud, Ovi just doesn't have the intagibles, game impact, or ability to raise everyone elses game like Sakic and Yzerman could. That's why those two are better
lol, the difference between Sakic 2 Cups and Ovechkin 1 cup is "intangibles". Nah..

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I see you're still quite dull. Picked a random year they won the presidents (Washington Capitals Stats | 2009-2010). They were stacked bud, Ovi just doesn't have the intagibles, game impact, or ability to raise everyone elses game like Sakic and Yzerman could. That's why those two are better
My god, you're abrasive. Every post of yours contains unnecessary hostility and insults. Still mad about the latest choke lol.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Pretty sure Ovi would not have the same number of awards if he had to play in the same years with 66 and 99 like Sakic and Yzerman had to.
Yzerman finished 3rd to Lemieux and Gretzky in 1989. Sakic was never beaten out solely by Gretkzy and/or Lemieux. That is the sole extent to the Hart Trophies that Gretzky and/or Lemieux blocked from Sakic or Yzerman.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Yzerman finished 3rd to Lemieux and Gretzky in 1989. Sakic was never beaten out solely by Gretkzy and/or Lemieux. That is the sole extent to the Hart Trophies that Gretzky and/or Lemieux blocked from Sakic or Yzerman.
I never mentioned Sakic or Yzerman would have more trophies... Only that Ovi would have less.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Ovi was the Gretzky or Lemieux of his generation... he prevented guys like Datsyuk, Tavares and Iginla from winning the hart who were the Sakic’s/Yzerman of theirs.
Ovi would have been bitch slapped by 66 and 99 just like the rest of the league.

Only Erik Karlsson could hang in the Super League with Lemieux and Gretzky. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad