Is Nick Backstrom a Hall of Famer?

Is Nick Backstrom a Hall of Famer?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
I think backstrom has 5 more seasons in him. That nets him 300p and lands at 1100p.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Backstroms stats are very impressive relative to his era, but Sundin was one of the best and most productive centers during the DPE. He wasn’t a product of any higher scoring era.

Backstroms playmaking and solid defense does make him a more noticeable/stand out player.
Quebec probably traded him because they thought he was just a guy putting up numbers on a bad team that was a product of the era but the fact that he was a 1C for the 14 years after that is why he’s a HoFer. Backstrom needs 3-4 years of 1C play to be a likely HoFer, I think Backstrom had a better prime but Sundin’s consistency should be the 1st thing on his plaque - 16 straight seasons over 0.9 ppg.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Quebec probably traded him because they thought he was just a guy putting up numbers on a bad team that was a product of the era but the fact that he was a 1C for the 14 years after that is why he’s a HoFer. Backstrom needs 3-4 years of 1C play to be a likely HoFer, I think Backstrom had a better prime but Sundin’s consistency should be the 1st thing on his plaque - 16 straight seasons over 0.9 ppg.

Backstrom has played with Ovechkin often during his prime instead of with guys like Mike Johnson, Derek King, Freddy Modin, Steve Thomas, Sergei Berezin, Jonas Hoglund, Mike Renberg, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Darcy Tucker and Nik Antropov, and while he may be better defensively, Sundin was much better at scoring goals.

There have been very few seasons where he's led his team in points. Sundin led a team in points 13 times.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Easily a hall of famer. Why do people still think you need tons awards and accolades to make it? If you go near a ppg in your career you are a lock.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I thought saying Backstrom had 1 100 point season and is worse than Sundin was bizarre when over their 1st 11 seasons Backstrom’s offensive numbers are so much better relative to his peers plus he’s a better defensive player. Not sure if you know but scoring was much higher in the 80s and 90s.

This is perhaps Sundin's best 11 season stretch: 1995-1996 to 2007-2008.

NHL.com - Stats

Tenth in points per game among players who played at least 400 games (0.03 PPG behind Kariya and Selanne, who played together during that period, and just barely ahead of Thornton and Kovalchuk in PPG). Third in total points. Fifth in total goals.

Backstrom from 2007-2008 to 2017-2018:

NHL.com - Stats

Also tenth in points per game among players who played at least 400 games (barely behind Getzlaf, Datsyuk and St. Louis; ahead of Thornton and Tavares). Fifth in total points. Tied for 46th in goals but better Selke record than Sundin had from '96-'08. Has played with Ovechkin often.

I do not see an advantage for NB.

Last edited:
Reactions: Midnight Judges

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
This is perhaps Sundin's best 11 season stretch: 1995-1996 to 2007-2008.

NHL.com - Stats

Tenth in points per game among players who played at least 400 games (0.03 PPG behind Kariya and Selanne, who played together during that period, and just barely ahead of Thornton and Kovalchuk in PPG). Third in total points. Fifth in total goals.

Backstrom from 2007-2008 to 2017-2018:

NHL.com - Stats

Also tenth in points per game among players who played at least 400 games (barely behind Getzlaf, Datsyuk and St. Louis; ahead of Thornton and Tavares). Fifth in total points. Tied for 46th in goals but better Selke record than Sundin had from '97-'08. Has played with Ovechkin often.

I do not see an advantage for NB.
I’m cherry picking the sample to present a better case for 19 with the 1st 11 years so he needs a 75 or so point season to keep pace, but with the quality of teammate stuff Sundin played on teams where someone had to score, and if he played on better teams with better linemates I think his usage would balance out and the numbers be the same.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I voted no right now, but if he ages well I think he'll reach enough point totals to get in. If he wins another cup in his career, or an Olympic gold, I think he'll be a lock to get in eventually.

GlitchMarner

Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
I’m cherry picking the sample to present a better case for 19 with the 1st 11 years so he needs a 75 or so point season to keep pace, but with the quality of teammate stuff Sundin played on teams where someone had to score, and if he played on better teams with better linemates I think his usage would balance out and the numbers be the same.

Hopefully he bounces back from what was kind of a meh season for him. He did look better down the stretch and was good in the playoffs. With his playing style, he should still be a big threat on the PP when he's older.

I think playing with a player (and goal scorer) of Ovechkin's calibre, especially during his best seasons, is going to boost a centre's point totals, but Backstrom does have an advantage against Sundin when it comes to defense.

Mar 14, 2015
He got alot of hockey in him left that is going to decide that, but yeah I think he will end up in the HOF.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Numbers wise, for sure. 5 times in top 10 points and more or less PPG through +800 games and counting. But I think the jury maybe will get the feeling...where is the meat? No hardware, never even really close, not a great playoff performer (though no Thornton either lol)...

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I thought saying Backstrom had 1 100 point season and is worse than Sundin was bizarre when over their 1st 11 seasons Backstrom’s offensive numbers are so much better relative to his peers plus he’s a better defensive player. Not sure if you know but scoring was much higher in the 80s and 90s.

But there's no context to any of that. The number of 100 point scorers doesn't tell how they fared over the years because many of those are going to come in the same seasons. 100 point scorers have become increasingly rare but that doesn't make Backstrom's 100 point season look better because he hasn't been close to 100 points in these subsequent years. Likewise, many of the 100 point years Sundin dealt with came in the years right after he entered the league. That doesn't give a good idea about how that played out over his career. It's more akin to random fact than anything telling.

I don't think Sundin is way ahead either, but first 11 years includes Sundin entering the league earlier as well as the fact that the disparity in scoring between the early years of his career and the later ones is greater than it is for Backstrom. This is going to benefit guys who were at the top of their games earlier in Sundin's career in such a comparison.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Easily a hall of famer. Why do people still think you need tons awards and accolades to make it? If you go near a ppg in your career you are a lock.
Not really...

Turgeon
Mogilny
Propp
Middleton
Larmer
Maruk
Fluery
Smith
Gilbert
Taylor
Roenick
Damphousse
Tkachuk

All players close or at a PPG, none are HOFers. The criteria isn’t that simple or that easy in general. There should be a lot more context. It’s the “Hall of Fame.” Are awards and individual success a must? No, but it certainly says a lot about your impact and overall performance as a players.

Backstrom has been a great player.....but he’s very under the radar.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Not really...

Turgeon
Mogilny
Propp
Middleton
Larmer
Maruk
Fluery
Smith
Gilbert
Taylor
Roenick
Damphousse
Tkachuk

All players close or at a PPG, none are HOFers. The criteria isn’t that simple or that easy in general. There should be a lot more context. It’s the “Hall of Fame.” Are awards and individual success a must? No, but it certainly says a lot about your impact and overall performance as a players.

Backstrom has been a great player.....but he’s very under the radar.

Its way harder to go ppg in todays era. Theres been 10 people who have been above a ppg since Backstrom is in the league.

Everyone who is above his ppg is gauranteed to be in the HOF.

Im assuming his production doesnt fall off a cliff though.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Its way harder to go ppg in todays era. Theres been 10 people who have been above a ppg since Backstrom is in the league.

Everyone who is above his ppg is gauranteed to be in the HOF.

Im assuming his production doesnt fall off a cliff though.
So we are talking about today’s era or overall?

Again, there is no guarantees and it’s silly to suggest that. It takes more. You can be a PPG player and still not stand out, it happens.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
So we are talking about today’s era or overall?

Again, there is no guarantees and it’s silly to suggest that. It takes more. You can be a PPG player and still not stand out, it happens.

You obviously cant compare ppg players from 20 years ago till now is what im saying. Backstrom might also retire as #2 all time Swedish scorer , so theres also that.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
You obviously cant compare ppg players from 20 years ago till now is what im saying. Backstrom might also retire as #2 all time Swedish scorer , so theres also that.
Maybe, but to do that he needs to maintain a good pace and be consistent. I said it before, that will be his ticket. Maybe with some 2017 type high end seasons in the mix.

I mean since 2014, there are only 4 PPG players and 7 with a 0.95 or better within the top 50 scorers. Obviously scoring is down, but to say all.....if not most will end their careers near a PPG, or are even “easily” HOFers right now is absurd.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Should he? No. I would put him near the top of the Hall of Very Good.

Will he? Probably. The standards have never been very high.

Its a reputation game. Backstrom seems to be well liked and respected in the hockey world, that goes a long way with voters.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
After his 6 first years I would've voted "yes", but somehow he hasn't progressed as I expected during usual prime years (25-30). I think his best personal trophy "success" (not counting 2nd in Calder as it obviously has small contender bowl which differs in quality year-to-year) has been 7th in Selke voting. So, I woted "no" to this. Hope, he proves me wrong though!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad