Is Marner the best player on the Leafs?

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Marner was only the 2nd player to win every award the OHL could for a forward. As all small highly skilled players do they take a couple of years. But even with that said he was always a Top 6 guy performance wise.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Leafs big 3 is Matthews, Tavares and Marner. They will all be easily ppg+ in the future but it wouldn't surprise me to see Marner scoring the most out of them. His ability to rack up points is just crazy. I think the Matthews will always hold the best player title though. While I think Marner has 90-100 point potential I see Matthews having the same kind of offensive output while also being an annual Richard and Selke finalist/winner.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
How I see these two.

Matthews flies into the offensive zone, makes a beautiful pass, gets the puck back, and in one motion rips a rocket to the top corner.
Marner gets the puck, takes one step, and drops the puck right on the stick of a teammate in front of the net who just taps it in.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Sometimes. And sometimes Matthews dominates a game and is the best player on the ice for either team. I can't wait to see Tavares have a game when he's the best player on the Leafs, I think he has that ability too.

Reactions: dsred

haymaker22

Aug 29, 2018
In my opinion all players have different contributions to the team in different ways. I strongly believe that Marner is gonna have a huge breakout year with 100+ points. I feel like all in all Mathews and Taveres can also be considered one of the best on the team, but I just feel like at this point in time Mitch is really taking his game to the next level and is therefore going to put up some huge numbers this year on a highly offensive team.If I were to put some rankings together they would go like this
Forwards
1. Mitch Marner
2. Auston Mathews
3. John Tavares
Defense
1. Morgan Rielly
2. Nikita Zaitsev (if he has a bounce back year)
3. Jake Gardiner

These are my top 3 picks if I had to
Honourable mentions
1. William Nylander
2. Name Kadri
3. Patrick Marleau

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Right now Matthews and Tavares are 1 and 2, and Marner and Nylander are very very close for 3. But no, Marner is not the Leafs' best player.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Right now Matthews and Tavares are 1 and 2, and Marner and Nylander are very very close for 3. But no, Marner is not the Leafs' best player.

Marner not even the best player on his line.

Reminds me of the John Lennon quote when asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world ...

"He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles"

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I've watched the Leafs for almost 3 decades and I've never seen a Leafs' player control the game with the skill that Marner does. I think he'll be the Leafs most dominant player this year and will be their MVP and points leader by a fair margin. The 2018-19 version of 1992-93 Dougie "Killer" Gilmour. Am I crazy?

is Marner the best player on the leafs?

yes!!!

no!!!

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I have interfaced with Gretzky on several occasions, and found him to be an arrogant snore, but to compare a kid with no shot to Gretzky is sorta laughable. Gretzky could take out the eye of a mosquito with power on his slap shot.

Marner would have trouble piercing a pumpkin from ten feet out. Nice player, but a Gretzky? LMFAO.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If most overrated=best, then yes. He might reach the hype at the end of this year, but right now Matthews and Tavares is ahead and Nylander closer to Marner then most think.

With closer its like some think Marner and Nylander are oceans apart i would say, more a medium sized lake.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marner not even the best player on his line.

Reminds me of the John Lennon quote when asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world ...

"He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles"
What did Lennon say when they asked him about Paul McCartney?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Like I said earlier though, Matthews is already better than Toews while Marner has the potential to be Kane.
Wow, holy recency bias, Toews three rings say hi. Guy was a 200 foot BEAST. Already better, man...let's get out of the first round.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Like I said earlier though, Matthews is already better than Toews while Marner has the potential to be Kane.
I am a Marner homer, been following him since his rookie yr in jr. That kid converted me from a Kitchener Rangers fan to a Knights fan lol.
Don't get me wrong Matthews is a special player we can all see that I just feel that Marner is specialer

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Marner is not the best player on the Leafs; he does however have the ability and talent to surpass them all. I would not be surprised if he scores more than Matthews throughout their respective carers. I was hoping the Leafs drafted Hannifin. Glad I was wrong; Marner is easily my favourite Leaf.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yup, same... he will outperform Eichel this year, watch for it.

For Fun..

I just picked Draft Kings Sports Forecaster Fantasy hockey guide. Its a 130 page detailed guide on all players, broken down for each player & by team.

They project Jack Eichel to finish #8OA this year 33-57-90 points..
&
They have Marner #21OA @ 25-60-85 points right in front of Matthews @ #22OA @ 44-40-84 points for the 2018-19 NHL season.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I have interfaced with Gretzky on several occasions, and found him to be an arrogant snore, but to compare a kid with no shot to Gretzky is sorta laughable. Gretzky could take out the eye of a mosquito with power on his slap shot.

Marner would have trouble piercing a pumpkin from ten feet out. Nice player, but a Gretzky? LMFAO.
Hi Minus Mitch!

weems

Jul 3, 2008
All 3 of Matthews, Marner and Nylander havent come close to reaching their peak.

All 3 will still get much better in the next 2-3 years and alot will depend on how hard each guy works to keep getting better and the things the're willing to sacrifice to be great.

A argument could definitely be made Mitch is the most talented player and has the highest upside but as a all around 3 zone player Matthews upside trumps him pretty good.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Wow, holy recency bias, Toews three rings say hi. Guy was a 200 foot BEAST. Already better, man...let's get out of the first round.

Toews is a very good player, but Matthews is already better offensively - and by a fair margin too. Toews has the edge defensively, but I suspect them at gal will narrow in the coming seasons

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad