Is Morgan Reilly a #1 Defenseman?

Is Morgan Reilly a #1 Defenseman?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
No, Morgan is not a #1 Dman.He skates like a #1 and I think he is decent, but if he is the #1 on your team,then you're probably not winning the cup!
Will he get better,? maybe,but he has shown his deficiencies and some of those will not likely improve .
He is not physically imposing enough to hold off bigger forwards in his own end,cannot clear the crease,can't handle speedsters,does not have a point shot worthy of a #1,is very hesitant in the O-zone,his wrister is not great either. Basically , he is a #2 at best.Also, the points are more a representation of the wonderful forwards he passes to that score ,not because of some intelligent,skillful play that he initiated!

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
No, Morgan is not a #1 Dman.He skates like a #1 and I think he is decent, but if he is the #1 on your team,then you're probably not winning the cup!
Will he get better,? maybe,but he has shown his deficiencies and some of those will not likely improve .
He is not physically imposing enough to hold off bigger forwards in his own end,cannot clear the crease,can't handle speedsters,does not have a point shot worthy of a #1,is very hesitant in the O-zone,his wrister is not great either. Basically , he is a #2 at best.Also, the points are more a representation of the wonderful forwards he passes to ,not because of some intelligent,skillful play that he initiated!

1/6 is pretty good.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
No, but that doesnt mean he's not a #1D. He'd probably be my 10-15 option.
Yeah ,not me .I've been hoping he gets better since day one. He would never be a starter on my team. He is not a defensive stalwart and he is not a threat to score. How can he be viewed as a #1?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Yeah ,not me .I've been hoping he gets better since day one. He would never be a starter on my team. He is not a defensive stalwart and he is not a threat to score. How can he be viewed as a #1?
No offence but when you're talking about defensemen being "threats to score" , thats really just a group of 4 or 5 defensemen that are basically wingers who play D.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
No offence but when you're talking about defensemen being "threats to score" , thats really just a group of 4 or 5 defensemen that are basically wingers who play D.
No,no it really isn't! Tell me the attributes of Morgan, keep in mind I'm a fan of his who has seen enough of his game in all situations. He is not good enough to be a #1 in any category.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
No,no it really isn't! Tell me the attributes of Morgan, keep in mind I'm a fan of his who has seen enough of his game in all situations. He is not good enough to be a #1 in any category.
But he doesn't need to be a #1 in any category. Id rather have a defensemen thats an 8/10 in Defence, and offence, than a defensemen thats a 10/10 on offence and a 4/10 on defence.

Theres such a thing as complete dmen and rarely are they elite in all categories.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
But he doesn't need to be a #1 in any category. Id rather have a defensemen thats an 8/10 in Defence, and offence, than a defensemen thats a 10/10 on offence and a 4/10 on defence.

Theres such a thing as complete dmen and rarely are they elite in all categories.
Ok, sure, I was of the same mindset originally, but for me he just isn't good enough in any category,except skating of course !The thing is, I don't see how he will improve his skill set given his lack of ability so far.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
You mean our player who is our primary poker gets more ice time in a game when power plays are 6-1? Again outing yourself as clueless.

You'd think that if Rielly was a number 1 D and good defensively (like every leafs fan say), he would be getting at least a couple of minutes on the penalty kill, but nope.
Babcock even trusted Zaitsev and Polak more than Rielly for the penalty kill

Hainsey: 8 minutes PK
Zaitsev: 5 minutes
Polak: 3 minutes
Rielly: 1 minute

Rielly ended up 3rd in ice-time, and only played 1 more minute than Polak who was 5th in ice-time.
Elimination game, and your "1D" barely plays more than Polak hmmm

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
You'd think that if Rielly was a number 1 D and good defensively (like every leafs fan say), he would be getting at least a couple of minutes on the penalty kill, but nope.

Rielly ended up 3rd in ice-time, and only played 1 more minute than Polak who was 5th in ice-time.
hmmm so you didn't watch the game. Neat. Nice hot take though.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario

Rielly faces top competition and gets tons of ice time at even strength and is our powerplay quarter back, if you can avoid burning him by not making him kill penalties too, there is no reason why you shouldn't. Guarantee if this game was not a gongshow penalty wise, he has the most minutes played.

Last edited:

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Leafs fan here . Not yet . Rielly is not yet a number 1 D. He has gotten better in pretty much every category in the last 2 season . He has made massive improvement all around but hes still not a numbre 1 IMO I think he is a number 2 right now . Defense men usually don't hit their prime until age 24-26 With exception of elite players , D take the longest to mature for what ever reason. looks at B.Bruns guy has had his best hockey after the age of 30 lol ( NOT COMPAIRING RIELLY TO BURNS AT ALL) just stating that D take longer to hit their ceiling.

Rielly could possible be a NUMBER 1 D in the NHL but as of right now today, He's not hes a solid number 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->