Speculation: Is Lucic at the top of the pops?

Is Lucic the 2nd best player right now?

• Total voters

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Third best I'd say. Nugent Hopkins has been the 2nd best player for the Oilers thus far.

That being said, and I've said it many times before, the hate of him is burned so deep into some guys that it really doesn't matter to them that he is playing the best hockey he has played in an Oilers uniform. If that third line sticks together and has the chemistry we have saw so far, the points will come. If he is given PP1 time and that third line gels, he will get 50 points.

But some guys will bitch just to bitch. They want to have their cake and eat it too. They will bitch when he's in the top 6 and want him out, and then they will bitch when he's in the bottom 6 and not producing as much. It's never ending.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Nah Nuge has been our 2nd best player. Draisaitl actually is our 2nd best player but off to a slow start.

Everyone else has been too inconsistent, but HM to Nurse after a dominant performance against Boston and a beauty OT winner the game before.

Lucic has played well for sure though. Hasn't shown up points wise, but he's out there doing his job.

Reactions: Ladyfan

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
He's on pace for 33 whopping points.

This board sets a ridiculously low bar for him.

Clearly you haven’t been following his career or know much about it. His career high is 62 points. He has never been a massive point producer. In my mind he has been the Oilers second best forward. Yama has looked like a completely different player when he is playing with Lucic- that also has value. He is playing physical, strong on the forecheck, and creating time and space for his line mates while in a mentoring role.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Third best I'd say. Nugent Hopkins has been the 2nd best player for the Oilers thus far.

That being said, and I've said it many times before, the hate of him is burned so deep into some guys that it really doesn't matter to them that he is playing the best hockey he has played in an Oilers uniform. If that third line sticks together and has the chemistry we have saw so far, the points will come. If he is given PP1 time and that third line gels, he will get 50 points.

But some guys will ***** just to *****. They want to have their cake and eat it too. They will ***** when he's in the top 6 and want him out, and then they will ***** when he's in the bottom 6 and not producing as much. It's never ending.

I doubt he gets 50 points.

He's on pace for 33 right now while being gifted all the 1st unit PP time possible and the PP is actually scoring some goals.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Clearly you haven’t been following his career or know much about it. His career high is 62 points. He has never been a massive point producer. In my mind he has been the Oilers second best forward. Yama has looked like a completely different player when he is playing with Lucic- that also has value. He is playing physical, strong on the forecheck, and creating time and space for his line mates while in a mentoring role.

Of course he is with rose colored glasses.

Fact is he doesn't have a point since the 1st game and has 1 shot on net in the last three games and has been moved off the 2nd line.

RNH has been the second best player on the Oilers by a country mile.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Of course he is with rose colored glasses.

Fact is he doesn't have a point since the 1st game and has 1 shot on net in the last three games.

I think he has been great. I’m enjoying his play right now. Call it rose coloured glasses or whatever you want, I could care less. I’m a bit sad you can’t just sit and enjoy a game, but you go ahead and you be you.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
I doubt he gets 50 points.

He's on pace for 33 right now while being gifted all the 1st unit PP time possible and the PP is actually scoring some goals.

You do realize that if Lucic comes out and has a 2 point game in Nashville, he's on pace to score 54.

"On pace for" may be a somewhat valid argument 20-30 games into a season. Trying to use it 5 games in when the pace can be so quickly skewed in either direction isn't the best way to go about trying to prove how bad he's been.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The sample size is fairly small, so it's too early to say much about the stats, but as there's so much talk about Lucic I thought I'd take a bit closer look.

Apart from the PP points his ESP/60 is the 8th of the team (7th out of the forwards), but +- is the 2nd last (-4). His TOI is the 4th highest of the forwards and he's shot just 3 shots (16th in the team). Lucic's CF% rel is the 14th of the team, and FF% rel the 18th of the team.

I wish only the best for him, but quite honestly I don't find anything too impressive from the stats especially outside the PP points. But like I said, it's only five games so it's probably better to evaluate his progress by eye at this stage.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the measure for Lucics play isnt just how many points he has.

I look for a few things...is he contributing to keeping the play alive or is he killing the play?
Is he getting involved on the forecheck or is he playing a perimeter game?

Is he is scoring position (in front of the net) and contributing to the offence in some way?
Is he keeping up with the play?

I would say that the answer to all these questions is absolutely yes. So although I dont think he has been better than RNH I do think he has been an impact player so far. He might well be the 3rd best player on the team so far.

If he gets 50 points playing on the 3rd line with PP time then that has to be considered a very good year for him.
The key to evaluating Lucic is to accept that he will never out preform his contract.

Reactions: ujju2 and oljimmy

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
In terms of forwards not on mcdavids line he’s been the best but to say 2nd best overall player is a stretch.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
He's on pace for 33 whopping points.

This board sets a ridiculously low bar for him.
He's visually better this year than last :sarcasm:

But actually tho he hasn't been bad but I do hope the points come from him soon. I still have a bit of hope he can return to being a 20 goal, ~50 point guy

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Nugent-Hopkins has been far and away the second best forward. He's a guy who is getting better and better with age (not exactly shocking considering his play style). Nurse has had one or two poor performances, but those are more than balanced out by a few great showings. I actually think Larsson has been very good at times, as well (similar to Nurse in the sense that he's made up for one or two bad games with some big performances).

Lucic has played a simple, effective game. Maybe it's not what you expect out of a $6 million player, but if people can get past that number, he's played some very effective hockey which is helping the team.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Nuge, Nurse, and Larsson have all been better.

Looch is looking good though. He’s playing fast (by his standards) and physical, I’m happy with him.

Reactions: Ladyfan and ujju2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->