Is Mike Smith the worst goalie in the league?

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Essentially if the Flames had an elite goalie, it would be boring because a good goalie could make 20 routine saves a night and 2-3 good chances; and the Flames would have the puck all night.
When we get average goaltending, we look elite; because the defence is grade A, the coaching is grade A and defensive coverage on lines is up there among the best when everyone's healthy.

To answer this question. Mike Smith has been bad this year more than he has been good. Like I mentioned, all we ask for on our team is that we can get a guy who makes routine stops and we are like 50/50 getting that with Smith; alone he's probably cost the Flames a solid 6-10 points, which is obscene.

They'd be winning like 5-2 or 4-1 every game with one shutout win per week.
Perhaps set the single season record for goal differential if they had Gibson.

Reactions: Bleedred

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
They'd be winning like 5-2 or 4-1 every game with one shutout win per week.
Perhaps set the single season record for goal differential if they had Gibson.

With Gibson, it'd be absurd.
A team that out-shoots their competition handily, out-chances their competition handily, limits chances... yet they give away so many god damn points because of goaltending.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
The first and third goals last night he didn't have much chance on. The second goal was pretty bad rebound control. Really no excuse for the fourth goal. Any pro goalie should be making that save easily.

The Flames didn't give up a ton of shots last night, but they did give up some high danger scoring opportunities.

Smith is just so inconsistent. I think the goaltending is going to hurt the Flames in the end, despite Rittich's stellar play so far.

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
The first and third goals last night he didn't have much chance on. The second goal was pretty bad rebound control. Really no excuse for the fourth goal. Any pro goalie should be making that save easily.

The Flames didn't give up a ton of shots last night, but they did give up some high danger scoring opportunities.

Smith is just so inconsistent. I think the goaltending is going to hurt the Flames in the end, despite Rittich's stellar play so far.

The first goal was entirely stoppable. Rittich (calmly) made the same save at the start of OT before we turned it around and scored. With Smith that would have been in the net.

Side note: There needs to be an impact tracker embedded in his logo for how many times he ends up flat on his chest in front of the net. Seriously, the guy flops like he's trying to do a Fortnite dance

lawrence

May 19, 2012
in terms of actual "starters" yes he is one of the worst in the league. guys like Schneider and Markstrom don't count since they are back ups now.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
At this point the Flames' best bet is likely to go 1a/1b with Smith and Rittich which is pretty much what they've been doing lately. Just run out whoever has the hot hand at the time.

This has the added benefit of ensuring neither gets over-worked.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
He just had about 5 solid games in a row before last night. I think he has the yips.

The way Calgary plays is straight up unfair to goaltenders though. The defense plays with so much pressure that the shot totals are usually lopsided in our favor but if they sneak passed the pinch, there are a lot of odd man rushes. Think I saw last night was 19 shots, 13 scoring chances. That's brutal for a cold goalie. And then we have such a young line up, Hanifin, Andersson, Kylington, and Valimaki, that are not perfect in their own zone and have breakdowns. Also unfair to goalies. And then to add to that problem of inexperience, we've had so many injuries in the bottom 4 that we can't stick with a pairing for more than 5 games.

Andersson - Valimaki were starting to look quite solid together but then Valimaki got hurt and it's been a revolving door since then. The absence of Valimaki makes me think he's even better than I did when he was playing. Kid just does things right and we're missing that now.

Even with the not perfect defense, the amount of inexcusable goals he lets in is way too high but he's not as bad as his SV% seems.

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
With Gibson, it'd be absurd.
A team that out-shoots their competition handily, out-chances their competition handily, limits chances... yet they give away so many god damn points because of goaltending.

Thats the thing that kills me. He absolutely cost us at minimum two points in October, and could arguably be responsible for 4-6 points total. We're already riding pretty high in the standings, but an additional couple wins when Anaheim, San Jose and the Oilers are all hot right now sure would be nice.

DecadeofDarkness22

Jun 5, 2014
mike smith is awful as f...i cringed everytime he starts at home for the flames...really hope management would pull the trigger and get a legit goalie.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’ve been doing a “Softy of the night” every night this season, which I’m surprised hasn’t already gotten me a cease and desist letter from the goalie union. :laugh:

Mike Smith has probably had the softy of the night about 6 or 7 times this season, including last night. He even had the softy of the night in a game where he allowed just one goal.

It’s not even that Mike Smith just allows a lot of stoppable goals, he allows a lot of brutal goals that are just completely horrific this year.

As far as consistency goes, there are worse goalies in the league, who have been bad for years and years now, while Smith has mostly been average, with one really good season (11-12) and one really poor season (14-15) in there. But as far as the worst I’ve seen this year? It’s close between him and Jake Allen, as far as guys that have played 10 or more games goes. Both a lot of stoppable and weak goals, but the ones on Smith look really ugly.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
Fine, hate to lose Smith but I guess we’ll have to settle for Carter Hart :sarcasm:
Hart is sporting a sub-.900 in A. No guarantee he turns into a full time nhl starter. NHL Goaltending is like nfl qb play. Impossible to predict if guys can transition to the show.

Duffalufagus

Jan 4, 2017
Also, I’d say Smith has cost the Flames about 4 points this year if averages are factored in. He’s won a couple of games for them, so those need to offset the egg carton full of bad goals.

Bottom line is the flames are a contender from the blueline out. But you can’t make a cup run without elite goaltending and, right now, the Flames don’t have that.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
in terms of actual "starters" yes he is one of the worst in the league. guys like Schneider and Markstrom don't count since they are back ups now.
Markstrom is still the starter in Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad