Speculation: Is Lucic at the top of the pops?

Is Lucic the 2nd best player right now?

• Total voters

space321

May 11, 2011
The only thing he's done better than last year is being physical. He had a gimme goal from McDavid then made a pretty good pass to Draisaitl. That's it. He's still fumbling pucks and killing plays on the rush. His physical play probably puts him middle ofthe pack on the team, but yikes that's a really low return for 6m/yr for the next 5 years.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The only thing he's done better than last year is being physical. He had a gimme goal from McDavid then made a pretty good pass to Draisaitl. That's it. He's still fumbling pucks and killing plays on the rush. His physical play probably puts him middle ofthe pack on the team, but yikes that's a really low return for 6m/yr for the next 5 years.

He was physical last year too. People act like he didn't hit, but he was no.3 in the entire NHL for hits last season.

That's not the issue.

The issue is his offence, especially 5on5 falling off a cliff.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

This is literally probably the biggest reason we signed him. If we just wanted points, we could have found a much cheaper player. I would like his points to increase, but judge a player by his role. Lucic's main role is to be physical and intimidating. If he doesn't do that (like last year), that's a waste.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He was physical last year too. People act like he didn't hit, but he was no.3 in the entire NHL for hits last season.

That's not the issue.

The issue is his offence, especially 5on5 falling off a cliff.

The difference is he's more visibly engaged this year. Sure, he had hits last season, but I can't think of a single time he actually helped to change the momentum or set the pace for a game or period. This year he's been more impactful in his physical play which has evidently been aided by him being faster and healthier this year.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The difference is he's more visibly engaged this year. Sure, he had hits last season, but I can't think of a single time he actually helped to change the momentum or set the pace for a game or period. This year he's been more impactful in his physical play which has evidently been aided by him being faster and healthier this year.

He was trying last year. He just at some point (like probably 20 games + without a goal) started to get down on himself, but it's not like he was coasting last year.

This isn't an effort problem. This is a "you're declining and not fast or skilled enough for the centers you want to play with" problem.

Even his first year here, his production was heavily inflated by half of his points coming on the PP. Now teams are much tougher on our PP and took away options like Letestu and made it harder for Lucic (if you can't stop McDavid, guess who teams look at stopping? Everyone else), but the 5v5 production has been a problem for him here since day 1.

Reactions: ujju2

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
He's been more physical, but that's only the product of his improved play overall. He's a bit faster, and more puck aware, and that gives him more opportunity to make big hits because he's not 2 seconds away from the play all the time. If he can keep playing like this, he will get a lot of points too.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He was trying last year. He just at some point (like probably 20 games + without a goal) started to get down on himself, but it's not like he was coasting last year.

This isn't an effort problem. This is a "you're declining and not fast or skilled enough for the centers you want to play with" problem.

Even his first year here, his production was heavily inflated by half of his points coming on the PP. Now teams are much tougher on our PP and took away options like Letestu and made it harder for Lucic (if you can't stop McDavid, guess who teams look at stopping? Everyone else), but the 5v5 production has been a problem for him here since day 1.

Never said there was a lack of effort last year, but I think he simply looks faster and more skilled this year. Maybe because he's fully healthy? It's harder to look engaged in the game when you are injured, and especially when your confidence is shot as a result of an injury. Engagement and effort aren't necessarily synonymous. So yeah, he's declining, but last year was still an anomaly. That's all I'm saying.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Never said there was a lack of effort last year, but I think he simply looks faster and more skilled this year. Maybe because he's fully healthy? It's harder to look engaged in the game when you are injured, and especially when your confidence is shot as a result of an injury. Engagement and effort aren't necessarily synonymous. So yeah, he's declining, but last year was still an anomaly. That's all I'm saying.

I actually think he has a fair shot of coming in below that 35 points from last season this year.

space321

May 11, 2011
This is literally probably the biggest reason we signed him. If we just wanted points, we could have found a much cheaper player. I would like his points to increase, but judge a player by his role. Lucic's main role is to be physical and intimidating. If he doesn't do that (like last year), that's a waste.

Bro you think we signed him to 7x6 = FORTY TWO f***ING MILLION DOLLARS to be physical and not put up goals and points? I know it was just legalized but take it easy man...

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Bro you think we signed him to 7x6 = FORTY TWO ****ING MILLION DOLLARS to be physical and not put up goals and points? I know it was just legalized but take it easy man...

It's funny how defensive some people get aovut this contract like it will magically get BETTER over time.

If I could have Nylander at 7 million or Lucic at 6 for 7 years I know which one I'd want.

Reactions: oilWILDcountry

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It's funny how defensive some people get aovut this contract like it will magically get BETTER over time.

If I could have Nylander at 7 million or Lucic at 6 for 7 years I know which one I'd want.

Is that a choice the Oilers actually have? Can they trade Lucic for Nylander straight up? Of course everyone would take Nylander over Lucic.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I predict a trade or buyout next year.

If they buy him out next summer, his cap hit for the next four years would be $3.625M, $5.625M, $4.125M, and $5.625M. Then $625K for four more years. It's not happening. Trade or expansion draft is the only way out unless there's a free compliance buyout provision in the next CBA.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Is that a choice the Oilers actually have? Can they trade Lucic for Nylander straight up? Of course everyone would take Nylander over Lucic.
No one except Chiarelli would trade Nylander for Lucic.

Point is if dummy didn't sign him we'd have a ton of room to get Nylander.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
If they buy him out next summer, his cap hit for the next four years would be $3.625M, $5.625M, $4.125M, and $5.625M. Then $625K for four more years. It's not happening. Trade or expansion draft is the only way out unless there's a free compliance buyout provision in the next CBA.

Lol and guess what happens if there is no compliance buyout. I hope all the owners and players insist on 3 buyouts. It hurts no one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad