Is MacKinnon A Top Ten Player?

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I think he is. I can understand the track record argument, but there’s nothing in Mack’s stats to indicate he’s going to regress. Watching him play as well, he creates so much offence just by himself. The only real thing is the disparity between his home and away stats, which is odd because he actually has a higher QoC at home

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Giroux's finished in the top four in Hart voting three times (including last season).

Hall's been a top ten point producer three times (including last season).

Those two weren't anything special in 2016-2017, but neither was MacK.

To me it seems to commonly be believed that he's better than either of those players even though they both performed at a similar level last season and each one has had more than a single big season (unlike MacKinnon).

I like Nate... I just don't get why he's getting so much acclaim compared to the actual Hart winner suddenly.

As I said, he plays several more games and he’s likely the Hart trophy winner at 22. That’s why.

Feb 24, 2017
Seriously. I'm pretty sick of it, to be honest. It's the same handful of posters that constantly drag the topic into that as well..

I hate Auston Matthews, and it's entirely because of the Toronto fanbase.
And because from a distance it looks like he literally has 4 wide open eyes?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
As much as I love Mac, he needs more than one season to be considered a top 10 player. His career high before last season was 63 points, and that was 4/5 years ago.

Agree, this year says whether or not last year was an aberration. If it wasn't, Colorado is in great shape because Mack and Rantenen are flying under the radar as an ultra talented duo.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Seriously. I'm pretty sick of it, to be honest. It's the same handful of posters that constantly drag the topic into that as well..

I hate Auston Matthews, and it's entirely because of the Toronto fanbase.

For the Leafs fans that like to claim that they are persecuted all the time come back and read this. It is the gospel....

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Wouldn't put him in my list yet due to a lack of a track record, even as an Avs fan. I do think that he'll solidify his status this year - it has always been obvious that Mack had that kind of skill and that he only needed to put the pieces together. Now that he has shown the goods for a whole season, I don't think he will be looking back.
This ! :cheers:

Reactions: vicprestige

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Not only did MacKinnon miss 8 games, he didn't really start producing until 10 games into the season. The pace he was on was absolutely nuts for today's NHL. He was on a pace that was .1 ppg less than McDavid. If he can pull together a complete, healthy season, then the sky is the limit for him.

Colorado is also on the rise, and that will only help his situation. If he isn't a top 10 player, he will be, very soon.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
What's with people jumping the gun so fast? No. He only had one good season. One. Don't care about potential and all of that stuff. It's about results. If he has another good season then yes his name can be included but for now. Nopeeeee.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
At some point you have to take a guy for granted when it’s this obvious (like with Mackinnon)...or well, if you want, really, just wait 2-3 years to realize there was nothing to wait for.

He broke out. It’s done. I don’t think this is some sort of fluke. He was outright dominant, in a Crosby-Malkin category almost, last season. He was really really good. Guys like Giroux and Kucherov are not that dominant, although Kucherov has had some such stretches, especially how he played in the latter half of 16-17.

Sometimes a player’s ability to sustain elite play depends on the player’s skillset. That’s why I think it’s more probable to see regression offensively from Hall or Kopitar than it is for Mackinnon. Hall’s style is much less...idk, polyvalent? It’s really north-south type stuff. Kopitar is an elite 2 way player, but offensively his lack of top speed can slow him down. Those guys don’t have a shot as good as Mackinnon’s, nor do they have as good and soft hands. And while Hall is super fast, I find he isn’t as shifty.

With so much skill and talent, Mackinnon will undoubtely sustain that type of performance in my opinion. He’s just too skilled overall. There really isn’t an area where he is lacking. Slowly work on the defensive game...just like Crosby did.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
This thread is an example why no one can complain about Auston Matthews being mentioned since his name was brought up by someone who was not a Leafs fan.

Yet leaf fans continue to make posts about Matthews more then once after the fact talking about not talking about Matthews.

Golden.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I want to see him do it again. Lots of great indicators that he's finally broken out, but I think it's completely fair to be skeptical that a ~50 point guy turned into a ~100 point guy almost overnight. He was probably a top2 player last season (shoulda won Hart IMO), so if he repeats then he's easily in the top5. If he settles in around 80 points I think that leaves him around the 8-12 mark.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
I’ve been trying to stay off the Leaf’s fan hate-wagon, but holy shit you guys are unbearable, and that’s coming from a Rangers fan :laugh:.

I personally need another stellar season from Mack to put him in my top ten.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
MacKinnon was great last season, but his production was fuelled by abnormally high on ice shooting percentages.

I won't be surprised if he establishes him as a top 10 player in the league, but his production should take a hit as the puck luck normalizes. I wouldn't put him in my top 10 now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
As a Flyers and Giroux fan, i'd take MacKinnon going forward. That age discrepency is huge.

I have MacKinnon in my top 10 without a doubt.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
A lot of people seem to be putting him on top five or top ten lists. He was incredible last season, but it's the first truly elite season he has had.

Giroux has more elite seasons than MacKinnon and he outscored him even last season. What is the rationale for putting him in the top five or ten and not also considering Hall and Giroux to be top five or top ten players? That Giroux is older and less likely to replicate his performance from last season? Hall beat MacK for the Hart last season and was as good or better in each of the previous four seasons.

Is it too soon to call MacK a top five or top ten player in the NHL?

Giroux was great last year but I'm not sure how anyone could look at his ~10 year career and expect him to be that good again. it's far more likely for him to regress and just have a good year then Mack or Hall. Giroux's actually had huge years followed by just being good. there's a reason he went from one of the next big stars and on NHL covers to probably not making most peoples top 10 lists.

Reactions: GlitchMarner

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Mackinnon is only 23, had his first elite season, and I’m expecting more to come from him. I think this is only the beginning. I’d put him top 5-10 easily.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
If MacKinnon hadn’t missed 8 games last year, he would’ve finished 2nd in scoring and run away with the Hart. So that’s probably a big reason.

Hall missed games too so no, he wouldn’t have one the Hart. I’ll say no he’s not just bc of this biased post

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
1 elite season does not make you a top 10 player.

If he has a similar season this year, I will have no issues with him being ranked in the top 10.

Kuch has had 2 elite seasons in a row, along with 66 points and a PPG playoffs the year before but some people still don't consider him top 10.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
1 elite season does not make you a top 10 player.

If he has a similar season this year, I will have no issues with him being ranked in the top 10.

Kuch has had 2 elite seasons in a row, along with 66 points and a PPG playoffs the year before but some people still don't consider him top 10.

The game is more than just points. Plenty of Lightning fans were saying Kucherov didn't deserve the Hart (before McDavid lit it up the last season) over Mackinnon or Hall even though he was leading the NHL in points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad