Is Marner the best passer in the league

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
Eichel and Marner have both achieved 15 assists this year. Now I'm not going to grade them on the respective qualities of those assists, but what I can tell you, is that tonight will settle once and for all this Marner/Eichel debate in my mind. Mitch needs to put on a show for those folks in Southern Cali. tonight, in order to be crowned the King of Passing.
You mean tomorrow night? No game tonight lol

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
He's out to defend the Marleau family name tonight. In fact, any last name that starts with "M," and certain first names too. Chivalry, thy name is Mitch. Once a Knight,..

Last edited:

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
Great skill on the pass to Kapanen. A steal and very perfect pass to spring Kappy (Kap's playing awesome)

The pass to Tavares was smart. Mitch tried to drive the net, or draw a penalty, which created some confusion and space for JT to exploit. I didn't follow Tavares much before the trade, and I'm impressed with JT's stick handling and creativity.

I don't think Marner should let up. He needs to make his 1st All Star Game, and he's surrounded by great talent.

He ought to just stay on the gas, while reserving all due caution, and pass some other teams franchise players, now that Eichel's in the rear-view.

Last edited:

Prospero

Feb 23, 2013
Buffalo
I think it's telling how you Loonies are afraid to talk about how good Mitch is

He's not scary as a dude, though. Why not enjoy him?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I think Mitch Marner is the best passer in the league

I second this.

When marner got the puck in OT he was skating slowly and I was wondering why he wasnt attacking.

But he timed it perfectly with Morgan and set him up with an awesome pass.

The kid is just insane. If we didnt have nylander or Matthew's we'd still be lucky to have marner

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I second this.

When marner got the puck in OT he was skating slowly and I was wondering why he wasnt attacking.

But he timed it perfectly with Morgan and set him up with an awesome pass.

The kid is just insane. If we didnt have nylander or Matthew's we'd still be lucky to have marner
I didn't think he'd get there (at least so soon), but he's good enough to be the best player on a good team. he's one hell of a player

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
I didn't think he'd get there (at least so soon), but he's good enough to be the best player on a good team. he's one hell of a player

I had my doubts as well but he seems to be a hard worker that loves the sport.

Add in that he gets to play with JT. That has to be good for anyones development

Before the season I guessed around 75-80 points for marner but now I think that might have been a little low :p

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Wierd thing for me is that it doesnt even feel like marner is on a hot streak right now.

Hes had one 4 point game and one 3 point game so far. That's it.

It's almost unfair giving him the puck on the pp

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I might sound egregious saying this, but I think he could have a higher ceiling than Patrick Kane offensively. He's now tied for second in league scoring and everything he's doing is sustainable. Not even a hot streak.
Worth pointing out that almost none of it is secondary points either. He leads the league in primary production.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I might sound egregious saying this, but I think he could have a higher ceiling than Patrick Kane offensively. He's now tied for second in league scoring and everything he's doing is sustainable. Not even a hot streak.
he doesn't have Patrick Kane's hands (nobody does lmao), but he is much more of a puck-hunter / takeaway machine than Kane is.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I've thought for a long while he's the most offensively gifted player on the team and I still stick by it. I love his skill set.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
From the Toronto Sun
SIMMONS: Price for Leafs’ Marner is going up, up and up
Why did the Arizona Coyotes pass on Marner and draft Dylan Strome? Two reasons, I’m told. One, they needed a centre. Two, the analytic heavy Coyotes did not like the numbers of Marner’s zone entries in his draft year at London … Mike Babcock is not a fan of the zone entry statistic. He thinks it’s mumbo jumbo. He thinks three quarters of the zone entries don’t factor in the game at all, rendering the stat rather meaningless …

LeafsHome

Oct 17, 2018
Toronto
he doesn't have Patrick Kane's hands (nobody does lmao), but he is much more of a puck-hunter / takeaway machine than Kane is.
That puck takeaway at the Leaf blue line on the Kappy short handed goal was unreal - it's like he knew what the Shark player was going to do before even he did

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I said this a long time ago...Marner is the best passer since Wayne Gretzky. He doesn’t follow the puck where it is going, he goes where the puck will be. That’s Gretzky level anticipation and hockey IQ.

It baffles me why Marner and Matthews aren’t on the same line except for the PP. their chemistry is off the charts. They truly are like Gretzky-Messier. Wayne said so himself and I strongly agree

Reactions: Hollywood North

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->