Is Marner much less w/o Matthews? Is Matthews much less w/o Marner?

Who is MORE important than whom?

• Total voters

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
Personally I prefer Marner with Tavares. Marner and Matthews compliment each other very well and have proven to be incredible players independently and are more than capable of driving a top line.

Reactions: Garthinater

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Personally I prefer Marner with Tavares. Marner and Matthews compliment each other very well and have proven to be incredible players independently and are more than capable of driving a top line.

I mean so has Tavares so...

Outside of the fact that he was completely snake bitten 5-on-5 in terms of goal scoring, Tavares has easily been one of the best all-around centers in the league this year.

Steve

Mar 6, 2002
I mean so has Tavares so...

Outside of the fact that he was completely snake bitten 5-on-5 in terms of goal scoring, Tavares has easily been one of the best all-around centers in the league this year.

I'm not sure about "one of the best all-around" but he's been great and I'm happy with what he brings everyday so I have no complaints. I just prefer Marner with Tavares b/c it gives us 2 guys who are capable of scoring 40. Don't get me wrong, Marner & Matthews is so fun to watch, my personal preference is the balance but I'm also sitting at home vs coaching so....

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
I agree ...and the reasons for me is that Marner's pass first mentality can stifle opportunities because opponents try to eliminate the pass and dont worry too much about Marner's shot, with Nylander, he can shoot as well as he can make a cross zone pass, so, he needs to pull a defender away from Matthews.
Marner and Tavares are similar, but would face off against the 2nd pairing and #2 line which makes life easier, and Tavares is a slippery son of a gun, even moreso than Matthews and can get his shot off easier vs the lesser defenders.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews was the best ES goal scorer in the league before Marner and him were united.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
I don't believe that "Marner just ain't that special w/o Matthews", but they're not equally valuable or important, so I picked the former despite the poor wording.

Keep in mind for all that Marner sets up Matthews beyond what, say, Nylander would be capable of, he still struggles to finish his own chances. Is Matthews a great or even very good playmaker? It's hard to say when he usually plays with guys who struggle to score from the ranges he does himself with ease.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I really like this board, even though I lost my like button.

But this thread, just feeds into what Zeke says, we don't seem to appreciate great toys.

These two guys are sensational. Look at what journeymen, has been basketball makers earn . No wonder Dubas, paid these guys.

Reactions: The Cobra

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I am not going to read through the whole thread, but you must be mentally deficient, to use the more PC term - to have voted "Marner needs Matthews to be great" choice.
(both are great players btw, regardless of who they play with)

Marner has already proved otherwise.
90 point season without Matthews, giving a veteran superstar (Tavares) 47 goals, his highest total ever despite the fact he's on the downslope from his prime that year.

The best Matthews did without Marner (other than the pp, which they've always been on together) is . . . 40, in his rookie year. He was basically on that same pace next 2 years, then when Babs got fired his next year, switched to Marner. Instant huge uptick.

All evidence points to the OPPOSITE being true, in fact - that Matthews is only a "good" superstar without Marner, and with Marner, is a Hart candidate and Rocket winner.
Discuss.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I don't believe that "Marner just ain't that special w/o Matthews", but they're not equally valuable or important, so I picked the former despite the poor wording.

Keep in mind for all that Marner sets up Matthews beyond what, say, Nylander would be capable of, he still struggles to finish his own chances. Is Matthews a great or even very good playmaker? It's hard to say when he usually plays with guys who struggle to score from the ranges he does himself with ease.

"struggles" to finish his own chances? Really? (18 goals in 50 games)
Comparing his ability to make other players better to ... Nylander? (where did Tavares' 47 goal pace go, against a weaker North division?!?)

Yeesh.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
"struggles" to finish his own chances? Really? (18 goals in 50 games)
Comparing his ability to make other players better to ... Nylander? (where did Tavares' 47 goal pace go, against a weaker North division?!?)

Yeesh.

18 goals in 52 games, 3 of which are ENG. That's a 24-goal pace over 82 games while averaging more TOI than any forward but McDavid. So what part of what I said is wrong? Is he actually a great goal scorer? No, Marner still has a weak shot with a slow release. He has great hands and puck control instead.

Yes, I compared Marner's playmaking ability to Nylander's and said it was better. No shit. What part of that are you actually disagreeing with? Of course Tavares would probably be putting up more points if he played with Marner full time. Tavares' shooting rates and % have both gone down significantly in the last couple of seasons, but conversely, his assist rates are going up slightly, so go figure.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm not sure about "one of the best all-around" but he's been great and I'm happy with what he brings everyday so I have no complaints. I just prefer Marner with Tavares b/c it gives us 2 guys who are capable of scoring 40. Don't get me wrong, Marner & Matthews is so fun to watch, my personal preference is the balance but I'm also sitting at home vs coaching so....

He has one of the highest faceoff percentages in the league, 13th for centers in terms of assists, 20th in goals (in spite of his snake bitten start of the season), and well-above average defensively this year too. He is no Matthews, MacKinnon, McDavid, etc. but he has quietly and consistently been amazing all year and if he was ES goals like he normally does (and has now been doing for almost a month now), he would be given a ton of praise right now. Same if we had a non-anemic PP that actually uses him for more than a high slot screen.

He came out with a bang in his first year here because how can you not notice a guy who puts up 47 goals, but he is one of the most consistent guys I have ever seen while also being arguably the least flashy superstar in the league. That can make him go unnoticed.

Reactions: Steve

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
18 goals in 52 games, 3 of which are ENG. That's a 24-goal pace over 82 games while averaging more TOI than any forward but McDavid. So what part of what I said is wrong? Is he actually a great goal scorer? No, Marner still has a weak shot with a slow release. He has great hands and puck control instead.

Yes, I compared Marner's playmaking ability to Nylander's and said it was better. No shit. What part of that are you actually disagreeing with? Of course Tavares would probably be putting up more points if he played with Marner full time. Tavares' shooting rates and % have both gone down significantly in the last couple of seasons, but conversely, his assist rates are going up slightly, so go figure.

Marner has more goals than Tavares and Nylander, facts.
He's 2nd on the team in goal scoring.

So I continue to question your statement about him being somehow deficient for goal scoring . . . not his forte obviously; but he's pretty darn good at it still. Better than Tavares and Nylander this year, both considered solid goal scorers.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
He has one of the highest faceoff percentages in the league, 13th for centers in terms of assists, 20th in goals (in spite of his snake bitten start of the season), and well-above average defensively this year too. He is no Matthews, MacKinnon, McDavid, etc. but he has quietly and consistently been amazing all year and if he was ES goals like he normally does (and has now been doing for almost a month now), he would be given a ton of praise right now. Same if we had a non-anemic PP that actually uses him for more than a high slot screen.

He came out with a bang in his first year here because how can you not notice a guy who puts up 47 goals, but he is one of the most consistent guys I have ever seen while also being arguably the least flashy superstar in the league. That can make him go unnoticed.
Tavares asked to be put in front of the net. ...quick hands/release

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Marner has more goals than Tavares and Nylander, facts.
He's 2nd on the team in goal scoring.

So I continue to question your statement about him being somehow deficient for goal scoring . . . not his forte obviously; but he's pretty darn good at it still. Better than Tavares and Nylander this year, both considered solid goal scorers.
Marner averages 4 mins more per game than Tavares, and 6 more than Nylander, and they are 1 and 2 goals behind.
Marner is not an elite NHL scorer and never has been, Tavares is, and Nylander is also a better scorer then Marner over their careers.

Marner gets the most opportunity of any player on the team to shoot on net, and if he had even an above average shot, he'd be a 30+ goal scorer every year. ...its something he can still develop, as it is better this year, but, too inconsistent

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I am not going to read through the whole thread, but you must be mentally deficient, to use the more PC term - to have voted "Marner needs Matthews to be great" choice.
(both are great players btw, regardless of who they play with)

Marner has already proved otherwise.
90 point season without Matthews, giving a veteran superstar (Tavares) 47 goals, his highest total ever despite the fact he's on the downslope from his prime that year.

The best Matthews did without Marner (other than the pp, which they've always been on together) is . . . 40, in his rookie year. He was basically on that same pace next 2 years, then when Babs got fired his next year, switched to Marner. Instant huge uptick.

All evidence points to the OPPOSITE being true, in fact - that Matthews is only a "good" superstar without Marner, and with Marner, is a Hart candidate and Rocket winner.
Discuss.

Matthews has looked like a generational goal scorer the whole time. It's not like he started playing with Marner and then all of a sudden started blowing the doors off. It's been a consistent run-up to this point for him.

I don't go either way on the topic in general, though. They are both great with or without each other, and I think this discussion is just searching for an argument that doesn't need to happen.

Reactions: slozo

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Marner averages 4 mins more per game than Tavares, and 6 more than Nylander, and they are 1 and 2 goals behind.
Marner is not an elite NHL scorer and never has been, Tavares is, and Nylander is also a better scorer then Marner over their careers.

Marner gets the most opportunity of any player on the team to shoot on net, and if he had even an above average shot, he'd be a 30+ goal scorer every year. ...its something he can still develop, as it is better this year, but, too inconsistent
Now take out the penalty kill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad