Is Ovechkin a greater player than Yzerman and Sakic

what do you think?

• Total voters

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
So there was a thread in the main board about Ovechkin's legacy, and what a 2nd cup would do. there was some discussion about him being/not being greater players than Yzerman and Sakic.

What is your take on that? has ovie surpassed these guys, or will he always be behind them on an all time list?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yea. His peak plus goalscoring consistency after his peak and his health puts him ahead. I do think I'd take a healthy Sakic on my team most years outside of their peaks, but that's more based on valuing a rounded center more than a goalscoring winger when building a team.

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
Idk how anyone thinks Ovi is better than both unless they look at just the stats. Both Sakic and Yzerman were guys you built championship teams around and they will deliver. Ovi had stacked teams and continuously failed and the one time his team pulled through, it wasn't like the lit the world on fire. This is a joke. It's classic HF

1. Stats over eye test
2. Not understanding it's about game impact and not numbers
3. Recency bias
4. Highlights over the entire game
5. Not understanding intagibles

I should open up a school, business would be booming with the help you guys need.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Greater than both. Being the best goalscorer of all time automatically puts Ovi in the top 10 players of all time (and fairly high at that). Neither Yzerman nor Sakic is even close.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I would put him ahead of both. His trophy case speaks for itself and he was widely considered a top 2 player in the league for the better part of a decade.

Neither Sakic or Yzerman have nearly the number of trophies nor were considered the undisputed top player in the league at any time

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Idk how anyone thinks Ovi is better than both unless they look at just the stats. Both Sakic and Yzerman were guys you built championship teams around and they will deliver. Ovi had stacked teams and continuously failed and the one time his team pulled through, it wasn't like the lit the world on fire. This is a joke. It's classic HF

1. Stats over eye test
2. Not understanding it's about game impact and not numbers
3. Recency bias
4. Highlights over the entire game
5. Not understanding intagibles

I should open up a school, business would be booming with the help you guys need.
That says more about the GM’s ability to get players then ovechkins

also how stacked were those red wings and avalanche teams ? More stacked than any team Ovechkin has been on

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
That says more about the GM’s ability to get players then ovechkins

also how stacked were those red wings and avalanche teams ? More stacked than any team Ovechkin has been on
Lmao, you're joking right. Those caps team were winning presidents and always choked, especially Ovi. I see you have the memory of a fish. But that's okay, I'm here to help.

Czech Your Math

I am lizard king
Jan 25, 2006
bohemia
I think he's better/more valuable than Yzerman was, but it's too close to call for me against Sakic.

Sakic was a better playoff performer, and he was just so clutch, one of the few whose production didn't really suffer that much against the better defensive teams in the playoffs, and he scored big goals.

Ovechkin has a small edge in peak/prime vs. Sakic, he's a better goal scorer (obviously, I mean that's his thing), he may catch Sakic in career value as well.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Sakic , Forsberg, Foote, Blake, Hejduk , Borque, Drury, Roy

Yzerman, zetterburg, datsyuk, chelios, lidstrom, federov, shanahan, hasek, hull, larianov, robitalle

ovi, backstrom, Oshie (not in the same realm), Carlson (not in the same realm) kuz (maybe?)

One of these things is not like the other

Reactions: Eisen

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Lmao, you're joking right. Those caps team were winning presidents and always choked, especially Ovi. I see you have the memory of a fish. But that's okay, I'm here to help.
New

Yzerman, zetterburg, datsyuk, chelios, lidstrom, federov, shanahan, hasek, hull, larianov, robitalle

ovi, backstrom, Oshie (not in the same realm), Carlson (not in the same realm) kuz (maybe?)

the guy also has more harts than those two combined​

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS

Don't watch a ton of the Caps but isn't Carlson very much in that realm?

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
New

One of these things is not like the other​
I see you're still quite dull. Picked a random year they won the presidents (Washington Capitals Stats | 2009-2010). They were stacked bud, Ovi just doesn't have the intagibles, game impact, or ability to raise everyone elses game like Sakic and Yzerman could. That's why those two are better

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
I see you're still quite dull. Picked a random year they won the presidents (Washington Capitals Stats | 2009-2010). They were stacked bud, Ovi just doesn't have the intagibles, game impact, or ability to raise everyone elses game like Sakic and Yzerman could. That's why those two are better
Ovi, backstrom, semin (for one of the three years he was good) and mike green, that’s still only 4 hardly stacked

brooks laich was 5th on the team in scoring lol

BlueAzN

Jan 3, 2009
In South Carolina
Ovi, backstrom, semin (for one of the three years he was good) and mike green, that’s still only 4 hardly stacked

brooks laich was 5th on the team in scoring lol
Bias? They were the reason why the Caps were winning Presidents. I'm literally using objective facts here lol. You're just injecting random garbage and insisting on them. Look Ovi is an all-time great but he's lower than Sakic and Yzerman. Period.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
New

the guy also has more harts than those two combined​

You are not wrong but he also never faced the same kind of stacked teams and shared PP ice-time etc with as many great players. There is a reason McDavid produce as much as he does(or why Karlsson did it, atleast that's what ive heard).

Anyway I rank him above both but in terms of absolute ability they are in the same tier, he is just a more special player since he got a case for being greatest goalscorer of all time. If I pick one for a playoff game id take Sakic, one for peak regular season probably Yzerman and for career Ovi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad