Is Matt Murray Broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What argument?

There is reality and then there is fantasy.

I know what this board was saying in 2010 through 2013. I know what the casual Pens fan was saying in that time frame.

This board is now using the same BS excuses to defend a goalie who's literally been one of the worst netminders in the league this year and half of last year.

I'd post numbers, but why bother? It's just more literal facts I'm not wasting energy on. Plus I've seen all the games. Literally.

Okay, so you're just full of **** and you think that saying "I'm right because I'm right" means your word holds any weight. Gotcha. Spoiler alert, if your opinion was worth enough where just saying something makes it right, you wouldn't be posting on a hockey board.

I'll just call you a Fleury fanboy, because that's really obvious what you are and you're just playing the "I went after Fleury too!!!!" angle to try and hide that.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Okay, so you're just full of **** and you think that saying "I'm right because I'm right" means your word holds any weight. Gotcha. Spoiler alert, if your opinion was worth enough where just saying something makes it right, you wouldn't be posting on a hockey board.

I'll just call you a Fleury fanboy, because that's really obvious what you are and you're just playing the "I went after Fleury too!!!!" angle to try and hide that.

Spoiler alert.

Being "right" is perception. No different than reality.

BTW, if you can find anything on this website that promotes me as a MAF fanboy/homer, I'll gladly dunk my head into a public toilet and lick the bottom.

Reactions: Big JD

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Chiodo played 14 years of professional hockey all around the world, retiring in 2017. Mike Buckley has a hockey school.

Me questioning Chiodo does not equal me supporting Buckley.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Labeling anyone who criticizes MM a 'Fleury fanboy' is such a pathetic argument. Liking MAF doesn't have anything to do with MM and his play. Not to mention the IE was not a big fan of MAF.

Maybe anyone who supports MM should be labeled a 'Murray fanboy' and their opinion should be ignored?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Labeling anyone who criticizes MM a 'Fleury fanboy' is such a pathetic argument. Liking MAF doesn't have anything to do with MM and his play. Not to mention the IE was not a big fan of MAF.

Maybe anyone who supports MM should be labeled a 'Murray fanboy' and their opinion should be ignored?

Nah, it's a perfectly reasonable argument when they've shown time and time again that they're horrible biased against Murray and have a hard on for Fleury. If you don't want to be called a Fleury fanboy, maybe you should be more objective in discussions. There's a reason everyone calls out those people, it's because it's obvious.

People like you have shown you're incapable of having a discussion about Murray without being super biased. It's really obvious in your case that you hold a grudge against Murray for taking Fleury's spot, seeing how you take bashing Murray to ridiculous levels and crazily defended Fleury at every turn. If you don't want your opinion wrote off as one of a fanboy, don't make it so obvious.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

Eeeeeeexactly.

I've always been someone who bashes players on this board when they warrant it. Same thing for giving props when they deserve it.

I honestly never was the biggest MAF fan but I respected the hell out of him because no matter how bad things got he never complained, he never said the wrong thing. He always had a positive attitude and by all accounts was a massively positive influence in the locker room, which people overlook in competitive sports. I was fortunate enough to meet Marc Andre twice, briefly and he was extremely gracious and didn't mind chatting with a "nobody".

And yeah MAF had some very, very bad stretch runs, namely in the postseason. But one also has to remember the man has been in the NHL since he as a teenager which is nearly unheard of for goalies. His career is a massive sample size and he's still playing at a high level now. He joined a dumpster fire roster and within a few years was helping lead us to back to back Cup runs. The man has been around forever, and he's going to likely end up with the 3rd most wins in the history of the league when it's all said and done.

Yes, between 2010-13 he was awful. NOBODY worth a damn will ever deny that, but if you look at his overall playoff record outside of that 4 year window, he was well above average and was incredible in 2008, solid in 2009, playing back to back massively impressive efforts against a tremendous Red Wings squad in games 6 and 7. In those 2 games MAF saved 48 of 50 shots, including an all time great, Cup winning save with 2 seconds left against one of the greatest players of all time in Lidstrom.

The problem is I think this board has a lot of younger people who were only kids during those 2 runs and don't remember how damn good MAF was for the bulk of both runs, coming up with massive efforts in crucial situations.

We don't win in 2017 without MAF. That's a cold hard fact. His performance against Washington was elite. Goes into their building, game 7 and shuts them out?

The guy really was the first building block in the resurrection of the franchise. Yeah, he absolutely deserved a shit load of criticism at different periods, but he also had numerous important moments along the way. And at the end of the day, the biggest reason for failures between 2010-14 was Dan Bylsma and to a lesser extend Ray Shero. I'd certainly argue MAF was the worst player for much of that time but comparing those 2 clown ass names above to the current coach and GM is a fool's errand. Sullivan is 100x the coach Bylsma ever was and JR is in the HOF, largely because of what he did repairing the damages of his predecessors. And i say that as someone who had to eat crow on JR because I pretty much loathed the hire at the time.

And at the end of the day, I truly hope Murray figures it out. We're more likely to win another Cup if he does. Murray was a MAJOR reason for the back to back Cup wins. The last goalie to win the Cup with back to back shutouts was a legend named Terry Sawchuk for Detroit back in the early 50's. He'll always have a place in our hearts because of him stepping up as a young kid and playing well beyond his age.

But right now, he is trash. Plain and simple.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Nah, it's a perfectly reasonable argument when they've shown time and time again that they're horrible biased against Murray and have a hard on for Fleury. If you don't want to be called a Fleury fanboy, maybe you should be more objective in discussions. There's a reason everyone calls out those people, it's because it's obvious.

People like you have shown you're incapable of having a discussion about Murray without being super biased. It's really obvious in your case that you hold a grudge against Murray for taking Fleury's spot, seeing how you take bashing Murray to ridiculous levels and crazily defended Fleury at every turn. If you don't want your opinion wrote off as one of a fanboy, don't make it so obvious.

Yet nobody can ever show evidence of this. Ever.

You and guys like Shady throw shit at the wall simply because I dare to call out the guy you hitched your wagon to prematurely. It's precisely because I dare to criticize Murray that you invent this notion I was some MAF ball washer.

It's just comical to me.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
The problem is I think this board has a lot of younger people who were only kids during those 2 runs and don't remember how damn good MAF was for the bulk of both runs, coming up with massive efforts in crucial situations.

So you complain that the people who defend Murray are living in the past and then you come up with this gem? Priceless comedy, like much of your constant whining about everything Pens related.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Part of me just thinks Murray is kind of like Kessel. He is not engaged in the beginning of the season, but when things start ramping up, he starts to get hot.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston

Yet it always those who feel the need to justify MM's poor play that bring up MAF in the first place.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
So you complain that the people who defend Murray are living in the past and then you come up with this gem? Priceless comedy, like much of your constant whining about everything Pens related.

Conveniently leaving out that I posted this in the same post:

And at the end of the day, I truly hope Murray figures it out. We're more likely to win another Cup if he does. Murray was a MAJOR reason for the back to back Cup wins. The last goalie to win the Cup with back to back shutouts was a legend named Terry Sawchuk for Detroit back in the early 50's. He'll always have a place in our hearts because of him stepping up as a young kid and playing well beyond his age.

And you get "likes" based on what? Being selective in what you respond to and ignoring points that counter your ridiculous counter.

And you getting likes from the typical few who are constantly wrong on players (Tanev, Galch, just to name recent ones) is the real comedy. And I'm "constantly whining about everything Pens related"? I don't think you understand the English language bub. Everything and constantly are two words that literally mean everything and all the time. Considering that I post plenty of positive stuff around here, would make you factually, a clown. And, the fact I post less than most, would, confirm that constantly isn't accurate either.

Don't quit your day job bud unless you're a comedian. Than shine in all your glory.

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
Eeeeeeexactly.

I've always been someone who bashes players on this board when they warrant it. Same thing for giving props when they deserve it.

I honestly never was the biggest MAF fan but I respected the hell out of him because no matter how bad things got he never complained, he never said the wrong thing. He always had a positive attitude and by all accounts was a massively positive influence in the locker room, which people overlook in competitive sports. I was fortunate enough to meet Marc Andre twice, briefly and he was extremely gracious and didn't mind chatting with a "nobody".

And yeah MAF had some very, very bad stretch runs, namely in the postseason. But one also has to remember the man has been in the NHL since he as a teenager which is nearly unheard of for goalies. His career is a massive sample size and he's still playing at a high level now. He joined a dumpster fire roster and within a few years was helping lead us to back to back Cup runs. The man has been around forever, and he's going to likely end up with the 3rd most wins in the history of the league when it's all said and done.

Yes, between 2010-13 he was awful. NOBODY worth a damn will ever deny that, but if you look at his overall playoff record outside of that 4 year window, he was well above average and was incredible in 2008, solid in 2009, playing back to back massively impressive efforts against a tremendous Red Wings squad in games 6 and 7. In those 2 games MAF saved 48 of 50 shots, including an all time great, Cup winning save with 2 seconds left against one of the greatest players of all time in Lidstrom.

We don't win in 2017 without MAF. That's a cold hard fact. His performance against Washington was elite. Goes into their building, game 7 and shuts them out?

The guy really was the first building block in the resurrection of the franchise. Yeah, he absolutely deserved a **** load of criticism at different periods, but he also had numerous important moments along the way. And at the end of the day, the biggest reason for failures between 2010-14 was Dan Bylsma and to a lesser extend Ray Shero. I'd certainly argue MAF was the worst player for much of that time but comparing those 2 clown ass names above to the current coach and GM is a fool's errand. Sullivan is 100x the coach Bylsma ever was and JR is in the HOF, largely because of what he did repairing the damages of his predecessors. And i say that as someone who had to eat crow on JR because I pretty much loathed the hire at the time.

But right now, he is trash. Plain and simple.
"I'm not a Fleury fanboi, but here's a novel, including how we first met."

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
"I'm not a Fleury fanboi, but here's a novel, including how we first met."

Including many points about how awful MAF was throughout different periods of his time here. Selective reading at its finest.

But God forbid anyone says something positive about the guy? We MUST be fanboys.

Like i said. We live in a world where negativity is king. I bet you're really active on shit like Twitter and Insta.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yet it always those who feel the need to justify MM's poor play that bring up MAF in the first place.

No, people only bring up Fleury in response to you because you act like Fleury is your dad and Murray is the guy who stole your mom from him. If you actually discussed Murray objectively, no one would bring up Fleury. But you constantly bring up absolutely grotesque hyperbole when it comes to Murray because you don't like him for taking Fleury's spot.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No, what you're really tired about is the fact the guy you hitched your wagon to, has largely been a below average NHL goalie to AHL fodder for the better part of the last 2 years.

It's simple minded people like yourself who pay people big money for crap they did years ago, in a very, very small sample size (playoffs).

Matt Murray has not had 1 single season where he played above the bar from start to finish. He's not been good enough in the playoffs either the past 2 trips.

He's been the most disappointing Pens player since 2107 given the huge things he did in 2016-17.

All you and some fragile others are doing is making the same tired excuse MAF got between 2010-13. It's beyond comical.

Okay dude. The reason you and I duke it out is not because I think MM is playing well, it's that you are over the top in your hyperbolic descriptions and it seems like you have an agenda. Murray was not good to start the year last year: fact. Murray was great after coming back from injury December 2018 - year end 2019 and was mediocre in the playoffs while the entire team was outclassed by the Isles: fact.

Murray has struggled with inconsistency and injuries the last two years and has been a disappointment overall: fact

Believing that Murray can rebound this year and is worth a re-sign at the end of the season is a reasonable inference based on his past history. Yet, you say weird shit like (paraphrase) "anyone that wants to re-sign this guy needs to be checked into a mental hospital".

Now which one of us is being unreasonable or fragile?

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
And you getting likes from the typical few who are constantly wrong on players (Tanev, Galch, just to name recent ones) is the real comedy.

Ah, yes, your favourite "I was right, losers!" shtick, right on cue.

I don't think you understand the English language bub.

I understand enough to be sick of your constant condescension, pal.

Considering that I post plenty of positive stuff around here, would make you factually, a clown. And, the fact I post less than most, would, confirm that constantly isn't accurate either.

It's called exaggeration, google it. Though, after your remarks about Murray being playing at ECHL level one would think that you are familiar with the concept.. guess not.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'm not interested in **** Murray did 4-5 years ago in the AHL. It has no bearing on where we are today. Same thing with the Cups. We're far enough removed from those runs now. The leash he got from 2017 in particular is stretched to the max.

Basically an astute individual would stop highlighting things Murray did half a decade ago as reason to prop him up now that he's been a faltering goalie for most of the past 2 years, playoffs included.

If Murray manages to backstop us to another Cup I'll literally fling myself from Clemente bridge in Januray, naked.

LOL You are the one that said Jarry was a better prospect because of where they are drafted but are now saying you aren't interested in the past. Keep on moving hose goal posts dogg.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Okay dude. The reason you and I duke it out is not because I think MM is playing well, it's that you are over the top in your hyperbolic descriptions and it seems like you have an agenda.

Yeah, this is exactly what I see with that poster. Maybe they're not a Fleury fanboy, but they go to such absurd levels with criticizing Murray that it's not exactly a stretch to suggest they're a Fleury fanboy.

Using a political analogy, if someone keeps using a political talking point of politician A to say that politician B should be in jail (let's not kid anyone, you can figure out what I'm referring to), it's not that hard to say that they're a supporter of politician A. Saying "I never said I was a supporter of politician A!" doesn't matter if you keep using politician A's talking points and acting like someone who does support them.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yes he was great in that final stretch run last year. However, I think it's pretty important to note that the reason he had to play something like 20 of the last 21 games (don't remember the exact numbers) was due to the hole he dug us with the poor start. All those games led to a incredible mediocre 4 game sweep from MM.

That's generally fair. Don't agree with all of it, obviously, but he certainly struggled earlier in the year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's generally fair. Don't agree with all of it, obviously, but he certainly struggled earlier in the year.

It's not really that fair, because Murray never "dug them into a hole to start the year". In the 6 games Murray lost to start the year, one was a 3-2 SO loss, 3 were blowouts and 2 were close games. He did start last year poorly, but that resulted in losing 2 winnable games, maybe 3. Murray having a bad game in a game where the Penguins lose 5-1 doesn't really matter because they weren't winning that game even had Murray played well.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It's not really that fair, because Murray never "dug them into a hole to start the year". In the 6 games Murray lost to start the year, one was a 3-2 SO loss, 3 were blowouts and 2 were close games. He did start last year poorly, but that resulted in losing 2 winnable games, maybe 3. Murray having a bad game in a game where the Penguins lose 5-1 doesn't really matter because they weren't winning that game even had Murray played well.

Admittedly I didn't check the game history. Thanks for doing my homework. Not being reliable due to injuries which dug them into a hole is sort of on him (even if it's not directly in his control - genetics play a big part).

Anyway you and I are on the same page. I was a big defender of MM in the offseason and expected him to come in this year and continue the strong play last year. He hasn't done that yet and deserves to be criticized, but some of this shit is absurd.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

BillyOcean

Jan 2, 2015
People becomes fans of players too much at the expense of the team. Its annoying, but it's their right, I guess.

It was super obvious that Fleury in the playoffs was a major reason the team was stuck in the mud for almost a decade. Bylsma, Johnston, Shero not getting wingers for Sid...you all know the reasons. The difference between people like Bylsma and Fleury is Fleury was actually a likeable personality. I guess people get attached to that. Once Bylsma and those other problems left, they stopped getting talked about. I guess if there was a contingent of Bylsma acolytes, we might be getting some "Is Sullivan washed up?" Threads.

The people who realized Fleury was a problem wanted to see change for the best interest of the team. Its not like they hated Fleury personally. They also gave him a long leash. I know I did. He helped to win a Cup. He should have time to get through his bad performances. It was just too much time.

I kind of feel like the people who really liked Fleury just want Murray to fail at the expense of the team. That's very sad.

Itd be hard to fathom this thread existing for Fleury in 2011. Can you imagine that? Two years after winning a Cup? Now add another Cup to that.

I also feel like the people that are making excuses for Murray now are the same people that were giving Fleury a long leash before he failed the team too many times.

Seems like both sides are being consistent, but only one side seems more interested in the logo in front.

Last edited:

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
So here is the thing with everyone saying that Murray will eventually figure it out and get hot. That's all well and good but last year while we waited for him to figure it out, we were dropping points, that resulted in us finishing 3rd, 4 points out of 1st, 3 points out of home ice advantage. Look what happened in the playoffs. Home ice is huge especially when you are playing the Islanders in the first round. Can we, and do we want to, wait for Murray to figure it out again and lose points? It doesn't matter if he gets hot later in the year. Lost points are lost points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad