Is Marner the best player on the Leafs?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I've watched the Leafs for almost 3 decades and I've never seen a Leafs' player control the game with the skill that Marner does. I think he'll be the Leafs most dominant player this year and will be their MVP and points leader by a fair margin. The 2018-19 version of 1992-93 Dougie "Killer" Gilmour. Am I crazy?

Yes, Marner is the best player on the Leafs. There. I said it.

(I've been saying it for about a year now)

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Tavares wasn’t PPG in his first two seasons either. I think Marner is going to erupt this year. He’s even killing penalties this year something Matthews isn’t doing. Don’t get me wrong Matthews is going be dominant as well just in a different way. The fact we have both should make the NHL very scared.

I was having this conversation with a few buddies recently regarding Matthews and Marner. I will say this...I think if you were to take either player out of the lineup for an extended period of time, it would be more detrimental to the team if it was Marner. The reason being, he is the primary facilitator on offence.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Marner is our flat out best playmaker. Gonna put up stupid numbers with JT.
It's hard to judge who your best players are but if we're going best overall it's probably Matthews or JT.
I think Matthews wins out with the fact hes got a 200 ft game but we'll see what JTs got in that regard.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
I've watched the Leafs for almost 3 decades and I've never seen a Leafs' player control the game with the skill that Marner does. I think he'll be the Leafs most dominant player this year and will be their MVP and points leader by a fair margin. The 2018-19 version of 1992-93 Dougie "Killer" Gilmour. Am I crazy?
I've always seen a loooot of Dougie in Mitch. They are awfully close in quality. So are Marner and Nylander.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm pretty sure Marner hasn't plateaued. Hard to say what his ceiling is. At the end of the year, the 1B line outscores the 1A line and Marner ends up with more points than anyone, a good case can be made. He is definitely the best player in the pre-season so far
He has been our best player since Jan 24 of last year. Let’s see what this season holds.

We have an abundance of riches as we have 3 centers who all could be a teams best center with two of them top 10 centers in the League. We have two 1st line Right wingers with one of them maybe the best play making winger in the game and most likely the best play maker in the game.

Reactions: Notsince67

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
What an amazing position to be in to have this issue.
Wow how far have we came like honestly.
It's still a horse race much like many trades to early to tell sorry guys. Enjoy this drama as it is rare to have.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No it's Hyman.

Hyman plays with Matthews, he's PPG. Hyman plays with Tavares, and Marner in 2 games, first Tavares 4 goals, now this question about Marner. I think it's obvious who's making all these players so great
No kidding, just ask Babcock!

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He obviously isn't in a fight for 3rd, as there isn't a soul alive that doesn't think he easily becomes the 3rd highest paid on the team. That's reality with a period. Or is there some other metric I'm missing here?
1) they don't have new contracts yet
2) contracts don't indicate who's the better player. it's honestly mind-blowing that you think they do

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

No. Matthews was on a 97pt pace last year before the first injury. Marner was on a 90 point pace for half of last year. If both are healthy that is as close as MM gets and 40 goals is worth a lot more than 20. Mitch was on fire from Jan 20 to Mar 10 with 14 goals in 22 games but his last in 13 games, just 3 goals, so plus the playoff his last 20 games were at a 20 goal pace. What is the likely pace for this year? Its really tough to ever become a 100pt man if you don't hit 30 goals. He could become a better offensive player than Pat Kane and still never top 90pts.

I think the record for assists by a winger is 87 set by Jagr in 1996 so in a 5% higher scoring season, and playing beside Mario. Lafleur was around 80 a couple of times in the 1970s but that was in a 10% higher scoring era. Pat Kane had 60 only once. If Marner got to 70 assists that would be one of the top totals of all time for a winger and anything over 60 is insanely good. No winger has hit 70 since the 90's and Wheeler's 68 is the closes in recent years. Tavares and JT aren't pass first guys so he would be in tough to mach his 8 goals on the pp which was as good as most of Kessel's Leaf years. I think a dream season for Mitch is maybe 28g and 68a. Matthews more like 52g and 55a because there is no chance a healthy Matthews would have the same pp struggles as last season. Of course Marner could score 30+ this year to to upset the prediction, but I don't expect that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
No. Matthews was on a 97pt pace last year before the first injury. Marner was on a 90 point pace for half of last year. If both are healthy that is as close as MM gets and 40 goals is worth a lot more than 20. Mitch was on fire from Jan 20 to Mar 10 with 14 goals in 22 games but his last in 13 games, just 3 goals, so plus the playoff his last 20 games were at a 20 goal pace. What is the likely pace for this year? Its really tough to ever become a 100pt man if you don't hit 30 goals. He could become a better offensive player than Pat Kane and still never top 90pts.

I think the record for assists by a winger is 87 set by Jagr in 1996 so in a 5% higher scoring season, and playing beside Mario. Lafleur was around 80 a couple of times in the 1970s but that was in a 10% higher scoring era. Pat Kane had 60 only once. If Marner got to 70 assists that would be one of the top totals of all time for a winger and anything over 60 is insanely good. No winger has hit 70 since the 90's and Wheeler's 68 is the closes in recent years. Tavares and JT aren't pass first guys so he would be in tough to mach his 8 goals on the pp which was as good as most of Kessel's Leaf years. I think a dream season for Mitch is maybe 28g and 68a. Matthews more like 52g and 55a because there is no chance a healthy Matthews would have the same pp struggles as last season. Of course Marner could score 30+ this year to to upset the prediction, but I don't expect that.

Marner is capable of a 35g 65a 100pt season. I mean if Matthews gets 50g somebody needs to assist on them, right?

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Marner is capable of a 35g 65a 100pt season. I mean if Matthews gets 50g somebody needs to assist on them, right?

Joe Thornton had two 30 goal seasons in his entire career, it doesn't happen often with pass first guys. Kane has managed only three 30 goal seasons in ten seasons but he takes 50-80 more shots per season than Marner. 35 is possible, but its probably less likely than Matthews scoring 60.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->