Is Nazem Kadri a power forward?

Would you categorize Nazem Kadri as a power forward?

• yes

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • no

Votes: 141 94.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyBorgman

Oct 4, 2017
Voted yes but no he's not heavy enough to qualify. He is one of the better hitters pound for pound though.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I wouldn't call him a power forward. He's a pest with a strong 2-way game who is good at picking his spots to lay guys out.

There aren't many true-power forwards left. The only true 1st line center quality power forward off the top of my head in the league is Getzlaf. Most power-forwards who provide quality scoring (and thus aren't labeled just grinders) tend to be wingers. There's Benn, Ovi, Perry (although falling off), Evander Kane (I wouldn't put him on the 1st line, more because his game is best driving its own line), Kreider, Simmonds, etc.

I see the term now getting thrown around to guys like Eichel, Matthews, etc. They do use their size to drive the net and are overpowering, but they don't play the body and lay guys out nearly enough (especially Matthews).

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
When I think of power forwards, I think of guys like Eric Lindros, Cam Neely, Keith Tkachuk, Jarome Iginla, Shanahan, and more recently a guy like Lucic. Kadri doesn't intimidate players much imo, he is like a scrappy pest, but guys aren't scared to go in the corners against him. Power forwards are a combination of skill, brute force and a desire for occasional pugilism imo. There are exceptions, like Ovie, who can steamroll guys, but doesn't seem to do it that often and isn't big on fighting. So I don't know if you can really classify Ovie as a power forward, I don't watch him enough to know.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Honestly this shouldn't be a question. Not all players who are good with the physical side of the game are power forwards. Power forwards overpower other players routinely. We don't see Kadri routinely overpower other players, that does not mean in any way that he isn't a good physical player.

araisarena

Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/Ann Arbor
Not a power forward but he's a very adaptive high end skill forward. Can play perimeter game because of his hands and vision, but also you see where most of his goals come from the hard areas because of his IQ, hands in tight and real quick release. Power forwards don't really exist out there anymore but you do have big guys with plentiful skill (Getz, Eichel, Benn, Matthews, Voracek, etc etc). Nonetheless Kadri is a real good player and we're lucky to have a guy like him to win.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
He covers some of that role and makes plays from where "Power Forwards" do within 10 feet of the net. I wouldn't label him a prototypical power forward, but he's adaptable

Lavina21

Mar 30, 2019
Russia
If Kadri is a solid two way forward, why did he play only 1:11 minutes throughout the whole 2018-2019 season in PK?

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
He's a a top 6 two-way center that also happens to be a rat. Gonna miss having him

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
If Kadri is a solid two way forward, why did he play only 1:11 minutes throughout the whole 2018-2019 season in PK?
The emergence of Kapanen and Marner as penalty killers kept Kadri on the 1st PP unit from a special teams perspective. Kapanen is a legitimate offensive threat shorthanded with his speed, and Marner is a puckhound on the PK and was very disruptive. Brown and Hyman were always going to get minutes on the PK because of Babs.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
A skilled forward with good but not great two way play and an agitation component who crosses the line too many times and in the best of times can get 30-25-55.

A middle class man's Marchand, or Marchand is a wealthy man's Kadri.

But not a power forward. Getzlaf, Benn and Ovechkin are the only pure power forwards left, but lots of guys have components of their game that are vaguely power forwardish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad