Is Malkin really all that better than Semin?

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I'm not sure where you pulled the "lacks mental tenacity" from; He has a 7 game point streak going- longest in the league.
Like I said, until he shows up on a nightly basis- I wouldn't mention him in the same sentence as Malkin. I have watched Semin play before and sometimes he looks great and sometimes he has looked downright lost out there.

A 7 game point streak isn't going to exactly sway me, but if he keeps this strong play then I will.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Dec 4, 2002
Tallahassee, FL
Visit site
Semin would have been drafted a lot higher if teams knew what he would eventually end up as. At the time of the draft he had a lot of question marks. Size and commitment to the NHL being the big ones. Well, he came over to the NHL and he bulked up during the offseason. I doubt he falls as far as he did if GMs didn't have those question marks on him, but thats how it goes.

Semin will probably not be better then Malkin, but thats not the question. It's "Is Malkin that much better?" I don't know enough about Malkin to answer that fairly.

Watched 2 minutes and i have not seen 1 nice 1 on 1 move around players like a few of the Malkin ones but it wasn't like alot of Datsyuk reels or anything.

Are you suggesting Semin can't deke? You should have finished the video before saying something like that. The person that made the video saved some of the cooler goals till the end of the reel. The goal at like the 3:20 markish vs the Panthers is definately something special

There is some videos of his rookie year goals floating around in which he absolutely undressed some NHL defenseman (2 years ago!). If he wasn't on the atrociously coached Caps that season he would have gotten more notice, he was contained by his own caoch by only getting 10 minutes a game and in limited roles even though he was producing and many fans wanted him to get zubrus/millers minutes.

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Like I said, until he shows up on a nightly basis- I wouldn't mention him in the same sentence as Malkin. I have watched Semin play before and sometimes he looks great and sometimes he has looked downright lost out there.

A 7 game point streak isn't going to exactly sway me, but if he keeps this strong play then I will.

Well, he hasn't looked lost or lazy at all this year- which is close to being considered a rookie year.

He didn't 2 years ago either, even playing 4th line minutes as a true rookie.

He's been the Caps best player, so :dunno: @ that comment.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
i personally think semin will have a great career, a little like mogilny or naslund, but i truly think malkin will be a lemieux like player. He will be the best forward in the game, 2nd only to crosby.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Let me guess you've watched a grand total of ZERO Caps games this season, and really shouldn't be commenting.

Go sell crazy someplace else.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Semin would have been drafted a lot higher if teams knew what he would eventually end up as. At the time of the draft he had a lot of question marks. Size and commitment to the NHL being the big ones. Well, he came over to the NHL and he bulked up during the offseason. I doubt he falls as far as he did if GMs didn't have those question marks on him, but thats how it goes.

Semin will probably not be better then Malkin, but thats not the question. It's "Is Malkin that much better?" I don't know enough about Malkin to answer that fairly.

Are you suggesting Semin can't deke? You should have finished the video before saying something like that. The person that made the video saved some of the cooler goals till the end of the reel. The goal at like the 3:20 markish vs the Panthers is definately something special

There is some videos of his rookie year goals floating around in which he absolutely undressed some NHL defenseman (2 years ago!). If he wasn't on the atrociously coached Caps that season he would have gotten more notice, he was contained by his own caoch by only getting 10 minutes a game and in limited roles even though he was producing and many fans wanted him to get zubrus/millers minutes.

Let's not pretend that there weren't questions about Malkin too. He had suffered an ugly concussion a few months before the 2004 draft. He had played RSL fourth line minutes and scored very little. He was frail looking. I can't speak for you, but some people contend that Malkin was a sure thing. If he were, there would have been a lot more debate at the draft about who should go first. The only debate you saw was regarding upside, as some scouts (NJ's European Scout according to Doc Emerick during the Pens-Devils game a week ago) thought Malkin's upside was higher. That said, Malkin was not a sure thing. He wasn't a total gamble, but the idea that people knew he would become that player he has become is way off base.

Intensive Purposes

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
I know hes bigger, hes younger and hes a center, but is Evgeni Malkin really on a different level than Semin as a prospect?

How dare you? Evgeni Malkin has already been awarded the Calder and Hart for 2006-07, the Hart, Art Ross, Selke and Vezina for 2007-08, the Heisman and Nextel Cup in 2009, and in 2010 - hockey will be re-named Malkin.

Can Alexander Semin lay claim to any of that? I didn't think so.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Has anyone used the "Malkin will be exponentially better than Semin is now by the time he reaches the same age" argument yet?:dunno:

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
Has anyone used the "Malkin will be exponentially better than Semin is now by the time he reaches the same age" argument yet?:dunno:

It was used earlier. But then I reminded them that it is impossible to become a better player after the age of 20. :sarcasm:

Malkinchuk

Oct 23, 2006
Seriously, I see Malkin as the next step in the evolution of hockey- the first truly generational Russian player. While there have been numerous other Russians who were superstar level, Malkin seems to be a step beyond in terms of ability, presence, etc. Almost Lemieux-like. Granted it's still very early but it's not hard to see how advanced his game is at such an early stage. So I guess you can tell where I stand on this debate.

Jack Splat

Apr 8, 2006
Hershey, PA
Malkin will be super-fly.

Semin will be ... uh ... Spanish fly?

Don't the Caps also have Semen Varlamov in the system? They're going to have a pretty potent lineup in the future.

You're right, the Semin/Semen puns are fun!

TheFlowerist

Nov 16, 2005
As someone mentionned on the caps board, Malkin better be aware when cutting through the middle...not to get victimised by a nasty open ice hit

i have seen numerous players get their socks knocked off on similar plays. He seems to have the tendency to do this quite a bit

It is true that Malkin is something very special. On that NJ goal, besides the fact it was a pretty one, he showed so much composure and calmness while executing it, I was very impressed

As for Semin, he will be that secondary threat who,especially in the PO, will be much more lethal than OV IMO, with his shiftiness and his capacity to release vicious wristshots from nowhere

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Seriously, I see Malkin as the next step in the evolution of hockey- the first truly generational Russian player. While there have been numerous other Russians who were superstar level, Malkin seems to be a step beyond in terms of ability, presence, etc. Almost Lemieux-like. Granted it's still very early but it's not hard to see how advanced his game is at such an early stage. So I guess you can tell where I stand on this debate.

I think Malkin will be a great player but holy cow I don't think we were watching the same game, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->