Is Marner the best player on the Leafs?

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
I guess it doesn't matter who the best player is. We have 3 great players for sure. Matthews, Marner and JT. Does it really matter who is the best? They are all great and they are playing for us, that's amazing. It's just arguing semantics at this point.

I'LL EDIT THIS FOR YOU:

"We have 6 great players for sure. Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kadri & Rielly.

And a 1st ballot Hall of Famer in Marleau.

Does it really matter who is the best?"

Reactions: Nithoniniel

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
I’m not slighting Matthews at all he’s amazing at what he does and is a franchise centre. I think we have a Malkin/Crosby situation in Toronto. Then Tavares on this team as well is just unfair.

Matthews/Marner is much closer to a Teows/Kane situation than a Malkin/Crosby situation.

Matthews = Teows (plus 15 goals per year)
Marner = Kane (plus more effort on defense)

Reactions: Duckrider

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Marner is the best player on the Leafs. I said it last year and I say it again this year. Nobody can change my mind.

It's not a slight against Matthews at all. Marner is just that good and he will be the top point producing forward this year, I'm certain of it.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Matthews/Marner is much closer to a Teows/Kane situation than a Malkin/Crosby situation.

Matthews = Teows (plus 15 goals per year)
Marner = Kane (plus more effort on defense)

Matthews/Tavares is the Malkin/Crosby

Matthews/Marner is the Teows/Kane

2x cup winning depth!!

Add in Willie or a D upgrade its gonna be awesome to bleed blue and white!

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Its hard to argue against Marner with what he accomplished Wednesday night (and has been doing so since last Jan.) He can get you on the PP, either scoring himself or finding whoever is in the best position. He can get you on the PK, robbing your defencemen if they every make a mistake. He can score even strength. He can be so persistent he can effectively earn both the first and second assists on a goal. Hard to argue with any player who is capable of doing that.

Even Jesus riding on a dinosaur would have a tough time choosing someone else as the best Leaf :naughty:.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
To like someones playingstyle and being the best for the team are totaly different things. Matthews is best thats just how it is. Not so fun playingstyle, but best.

Having Matthews Marner Tavares and maby Nylander, must be more important than a "My fav player is better then your fav player" . You all have the right to like your player the most based on whatever. But when stats are to close (Nylander/Marner) or just to far away (Marner/Matthews) the bias is not cute anymore. Stuff will sort it self out anyway by time but right now, keep calm and cheer for your gu...team!

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
He might not be the next Great One lol, but at times he does remind me of Gretzky with his incredible vision, creativity, and ability to control the play in the offensive zone.

He just plain looks like him also, skinny as hell weird hunched over skating.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
This is unfair to Marner. It's way too easy to just dismiss this idea for being an overreaction to preseason, and there's just no case to be made on a larger sample. The Toews and Kane comparison is apt, but right now Matthews is a clearly better Toews while we can just hope that Marner can reach Kane's level, not to mention improve upon it.

Let's wait until after the season before even asking questions like these. I doubt the answer changes, but I do think we'll legitimately be able to put at least Marner, and maybe Nylander too, on Tavares' level.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
A lot of hot takes on this thread.

Matthews/Tavares is not Crosby/Malkin... Crosby was the best player in the world for years. It's not really comparable.

Marner is not "in a fight" for 3rd best on the team. He is clearly 3rd best behind Tavares and Matthews, and he's not that far behind.

Reactions: Confucius

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This is unfair to Marner. It's way too easy to just dismiss this idea for being an overreaction to preseason, and there's just no case to be made on a larger sample. The Toews and Kane comparison is apt, but right now Matthews is a clearly better Toews while we can just hope that Marner can reach Kane's level, not to mention improve upon it.

Let's wait until after the season before even asking questions like these. I doubt the answer changes, but I do think we'll legitimately be able to put at least Marner, and maybe Nylander too, on Tavares' level.

:thumbu::thumbu:

It seems like Nylander has almost become an afterthought in the minds of many. I do think Marner will be the better player but I don't think it's a foregone conclusion and it's way too early to say that the results are in and Marner is a couple of tiers above.

As far as who the best is I really don't care and I hate these Leaf vs Leaf threads. Marner is good enough to make it unclear though, I am happy about that.

Jun 27, 2005
No. Matthews. Stop with this pumping up over preseason games.

To be fair, Marner has produced better ever since mid season last season when he got away from Bozak and JVR, as well as the playoffs. But Matthews when healthy and with the good linemates should be better. Having them play together 5v5 is a dream come true.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

I'm down with that. :)

Still building my Matthews shrine though. He's on a different level than the others.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
It’s tough to not buy five or six sweaters for my favourite Players on this team.

It’s a long way from choosing between a Kessel and a Lupul, or a Stajan and a Blake...

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He obviously isn't in a fight for 3rd, as there isn't a soul alive that doesn't think he easily becomes the 3rd highest paid on the team. That's reality with a period. Or is there some other metric I'm missing here?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

It’s unfair to JT the only player on the team to actually have a full ppg season (he has 2) he and Matthews are 1-2

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Tavares wasn’t PPG in his first two seasons either. I think Marner is going to erupt this year. He’s even killing penalties this year something Matthews isn’t doing. Don’t get me wrong Matthews is going be dominant as well just in a different way. The fact we have both should make the NHL very scared.

leafsfan1234

Jun 18, 2016
Tavares wasn’t PPG in his first two seasons either. I think Marner is going to erupt this year. He’s even killing penalties this year something Matthews isn’t doing. Don’t get me wrong Matthews is going be dominant as well just in a different way. The fact we have both should make the NHL very scared.
Matthews would probably be our best PKer if Babcock put him out there. I doubt he will though as Matthews doesn't have the best stamina.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Said before he was drafted he could one day been looked at as the 2nd best player from his draft class, still believe it.

Saying that, I don't seeing him overtaking Matthews.

Reactions: thunder16

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad