Is Matt Duchene a locker room cancer?

Poll Is Matt Duchene a locker room cancer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Duchene is NOT the problem. People that are saying that are the same people that always expect easy solutions to complex problems.

What I saw was a video of young players complaining about not being taught. That's the truth of the matter. They are desperate for someone to actually coach them. I like Duchene and Wideman even more now.
Yep it now on the brass to figure out what to do with the message....They need to be better

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Duchene is NOT the problem. People that are saying that are the same people that always expect easy solutions to complex problems.

What I saw was a video of young players complaining about not being taught. That's the truth of the matter. They are desperate for someone to actually coach them. I like Duchene and Wideman even more now.
That was the constructive part of it, a little bit of personal insults thrown in there too, which isn't a big deal when it is in confidence, but it looks poor when the convo goes public.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Hockey is the only sport where all parties involved in running of the hockey club (GM, Coaches, etc) are completely absolved from any criticism whatsoever by the mainstream media. Its so bizarre. In the NFL, if a coach is clueless, the talking heads talk about how clueless that person is, same with the NBA or the MLB. In the NHL, the coach or GM is never mentioned as a "problem", until they are fired, then its seems like its open season. Has the TSN panel every discussed why the Sens PK is so ineffective? Has TSN1200 ever talked about player deployment and what Boucher could do differently?

Maybe I am not expressing myself properly here, but I just find it so bizarre that coaches and GMs are so immune to criticism from the mainstream media, yet some players are open season.

Coach and GM have taken plenty, but Duchene is taking more because he often comes up a selfish, entitled diva.
Humble bragging about being friends with a country musician, slagging the coach in an UBER, fracturing of identity in the room in Colorado. He's literally only been able to function as a proper player on Team Canada where the leadership from players, coaches and management was so great that they could "paper over" his inefficiencies.

Duchene needs to be surrounded by mentally strong, mature players. Preferable players who have families and children and have been around for 10-15 years. Not sure if there is anyone close to that on the team right now, outside of Borowiecki or Zack Smith.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Coach and GM have taken plenty, but Duchene is taking more because he often comes up a selfish, entitled diva.
From who? TSN, TSN1200, Sportsnet, Ottawa Citizen, Sun??? They have been criticized plenty on Twitter and in the Blogosphere, but no where from the mainstream media, and based on your comment here, I am sure that you only listen to the mainstream guys.

Not sure if there is anyone close to that on the team right now, outside of Borowiecki or Zack Smith.
Ahhhhh, nobody can be like Boro. We are so lucky to have him. What a leader.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
Seems like there is a lot of validity to what Dutch said. They had a horrible pp under Raymond and now they have a horrible pk under him.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I'm not in the room so I don't know and won't vote.

What I will say is, I would not want my rookies around him. I don't like that he was bad mouthing a coach in front of them but it's a huge deal. Telling them he's not paying attention in meetings is not the type of "professional" I would like my future professionals learning from.

Reactions: CDN24

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ugh..... Some folks just can't keep the owner and manager out of a discussion that has nothing to do with them. Raymond is GB's guy, and has already been put in a limited role. Next will likely (hopefully?) be the video coach only, unless he's able to make some changes to the PK.

It is what it is, embarrassing because it was made public, will likely lead to some healthy dialogue for many on the team including the coaches, and especially Duchene.

As bad as the main board is, the same folks in here that try and make every thing about the owner and manager are super annoying and petty. Take a break so you can bring your A game when it's warranted.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Funny way of interpreting that survey. It looks to me as though the 'public' has favoured having some serious discussions behind closed doors and leaving it at that.

Lying with stats is real.

The vast majority are not blaming the players; voting either to change the coaches , or have some closed door discussions.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The vast majority are not blaming the players; voting either to change the coaches , or have some closed door discussions.

Oh I was dealing with the particular quote, it was misleading on purpose. My interpretation is that most people feel it's a non issue for the public and that team should talk about it together and fix the problem. He chose to try and make it sound that the majority of 'the public' chose to punish coaches over players, which isn't really the case.

Anyways, it was more that his tweet came across as though changing coaches was the majority opinion on the survey, when it really wasn't at all. It was just a run of the mill chance for this dude to take a pot shot at coaching/management/ownership as usual.

I know it's popular and clicks are king, but this crap really just adds to all of the outside toxicity around the team, something we should all be striving for less of in my opinion. Having said that I don't want to make a bigger deal of it at the moment :)

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Ugh..... Some folks just can't keep the owner and manager out of a discussion that has nothing to do with them. Raymond is GB's guy, and has already been put in a limited role. Next will likely (hopefully?) be the video coach only, unless he's able to make some changes to the PK.

If this was any other competent organization Boucher, along with Raymond would have been canned at some point last season, but they weren't because of money. Hence why the owner and GM are looped into this.

Also, where the f*** is the GM to address this?? Who's genius idea was it for non-implicated players and the coach to speak on this? The General Manager is the one who should be speaking to the media.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Also, where the f*** is the GM to address this?? Who's genius idea was it for non-implicated players and the coach to speak on this? The General Manager is the one who should be speaking to the media.

You guys complain when he talks to the media, and you guys complain when he doesn't talk to the media. Make up your f***ing mind.

This was handled behind closed doors, and that's the way it should be.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
My answer is just No, it’s not no, he just needs better coaches and teammates, his teammates and coaches have been fine and he’s not a locker room cancer.

WestCoastExpressions

Nov 6, 2018
Based on the Uber video, based on the comments of Patrick Roy, based on the comments of his e-Avalanche teammates what is your opinion of Matt Duchene? Always on bad teams, always on teams with coaching issues and always a thrown in his GM's side.
I completely agree with Tuna .. I’m surprised how nobody has brought up how much better Colorado became immediately after Douchene left town .. It wouldn’t surprise me if Roy wanted the kid gone and had pull back from the rest of the oraganization . I bet it drove someone with the passion Roy played the game with bananas to watch Douchene act like an aggoragnt brat all the time .Roy has to much respect for the game to enjoy Douchenes hot dogging .

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
You guys complain when he talks to the media, and you guys complain when he doesn't talk to the media. Make up your ****ing mind.

This was handled behind closed doors, and that's the way it should be.

The General Manager should be the face of the franchise, but in dire times, he turtles and hides, see golf tourney.

Reactions: CDN24

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I completely agree with Tuna .. I’m surprised how nobody has brought up how much better Colorado became immediately after *****ene left town .. It wouldn’t surprise me if Roy wanted the kid gone and had pull back from the rest of the oraganization . I bet it drove someone with the passion Roy played the game with bananas to watch *****ene act like an aggoragnt brat all the time .Roy has to much respect for the game to enjoy *****enes hot dogging .

What have you seen or heard since he's been on this team that would confirm any of this?

Hearsay doesn't count.

I hated this trade at the time, and still do in a way because of the lack of a 1st rounder this season, but I haven't been particularly let down by his play, and I see mostly happy faces around him. The Uber video doesn't change any of that.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Naw, the GM doesn't get involved with this. It's treated as a non-issue to the media, which it should be given it was a leaked private conversation. The players and coaches will address it together as a team without needing Ice-Tray and Chezzz to be in the loop.

The team issued a blanket statement on behalf of the the coaching staff and players involved and that's all that needs to happen. Next time PD is interviewed (the last time was a game or two ago during the intermission) I'm sure it will be brought up and he'll address it, much like the coach did when he was spoken to next by the media (today's pre game).

You absolutely do not throw out a GM level statement or media conference about this, I mean all he can really say from his position is that Uber is super lame and that players need to be careful what they say when a stranger is present.

Making this an ownership or management issue is lame. You may not like that all of the coaches weren't fired, but many were fine that GB was given a chance to change his coaching mandate. To be honest the team is playing a much better brand of hockey this year, the kids are getting development time, and the PP is on fire. The PK needs work, and the kids need to keep the fire going into the third periods, but I don't think GB has done a fireable job so far this year.

This is a rebuild. The kids need to be able make mistakes and keep playing through them They need to be sheltered when needed, and they need to sit and watch from the bench for a shift or two sometimes. This is not about wins and loses right now, but developing good habits and adjusting to playing with the best players on the planet. This year GB has allowed players to have a long leash to play with as they learn which leads to tons of exciting plays, and tons of mistakes. When better teams turn it on in the third we struggle to push back. This and the PK are the areas that we need to focus a little more on right now.

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Owner, Coaches, GM have lost all respect from players and fans. The owner has the only show in town along with the CFL.
Every night CTC should be full. No excuses. He is running the Wal-Mart of NHL teams and running it into the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad