Is our defence good enough?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm going to be a bit surprised if Byram gets sent down at all... Avs like to have their top prospects in house as quickly as possible. If he shows he can take a regular shift, he'll be up all season IMO.
I have some concerns that Avs will "Samuel Girard" him like Nashville did with Samuel Girard.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I have some concerns that Avs will "Samuel Girard" him like Nashville did with Samuel Girard.

Me, trying to figure out what this means.

upload_2019-7-6_15-20-27.gif

ThatAvsGamer

Feb 21, 2013
Ontario
Would you prefer them playing in the defensive zone? It’s barely going to happen.
What was I thinking? Who cares how they play in our zone. The puck will be in the other teams zone 99.9% of the time. Why would I care how a rookie dman and a young d man play in our own zone when we just lost our best defender?? I’m insane.

Reactions: FreshFitted67

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
What was I thinking? Who cares how they play in our zone. The puck will be in the other teams zone 99.9% of the time. Why would I care how a rookie dman and a young d man play in our own zone when we just lost our best defender?? I’m insane.
Don't worry we'll do jussssst fine.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Reactions: CobraAcesS

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
A lot of weight will be placed on Zadorov, Cole, EJ, and Girard. Makar can't be expected to be an all-world defender in his first pro season, obviously neither can Byram. But they will both contribute offensively.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Good enough for what? A playoff spot? Most likely. A cup run? Probably not.
I hate statements like this. "This one area isn't good enough to win a cup"

Every year we see teams win with a major weakness or two. One year it's a goalie who was in the AHL a few months ago, a few years before it's Pens with Ian Cole as their best defenseman who wins two straight cups.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
My dream right now is to sign Jake Gardiner to a 1-2 year deal and resist the temptation to throw in Byram too early.

Reactions: Avsboy

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Good enough for what? A playoff spot? Most likely. A cup run? Probably not.
Did you see the defense Pitt ran with to win their second cup? Justin Schultz was their 1D in the playoffs. Anything can happen, and with our top two centers finally settled I think we can go deep.

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
Did you see the defense Pitt ran with to win their second cup? Justin Schultz was their 1D in the playoffs. Anything can happen, and with our top two centers finally settled I think we can go deep.

MacKinnon and Kadri are not Crosby and Malkin though.

But yes, anything is possible and I wouldn't rule it out entirely.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
MacKinnon and Kadri are not Crosby and Malkin though.
Not sure if either any of them were amazing during their Cups runs IMHO.

First Cup, which the Blues pretty much copied. They hired a coach who fit their style and that culture change sparked a hot streak which entered the postseason with one line that feasted upon the bottom-pairing defenders of other teams.

Second Cup, probably going to be a bit more negative here, but I still think Predators win if Johnasen wasn't injured and Rinne didn't look like a tyre fire on the road.

I think out of all the (recent) years, I thought Crosby looked the most dominant when Capitals finally beat them two years ago. He had like 21 points or something in 12 games, far exceeded the two previous years. Another factor is the fluke goaltending they had, Fleury was there to beat the tough teams which he obviously wasn't able to replicate all playoffs long so Murray was able to come in and keep the momentum on Penguins side which lead to wins.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Meaning playing him once every two weeks to extend his nine games before ultimately making a decision to send him back down. That's what the Predators were going to do with Samwise before they traded him to us.

Yeah but how much of that was Nashville trying to draw things out so they didn’t have to send him back to junior before they finalized the Duchene trade? Having Girard potentially be NHL ready that year was a part of the Avs wanting him.

I don’t think we have to worry about the Avs drawing things out anyway. They’ll give him his tryout if he earns it and make their decision.

Nashville could afford to keep Girard as a scratch with their stacked veteran blue line. If Byram is with the Avs, he’s playing over guys like Connauton and Rosen.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
He's never going to be a top pair guy again, but as a limited #3/4 I think he's going to do well enough.

If you had written that several months ago before Makar arrived and then suggested trading Barrie then people would have been apoplectic and there's a good bet you'd have been hunted down and drawn and quartered for your post. Not suggesting it mind you. Just saying.

Reactions: Foxtail

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It depends on how they deploy EJ. If they try to use him as a shutdown guy again I think he'll struggle. I don't care what people say, he's a puckmover. His defensive acumen has always been a bit wonky, his true value lies in his ability to jump into the play and create offense. Without that he is average at best defensively...and I'm not convinced he's even average anymore That's why I hope they don't try him with Makar or Girard. I would rather he be with Z or Cole.

EJ is that one very rare bird though, a guy who doesn't put up good fancy stats whom the fancy stats community actually likes.

Reactions: flyfysher

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad