Is Maroon the answer to our toughness issues?

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
While we don't expect Maroon to drop the gloves as willingly as Parros, he has shown a willingness to stand up for his teammates and he is a heavyweight. Not only that, but he is a skilled player and can even play on the first line. He has really improved his skating from previous years.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
There are a lot of things to like about Maroon. But I don't think he's a regular on the team yet in Boudreau's eyes yet. And keep in mind, after his fight with Blunden he was benched for the rest of the period. Though some of that likely had to do with the penalty killing.

Jul 22, 2012
I love Maroon, but he has to prove he can be a consistent offensive threat in order to stay in the lineup, IMO.

camshaft

Mar 4, 2013
I realize how deep we are with our forwards, where playing time is at a premium. But people have been complaining about our lack of toughness and being pushed around. I am saying that Maroon can be our enforcer, where this doesn't occur as frequently, and at the same time, he can be a very useful player.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I realize how deep we are with our forwards, where playing time is at a premium. But people have been complaining about our lack of toughness and being pushed around. I am saying that Maroon can be our enforcer, where this doesn't occur as frequently, and at the same time, he can be a very useful player.
Well yeah, he could. But I don't think he's going to be. Boudreau really isn't looking for an enforcer with hands of gold.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
In all honesty Maroon came off as a fraud to me after last night. During the game just after Ottawa scored the ensuing center face off he and Neil clearly were in the position to drop the gloves, it was quite apparent. Puck drops and Maroon clearly coaxed Neil into taking a penalty which appears to the average eye a cheap shot to the chin of Maroon. At that point in time it was apparent to me that Maroon is not and will not be the enforcer everyone thinks or hopes him to be.

Now let me make note of the fact I personally LOVE that he didn't retaliate and gave us the PP opportunity. Its was a cheeky little move that I expect to see from a player like Corey Perry. It was agitator like. Now this doesn't mean he cant drop the gloves etc... just it's apparent to me thats not his primary game which is fine by me. But to the original question Maroon is no tougher in my eyes than Beleskey, Penner, Getzlaf, Winnik etc..

Toughness doesn't have to come in the form of dropping the gloves either. I consider a player like Saku Koivu tough. A very cagey veteran thats in your face and is willing to battle for pucks and apply pressure to the opposition.

Somewhere along the lines I think the terms toughness and enforcing have been blurred which shouldn't be the case IMO.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
In all honesty Maroon came off as a fraud to me after last night. During the game just after Ottawa scored the ensuing center face off he and Neil clearly were in the position to drop the gloves, it was quite apparent. Puck drops and Maroon clearly coaxed Neil into taking a penalty which appears to the average eye a cheap shot to the chin of Maroon. At that point in time it was apparent to me that Maroon is not and will not be the enforcer everyone thinks or hopes him to be.

Now let me make note of the fact I personally LOVE that he didn't retaliate and gave us the PP opportunity. Its was a cheeky little move that I expect to see from a player like Corey Perry. It was agitator like. Now this doesn't mean he cant drop the gloves etc... just it's apparent to me thats not his primary game which is fine by me. But to the original question Maroon is no tougher in my eyes than Beleskey, Penner, Getzlaf, Winnik etc..

Toughness doesn't have to come in the form of dropping the gloves either. I consider a player like Saku Koivu tough. A very cagey veteran thats in your face and is willing to battle for pucks and apply pressure to the opposition.

Somewhere along the lines I think the terms toughness and enforcing have been blurred which shouldn't be the case IMO.
No one player is the answer to any team's toughness issues. You're being a little obtuse with respect to the OP's intent, though. Okay, you have different definition of tough. That's pretty clearly not what he's talking about.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
No one player is the answer to any team's toughness issues. You're being a little obtuse with respect to the OP's intent, though. Okay, you have different definition of tough. That's pretty clearly not what he's talking about.

The OP is asking if he is the answer. I clearly state he's no tougher than "xxxx,xxxx,xxxx,xxxx"... OP makes a point that he stands up for his teammates. I'm pretty sure the guys mentioned "xxxx,xxxx,xxxx,xxxx" stand up for there teammates as well. OP also makes note of the fact he can drop the gloves... Guess what... Players "xxxx,xxxx,xxxx,xxxx" equally drop the gloves just as much as Maroon if not more.

Too me Maroon is not an answer to anything. Does he add to the table sure but so do the others. When OP leads off with fighting/heavyweight in a question about toughness to me he's trying to blur the lines of and "enforcer" with someone who is brings toughness or physicality. Large differences in my mind.

I like Maroon as a player and think he's a good addition to this squad but he isn't an "answer" to anything IMO.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
No, according to many posters here we need small skilled players on our 4th line:laugh:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
No, according to many posters here we need small skilled players on our 4th line:laugh:

And according to others, the Ducks should have kept Rosehill and McGrattan, signed Konopka, and dress the worst 4th line in recent memory.

At least Maroon has some skill, while bringing that size/toughness. Thing is, having the likes of Etem or Palmieri in the press box in favor of Maroon and Beleskey is a waste of talent. If Murray/Boudreau wants them in the lineup, he should trade Palmieri. The Ducks get something for him, and Palmieri gets a fair shot somewhere else.

Last edited:

getzforfighting*

That situation didn't change my opinion on maroon at all. That was after ottawwa first goal, the crowd was going wild, maroon was going to be fighting a veteran player in Neil who has done it a million times. All I see there is maroon wasn't confident in beating Neil, and didn't want the fans and the sens getting any more into the game. Smart play

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i like the kid and hope he gets his chance with the team but like someone said earlier, once penner and beleskey get back there will be no room in the lineup for him

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
And according to others, the Ducks should have kept Rosehill and McGrattan, signed Konopka, and dress the worst 4th line in recent memory.

At least Maroon has some skill, while bringing that size/toughness. Thing is, having the likes of Etem or Palmieri in the press box in favor of Maroon and Beleskey is a waste of talent. If Murray/Boudreau wants them in the lineup, he should trade Palmieri. The Ducks get something for him, and Palmieri gets a fair shot somewhere else.

Why trade Palmieri? Selänne is going to be gone for real after this season, there's room for Palmieri. Beleskey and Maroon can also play in bottom 6 role so there are spots available for them. Also, lets not overhype Maroon after few good games with the Twins, there are a number of players who have played well with them for awhile atleast.

Ducksgo*

With Silfverberg also out he's got a good argument to stick around. DSP doesn't look like a regular, and you have to wonder if Etem will get some healthy scratch time this season.

That's why some fans will Enjoy Etem while we can. Especially in a top 6 role due to the unfortunate injuries we have accumulated so far this season. Not trying to argue of course. But realistically speaking? When have we seen Etem with this type of opportunity to make a name for himself?

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
As has been said here, he alone isn't the answer to our toughness problems.. 1 guy isn't going to cut it as a team, as the game showed, we got physically steamrolled last night... the worst I've seen in a very long time. We won the game, but more times than not, games like that I bet we lose. Along with our lack of physical play, we lost the puck ALOT on those hits we took... and created some good chances for OTT. I think it goes without saying, too we are also more susceptible to injuries as well.

As far as Maroon.. I am really liking what I'm seeing so far. He is a tough guy, hard on the puck and the boards.. can pass, shoot, hit and fight. Those types of guys are hard to come by these days. If he continues to play like this, he has every right to be on this team, and I will be royally pissed if BB sits him all the time.

as far the the incident with Maroon and Neil.. I think Maroon had all intentions on dropping them with Neil, but he got a high shot to the face, that stunned him. The whistle blew immediately, and Maroon was like.. cool.. I don't have to fight, and got our team 2 min. I don't think he coaxed him in to anything, regardless of that the Pejorative Slured Ottawa announcers said on NHL network. It was a smart play.

It's been clear for a while now that this team is steering away from the past as a physical team, and going the other direction.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Why trade Palmieri? Selänne is going to be gone for real after this season, there's room for Palmieri. Beleskey and Maroon can also play in bottom 6 role so there are spots available for them. Also, lets not overhype Maroon after few good games with the Twins, there are a number of players who have played well with them for awhile atleast.

Agreed. I don't think Palmieri should be traded, he's signed to a contract that can become a bargain. I'm just pointing out that Palmieri and Etem are the reasons why Beleskey, Maroon and Penner probably won't be in the lineup reguarly. It's one thing to scratch a talented young player here and there, but we can't have talents like Palmieri in the press box on a regular basis just because we want more size and toughness in the lineup. If it comes to that, I'd rather see him traded while he still has good value, than see him sit in the press box not developing and losing trade value.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
There's a ton to like with Maroon. If you can get by the fact that he's not a world class skater, you'll realize that he has size, hands, passing ability, and is good along the boards. All the qualities of a top 6 player except for skating. Add into that the fact that he can hit and fight, and I think we have a quality forward. There is no reason for him to be in the press box in the near future.

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
As has been said here, he alone isn't the answer to our toughness problems.. 1 guy isn't going to cut it as a team, as the game showed, we got physically steamrolled last night... the worst I've seen in a very long time. We won the game, but more times than not, games like that I bet we lose. Along with our lack of physical play, we lost the puck ALOT on those hits we took... and created some good chances for OTT. I think it goes without saying, too we are also more susceptible to injuries as well.

As far as Maroon.. I am really liking what I'm seeing so far. He is a tough guy, hard on the puck and the boards.. can pass, shoot, hit and fight. Those types of guys are hard to come by these days. If he continues to play like this, he has every right to be on this team, and I will be royally pissed if BB sits him all the time.

as far the the incident with Maroon and Neil.. I think Maroon had all intentions on dropping them with Neil, but he got a high shot to the face, that stunned him. The whistle blew immediately, and Maroon was like.. cool.. I don't have to fight, and got our team 2 min. I don't think he coaxed him in to anything, regardless of that the Pejorative Slured Ottawa announcers said on NHL network. It was a smart play.

It's been clear for a while now that this team is steering away from the past as a physical team, and going the other direction.

I remember the post 07 seasons where the team was physical enough to be called for a penalty 6 times a game for sometimes borderline calls...

I dont know whats more frustrating... taking lots of minors for being an overly physical team, or a skill te that draws penalties a lot more but cant score on the powerplay...

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
That's why some fans will Enjoy Etem while we can. Especially in a top 6 role due to the unfortunate injuries we have accumulated so far this season. Not trying to argue of course. But realistically speaking? When have we seen Etem with this type of opportunity to make a name for himself?
He got some looks on some higher lines during the losing streak.

Oct 18, 2011
We need him and Beleskey in the lineup, problem is the candidates to sit, sacrifice speed. we then become a slow team, that's still not that tough.

if Winnik doesn't pick it up i'd like to see Beleskey take some reps on the koivu line.

but it has to be done, look at what happens when we play a tough team like ottawa, two of our key players get hurt and ottawa never fears any hits coming back there way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad