Speculation: Is Mike Johnston the Johnston we have been hoping for?

kris leturnover

Mar 3, 2014
Pittsburgh
Craig has been fighting for his job for years. That's why he has so much motivation, why he's able to work so hard. Even if he's injured, or tired, he won't show it. He won't risk missing any games and risk having someone outshine him in his spot. I've said this again and again, you just respect the guy, you respect the effort he puts in. If Craig was a better hockey player, it would be a great thing for the Penguins franchise.

Oh dear lord, my sides.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Yohe was on the last Pensnation podcast and noted that he discovered/was a little surprised to learn that question isn't exactly limited to these circles or just hockey fans:

http://www.spreaker.com/user/thepen...sh-yohe_1?utm_source=widget&utm_medium=widget

EDIT: This is NOT groundbreaking stuff. It's why the Pens won a cup when Bylsma replaced Therrien, kept the structure in place, kept things simple, and then just loosened the reigns and let talent dictate outcome. It's when he decided in July 2009 that he knew everything and put his vaunted system fully into place that things went awry and we learned that improperly harnassed talent cannot dictate outcome (something we learned before Therrien was fired).

Anyone have a link to that podcast that works?

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
Is the general consensus that dear diary is a part of the bylsma/adams household or do people believe it's the fake account of some rabble rouser?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I have reason to believe DD went to Penn State or Keystone College:

tumblr_n890mkU7yU1txyx4lo1_1280.png

My guess is Penn State based off of the constant refusal to let go of good things from the past.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Is the general consensus that dear diary is a part of the bylsma/adams household or do people believe it's the fake account of some rabble rouser?

He's very specific about who he sticks up for so I'd have to go with the former, although the positive comments that come through on FB for "heart and soul" players that you can find a dime a dozen in the league are much more prevalent than I would have thought, so who knows. DD even took it (his Adams love) to the main boards in the iron man streak thread.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
He's very specific about who he sticks up for so I'd have to go with the former, although the positive comments that come through on FB for "heart and soul" players that you can find a dime a dozen in the league are much more prevalent than I would have thought, so who knows. DD even took it (his Adams love) to the main boards in the iron man streak thread.

It's worth noting that we (and I use even that generally) here are more or less the exception when it comes to our team fandom. Most were adamantly defending all things Penguins up until the very, very bitter end this past year. And some even still won't let it go.

It was the same when Patrick was fired. It was the same when Therrien was fired.

Though it was not the same when Edzo was fired. Pretty much even the neophytes knew he was awful.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
It's worth noting that we (and I use even that generally) here are more or less the exception when it comes to our team fandom. Most were adamantly defending all things Penguins up until the very, very bitter end this past year. And some even still won't let it go.

It was the same when Patrick was fired. It was the same when Therrien was fired.

Though it was not the same when Edzo was fired. Pretty much even the neophytes knew he was awful.

That's certainly true, but hasn't his name been registered here since like 2010 or something like that? I find it hard to believe one could be here for that long, read the debates and arguments put forth, and still feel as though Adams is a good player - never mind actually watching a game and seeing how atrocious he is.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well... I'm sure he thinks that we're the ones who have little actual knowledge of the game. And that the Facebook/******/Twitter crew are the real hockey minds. I know that sounds pretty elitist of me... but my experience through the years at HF is that generally this is the biggest bastion of good hockey minds in fandom. And that social media is a cesspool.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Well... I'm sure he thinks that we're the ones who have little actual knowledge of the game. And that the Facebook/******/Twitter crew are the real hockey minds. I know that sounds pretty elitist of me... but my experience through the years at HF is that generally this is the biggest bastion of good hockey minds in fandom. And that social media is a cesspool.

I feel the same way. HF is where it's at.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013

In about every way imaginable.

I'll give it to Adams that he's a hard worker, willing to give up his body, and may be a good guy (not sure how much I'll ever put into locker room issues coming from the media unless multiple players come out and say something). But it doesn't matter how hard you work if you just don't have the legs anymore and never had the skill to begin with. He had a nice career, time to hang them up.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

It is in general for anything. Although, I do like to read it when things happen because I'm a horrible person.

HF is good, it's got a lot of users and some of them are really knowledgeable (I like to learn things or gape at people's memories) with enough people who know what they're talking about. The mods are solid, not psychotic internet Nazis or completely absent, and people bring the funny.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'm just simply too old, cranky and not tolerant enough of morons, children and even older crankier people than myself for social media, any longer. Every picture shared of Bill Gates in the hopes of receiving <X amount of money> makes me die a little bit more inside.

Twitter has always seemed pointless, to me. Perhaps because I could never limit myself to that few characters. I tend to take a while to roll around to my point.

Which is that HF is pretty alright.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
That's certainly true, but hasn't his name been registered here since like 2010 or something like that? I find it hard to believe one could be here for that long, read the debates and arguments put forth, and still feel as though Adams is a good player - never mind actually watching a game and seeing how atrocious he is.

If it's Dan, perhaps he joined in 2010 to lurk and read everyone praising him and his buddy Craig...and then didn't come back until he had more free time :sarcasm:. The more I think about it, "Dear Diary" could be a hint that he's telling the inside scoop on how things "really" are/were...

Dear Dan...er, Diary: You seem like a nice enough guy, but most people here developed hockey hatred for you and your buddy Adams with good reason. Time to let it go. Have a nice life.

Too bad Dear Diary wasn't around more pre-playoffs last season (at least that I noticed while lurking)...that would've been a good twist on the anti-Bylsma avatar theme. "Had a lovely lunch with Craig today." ;)

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
If it's Dan, perhaps he joined in 2010 to lurk and read everyone praising him and his buddy Craig...and then didn't come back until he had more free time :sarcasm:. The more I think about it, "Dear Diary" could be a hint that he's telling the inside scoop on how things "really" are/were...

Dear Dan...er, Diary: You seem like a nice enough guy, but most people here developed hockey hatred for you and your buddy Adams with good reason. Time to let it go. Have a nice life.

Too bad Dear Diary wasn't around more pre-playoffs last season (at least that I noticed while lurking)...that would've been a good twist on the anti-Bylsma avatar theme. "Had a lovely lunch with Craig today." ;)

Too much credit being given but I could almost see the "dear diary" line as a shot indirectly at "internet warriors" like myself criticizing from afar.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
The CDC has determined that consuming posts derived from Deer Dairy can be hazardous to your health. You are strongly encouraged to cleanse your minds and move on.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The CDC has determined that consuming posts derived from Deer Dairy can be hazardous to your health. You are strongly encouraged to cleanse your minds and move on.

That explains my lingering cough.

Has the CDC been nice enough to share the cure?

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
finally listened to that pens nation interview with Yohe.
WOW, I don't know where this Josh Yohe has been, but I like what he was saying anyway. I'm really looking forward to this season even more now. The comments about other NHL coaches don't think much of Dan Blymsa, to comments about how he told Rossi "wow you must be angry". Pure gold.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
http://citizensvoice.com/sports/bennett-excited-for-fresh-start-1.1757651

A fresh start, with Johnston at the helm, might benefit Bennett as much as anyone on the Penguins roster.

“With Coach Dan, I wish him all the best, but as a young guy, it was a little different,†Bennett said. “You’re definitely held accountable with anyone, to a certain extent, but as an offensive guy, you could make a mistake last year and that could be it for your game.

“To be able to come to the bench and have a positive influence say, ‘Try this next time’ or ‘Do something better’ rather than putting you down or giving you the death stare. It’s good either way, because it keeps you accountable, but I think the positivity will go a long way.â€

Johnston is giving Bennett a look on the third line with Steve Downie and Brandon Sutter, but it’s a different feel than when he was slotted into the bottom six at times over the last two seasons.

For one thing, Johnston said he wanted a skill guy and a hard-working checker to play with Sutter. Bennett would be the skill guy, which, as he showed while accruing 22 assists in 42 career games with Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, is a role that suits him.

So it sounds like...

a) Johnston is much more lenient with young players, instructing rather than punishing after mistakes are made; and,

b) Johnson isn't trying to force players into roles that suit them - Bennett isn't being put on the third line to be a grinder; he's being put on the third line to be a skill guy.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yikes^
I love Beau's openness about it though and it doesn't seem as if the higher ups are stepping in/shooshing him since he has quotes about the old regime daily.

MJ is definitely going to be a teacher here and not a task master. MJ's background is purely "teacher" and that should bode well for young guys. Next it will be about getting the young guys to actually play, especially on D. (ie. eventually trading Scuds/Martin)

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
So it would seem we were totally right with our over-zealous ice time and linemate analyses over the last couple seasons. Bylsma really was just that biased. Good riddance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad