Is Marner much less w/o Matthews? Is Matthews much less w/o Marner?

Who is MORE important than whom?

• Total voters

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
All I know is they are both elite players you build a team around and they make our rivals and HFboards main thread very angry when they are successful.

I love having both of them after over a decade of no playoffs and failed drafting.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Why can't we just think they are both good, and both benefit from playing with each other? Why we gotta have a stupid hot take?

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Is peanut butter much less without jam, or is jam much less without peanut butter?

Not to take a dump on the original question, because its all in good fun. But much like peanut butter and jam, they are an elite combination.

Auston and mitch are generational players in my opinion, but compliment each other so well that it brings out the absolute best in both.

We are a very lucky fanbase right now

Reactions: Holymakinaw

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Matthews really does need a competent set up man. We know that from those times when he had Hyman and Brown as his wingers and his offense jumped off a cliff. He doesn't have the speed to really become a consistent playmaker as he's always being challenged when he has the puck.

Marner is damn good, Matthews is damn good. Matthews can create on the fly but it's not sustainable. That's why he needed either Marner or Nylander on his wing to continually drive offense. Marner is the opposite where he's a very good set up man, but he needs finishers. He can create offensive opportunities constantly but needs someone that can finish the plays because he's not so good at scoring himself.

So the answer is both are equally as important. They are both parts of a 1-2 punch. Marner can probably work with lesser players a bit better than Matthews can but in the end you don't want to be in that situation as a team anyways. Matthews isn't dependent on Marner and Marner isn't dependent on Matthews but more that he's dependent on playmakers in general much like Marner is dependent on scorers.

Reactions: Garthinater

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Matthews really does need a competent set up man. We know that from those times when he had Hyman and Brown as his wingers and his offense jumped off a cliff. He doesn't have the speed to really become a consistent playmaker as he's always being challenged when he has the puck.

Marner is damn good, Matthews is damn good. Matthews can create on the fly but it's not sustainable. That's why he needed either Marner or Nylander on his wing to continually drive offense. Marner is the opposite where he's a very good set up man, but he needs finishers. He can create offensive opportunities constantly but needs someone that can finish the plays because he's not so good at scoring himself.

So the answer is both are equally as important. They are both parts of a 1-2 punch. Marner can probably work with lesser players a bit better than Matthews can but in the end you don't want to be in that situation as a team anyways. Matthews isn't dependent on Marner and Marner isn't dependent on Matthews but more that he's dependent on playmakers in general much like Marner is dependent on scorers.
Good post.

One additional point to this discussion, Marner is literally looking to get Matthews the puck at every turn, sometimes almost too much. And every time Mitch gets the puck, he draws a crowd and Matthews finds the soft spot in the coverage to accept the pass. It’s poetry watching two guys do what everyone knows they are going to do, but can’t stop it, because they’re both the BEST at their craft.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It's a top 5 passer in the game with the best goal scorer, they both help one another to create one of the best duos in hockey

Reactions: The Cobra

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Dumb poll. Matthews was drafted 1st overall and scored 40 goals as a rookie without Marner and without any PP time.

Marner was drafted 4th overall and won every individual award in the CHL, then carried whatever line he was played on in the NHL before ever getting to play with Matthews for more than a shift or two.

To say they need each other to produce is a joke. To say Hyman is the reason for their production is even worse

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Players play with whomever the coach tells them to play with so it's a moot point as such. Each reliies on the other as long as they are on the same line.

As it were, they were both highly touted. 1st and 4th picks overall in their respective drafts. Marner was second in the OHL in points, Matthews had a unique career on the way up, his work on the International stage and playing in the Swiss league (how lucky are the Leafs that he didn't go in the 2015 draft? They couldn't pick both players).

I do believe that if they stay together their entire careers that the Leafs record book will have both of their names up top, along with a couple of Cups almost certainly. The Oates/Hull of our time, though hopefully for much longer (imagine Oates career totals if he would have been working with Hull for the years he helped Neely?).

Hell, we might be comparing them more to Gretzky/Kurri at some point. Win some Cups and these guys will live for eternity in Toronto and the comparisons won't seem so outlandish.

WilyStyless03SHYla

aimiriteee
Apr 26, 2021
Both can drive they're own line seperately , but why not put the generational vision , with the generational goal scoring.

Especially with the depth the Leafs have.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I don’t care if peanut butter is better or jam is better.

I’m just going to keep making PB&J sandwiches.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
Matthews was a superstar without Marner and vice versa. It’s makes sense that their numbers rise together as they are both getting older and starting to come into their prime. Elite players benefit from playing with elite players but Matthews still put up points playing with KK and AJ. Marner had an amazing rookie season with JVR and ballsack. They’re both elite players in their own right

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Both are franchise level talents - Matthews popped 40 in his D1 with two other rookies, and in his sophomore season Mitch got 94 points.

But I do think both are a little less without the other.

Also consider that scoring was lower that season, and his total ice time was just 17:38 with only 2 minutes per game on the powerplay. Still finished 2nd in goals, and could've easily been the goal scoring leader if he played regular minutes. Auston Matthews today would be a 60 goal superstar two-way forward without Marner, with him we might see 65-70.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I think Marner would make anyone he plays with better. I also think Matthews could do it on his own if he had to, but with Marner there he makes it easier for Matthews for sure, and I think that extra effort is now directed to Matthews defensive effort. In effect, making Matthews a better all-round player... which is a big win for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad