Is Nick Backstrom a Hall of Famer?

Is Nick Backstrom a Hall of Famer?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
He's a great player but doesn't get into the hall. He has no hardware.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Yes, and pretty easily. He was getting in before the cup and the cup just made it into a guarantee for me

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
I'd say yes, but it's close.

Selke placements: 7/10/11/12/18/23/28

Top 10 point finishes: 4/4/6/8/9
Top 10 assist finishes: 1/2/3/3/3/3/7
Top 10 Hart finishes: 9/9

Likely finishes with 1100-1200+ points in his career. He currently sits at 799 points, and only needs 1,158 points to be #2 for all-time Swedish born points. He's only 30 right now, so I don't see why he wouldn't hit that.

People argue for a lot of other players such as Kessel, Marleau, Getzlaf, Zetterberg. Backstrom definitely has a better case than Kessel/Marleau, and equal if not slightly better than Getz and big Z in my opinion.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
The eligible people with the most adjusted points not in the HoF are Pierre Turgeon, Daniel Alfredsson, Roenick, Brind'Amour, and Damphousse. Backstrom has 899 adjusted points and 1 Cup and those guys have 1315-1193 adjusted points and combined 1 Clancy, 1 Lady Byng, and 2 Cups. If he plays 6 more seasons and gets 400 more points he would be more qualified than any eligible player not in the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: Hivemind

tomi2

Mar 1, 2007
No. He was a great player in his prime but never truly elite. Yeah he has one 100-point campaign in his resume next to all time great AO. Outside of that no elite-seasons. He was not a great international player. Somebody compered him to Sundin. Sundin was at least as good in the NHL than Nik and worlds better in international stage.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
No. He was a great player in his prime but never truly elite. Yeah he has one 100-point campaign in his resume next to all time great AO. Outside of that no elite-seasons. He was not a great international player. Somebody compered him to Sundin. Sundin was at least as good in the NHL than Nik and worlds better in international stage.

And no matter if we like it or not, long term C of the Leafs counts for a lot.

Reactions: tomi2

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Toews was the Captain of 3 Stanley Cup Champion teams, no? He was also a heck of a player during those playoff runs.
I didn't say Toews was a bad player. I just think Nick is better. He's had a better peak, prime, and has had a longer prime as well. I saw the Toews HHOF thread recently and it immediately came to mind when I read this one.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
There have been 17 100 point seasons during Backstrom's 11 year career, one of which was his, and he had the 5th most points over that span. During the 1st 11 years of Sundin's career there were 68 100 point seasons, one of which was his, and he had the 12th most points in that span.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
There have been 17 100 point seasons during Backstrom's 11 year career, one of which was his, and he had the 5th most points over that span. During the 1st 11 years of Sundin's career there were 68 100 point seasons, one of which was his, and he had the 12th most points in that span.

This is a really bizarre argument

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I feel Backstrom needs to put together more top notch seasons before calling him a HOFer. He’s been a very good playmaker and center, even dare I say underrated, but he has the playoff success and great numbers. I feel consistency while maintaining his play will be his ticket if anything.
He’s 5th in points and 2nd in assists since his rookie year. He just needs to maintain that sort of play.

It also doesn’t help having a generational talent on your own team with little to separate yourself from him and the team.
Toews was the Captain of 3 Stanley Cup Champion teams, no? He was also a heck of a player during those playoff runs.
Brown captained a team to 2 cups, does that make him better?

Toews vs Backstrom can go either way. The difference is Toews is a media darling with a lot of international and team success attached to him, while Backstrom has the better numbers and is IMO the better overall player. It’s basically defense vs offense, with Toews being the better playoff performer, but with Backstroms recent run, that should have a more positive impact on his value.
Neither had Mats Sundin
Sundin has the numbers and international success to be a HOFer. He was never borderline. He was a model of consistency, and for a majority of the time in a lower scoring era with a lot of top centers.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
This is a really bizarre argument
I thought saying Backstrom had 1 100 point season and is worse than Sundin was bizarre when over their 1st 11 seasons Backstrom’s offensive numbers are so much better relative to his peers plus he’s a better defensive player. Not sure if you know but scoring was much higher in the 80s and 90s.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I thought saying Backstrom had 1 100 point season and is worse than Sundin was bizarre when over their 1st 11 seasons Backstrom’s offensive numbers are so much better relative to his peers plus he’s a better defensive player. Not sure if you know but scoring was much higher in the 80s and 90s.
Backstroms stats are very impressive relative to his era, but Sundin was one of the best and most productive centers during the DPE. He wasn’t a product of any higher scoring era.

Backstroms playmaking and solid defense does make him a more noticeable/stand out player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad