Is NXT... underrated? What is the best wrestling promotion today?

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This stems from Seth's idiotic tweet. I really was thinking to myself - what is the best promotion right now? NJPW? AEW (too soon w/o television/more shows)? WWE? NXT?

Then I really started thinking about it. NXT is not only the best wrestling promotion today, it is vastly underrated IMO. Once again - just my opinion, but NXT's weekly show is awesome and some of the matches on the weekly show dominate WWE PPVs. Takeovers are mindblowing stuff. It's the right amount of time for their weekly show/PPVs. The cost is insanely cheap. The promos make sense. The storytelling is great. The PPVs feel big. The show is produced well.

When I really started thinking about the debate on what the best promotion is right now - it's NXT and IMO it ain't even close. So 2 questions -- 1) Is NXT underrated? 2) What is the best wrestling promotion right now?

(I obviously respect anyone's opinion as this is all subjective in the end. Just thought it'd be a fun discussion)

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think New Japan and NXT are like 1A and 1B.

I wish HHH had more control where he could do one off feuds where main roster talent rarely showed up to wrestle NXT talent. Like how Breeze came down but with bigger stars.

Someone like Orton walking into Full Sail to challenge Johnny, or hell Cena coming to wrestle Dream?

Idk I was just brainstorming how they could do so much more with NXT as a legitimate third brand as opposed to how it’s still considered a hybrid between developmental and a third brand.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
NJPW is the best but if you’re not used to the style they use to build to their bigger shows (tag matches on smaller shows, etc) then NXT is the easier viewing since it follows the WWE style of build.

I think NXT is the 1B to NJPW’s 1A.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
People don’t watch NXT because it is not on regular cable. It is the best of the three WWE brands by far.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
NXT is untouchable for me. its always consistent quality. even NJPW isnt as consistent

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
People don’t watch NXT because it is not on regular cable. It is the best of the three WWE brands by far.

I was kind of hoping the rumor of them being on FS1 was true. It would expose more people to the greatness of the product. The action is good, the storylines have time to develop and are kept simple. Plus Mauro is so darn awesome on commentary.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I was kind of hoping the rumor of them being on FS1 was true. It would expose more people to the greatness of the product. The action is good, the storylines have time to develop and are kept simple. Plus Mauro is so darn awesome on commentary.
I fear that would kill NXT eventually. They would want the show to be longer than an hour and it would be live everytime (not that being live is bad). We would be over exposed to certain talent and it could lead to people being over/under booked. I recently started to watch NXT more since my work schedule is making me miss RAW and Smackdown. I wish the show was longer because not every wrestler can be fit into every episode but it makes the show more unpredictable so thats always fun.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NXT going to TV and leaving the network would kill the network. They can't do it.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
People have thought NXT was going to die so many times and I feel it's stronger than ever. It is so good. Want a women's cage match that kills it? Check. Want a 6 man tag that kills it? Check. Want promos that don't seem scripted? Check.

It's so good. And one thing WWE gets better than any other promotion is camera shots. They know where the cameras need to be. The camera work to tell the story is 5* shit.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
NXT is untouchable for me. its always consistent quality. even NJPW isnt as consistent
This is where the style of programming comes into play imo. NJPW is just small shows between their big ones with tag matches to keep the workers fresh and less “sports entertainment” based, whereas NXT is still in the sports entertainment realm. I don’t think they can be compared for that reason alone and they’re more 1A/B.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
100% agree. NXT has been the best thing in wrestling for a few years now.

NJPW might put on more 4 star matches at the G1 or something, but as a foreigner its not easy to get into and follow. There is no weekly 1 hour show to progress storylines. I mean there was the G1, then some melbourne show, how do I follow all this and watch it in english? If I get NJPW world do they have a show?

Also NJPW does not have womens wrestling. In todays enviroment thats a big negative. You won't see an Io/Shayna cage match in NJPW. And no Mauro or Nigel either. Announcers make a big difference.

So for NJPW they might have better matches, but the overall product can't touch NXT as far as weekly shows, PPV's, announcing, womens wrestling, and just overall ease. I guess if you are in Japan its different but from a North American perspective NXT edges it out.

AEW has ran 3 shows. Good shows but they still don't have TV. There roster is top heavy but thin once you get past that. NXT has put on 25 takeovers that have all been pretty much praised and each one topping the one before it. AEW has a long ways to go to match the consistency of NXT.

NXT has one of the best rosters in wrestling and I would put it against anyone out there pound for pound. I also am a huge fan of Dream and think that he is basically the total package and maybe the guy with the best future in the wrestling business.

NXT's tag team division has been killing it for years. Revival, Alpha, DIY, AOP, UE, MM, its just been classic after classic.

The womens division is probably the best. It started the womens revolution with the 4 horsewomen, gave us Asuka, and now the badass that is Shayna.

The 1 hour TV show is a breeze to sit through. You usually get 1 good to great match (like Breeze vs Strong, or Io vs Shayna) some shorter matches that put over the talent with wins and great hype promos. Mia Yims and Coles hype packages have been great.

Mauro and Nigel are the best commentators in the business. The production values are of course on par with WWE in general.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad