Is Mikko Rantanen the best player in NHL at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
Hmm well that's a little concerning then, because I felt like they were creating much more dangerous chances than most lines last season as well. It's possible that last season that didn't tell on their conversion rate as clearly as their chance generation; whereas this season they're just creating chances that are so good that they don't need to throw as many pucks at the net to bring that rate down; but I'd feel more comfortable about projecting them to blow away other line's OISH% when this season comes to end.

That said, just from watching them play 100 pts from both MacK n Mikko doesn't feel like a stretch at all without even looking at their point totals. Will be very interesting to see what happens with their advanced stats by seasons end because shot quality has never really been a factor that's been accounted for because NHL teams generally all play the same style & depth has been king for the past decade+; but more teams stacking elite lines with players who can truly change their line's shot-quality dramatically enough to throw off tradition advanced stats, could be really interesting to watch play out.
having an on ice percent of 11+ back to back would indicate what you are saying. that's like prime crosby stuff. i think what all their on ice shooting% is showing is they are very good at converting scoring chances.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
having an on ice percent of 11+ back to back would indicate what you are saying. that's like prime crosby stuff. i think what all their on ice shooting% is showing is they are very good at converting scoring chances.
There’s even one word for describing it:

Skill!

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Rantanen this season reminds me of Mats Sundin in 1992-93 when he got off to that insane start and ended up with 114 points. While Mats was never the "best player in the NHL" he was consistently a top player and reliable performer. If Rantanen ends up in the mold of Sundin, he'll have a heck of a career. But, no, Rantanen is not the best player in the NHL.

Reactions: AvsGuy and Foppberg

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm sure this has been mentioned but McDavid plays in the NHL.

Short Answer: No

Long Answer: Noooooooo

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Rantanen only had 1 point tonight. He's he gone cold? Will McDavid close the 11 point gap? Will Matthews be given the Art Ross and Rocket because he would have won them if he wasn't injured?

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Rantanen only had 1 point tonight. He's he gone cold? Will McDavid close the 11 point gap? Will Matthews be given the Art Ross and Rocket because he would have won them if he wasn't injured?

No, and MacKinnon and Kucherov got 0 points. Mathews is far away. Rantanen for Art

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
No, and MacKinnon and Kucherov got 0 points. Mathews is far away. Rantanen for Art
Yah I was joking with the dumb questions. I think MacKinnon will take it over Rantanen, but either one is fine with me

Geordie

Jul 22, 2016
Chemistry is a huge factor. Rantanen on another team with other linemates, probably nowhere near his current point total. That said, chemistry and linemates ARE part of the game. Mikko is very, very good. The best, not a chance. Not even top 10 probably. The difference between a good player and a great player is how they perform when you take them out of their comfort zone. Great players make the players around them better and I think Rantanen is on the other end of that theory. If you look at Mikko's assists, which make up the majority of his points, not many of them are crazy vision passes for an empty net goal. He kinda just finds Mack and the rest is history.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
Rantanen is a beast. He’s getting the Art Ross. And yeah, he’ll outperform McDavid this year. Regarding the ”who’s better” question, I think the whole question is so childish that it doesn’t deserve any answer.

I’m curious when’s the last time a second liner, or a player who isn’t even a top 20 player in the league, won the Art Ross?

Rantanen is grossly underappreciated.

Last edited:

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Goal again... he has been leading the league like 2 months now or more? Why not hes not gonna win the art ross?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's pretty insane that he's getting close to 50 and we aren't even damm close to 1/2 of the season.

Reactions: cgf

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Top line got split up for the 3rd period and he didn't score or get an assist. Guess he really isn't that great.

Reactions: cgf

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Top line got split up for the 3rd period and he didn't score or get an assist. Guess he really isn't that great.

I mean.... We were told multiple times that he's nothing more than a 2nd liner. Coach just putting him back where he belongs tonight.

Anyway, on another note... A lot of talk lately has been about how consistently great McDavid is over the course of a season and that's why he always wins the scoring races... Well we're now approaching the 30 game mark and I believe Rantanen has had at least 1 point in all but 5 games this year. He started the season off with a 9 game point streak and he's now on a 10 game point streak active right now.

He's doing essentially what McDavid does, picking up points consistently every night(McDavid has points in 23/27 games so far as well).

Reactions: The Abusement Park

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
He very easily could have had 4 points tonight. Not his best night, but he was strong on the puck. MacKinnon has had trouble finishing lately, and Rantanen has cooled off a bit because of it. It's certainly not for lack of chances, just no finish.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I mean.... We were told multiple times that he's nothing more than a 2nd liner. Coach just putting him back where he belongs tonight.

Anyway, on another note... A lot of talk lately has been about how consistently great McDavid is over the course of a season and that's why he always wins the scoring races... Well we're now approaching the 30 game mark and I believe Rantanen has had at least 1 point in all but 5 games this year. He started the season off with a 9 game point streak and he's now on a 10 game point streak active right now.

He's doing essentially what McDavid does, picking up points consistently every night(McDavid has points in 23/27 games so far as well).

The top line isn't finishing chances very well right now. They are due for a big game.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
If the Avs break up that top line, they deserve to fold. You keep that line together and ride or die with them.

Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->