Is LTIR Abuse Getting Out of Hand?

LTIR Abuse Out of Hand?

• Total voters

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Look at the home page on Capfriendly, it seems like it's the preferred choice to circumvent the cap. All the teams with capspace issues have multiple players on LTIR. Maybe it's always this way and I've not noticed it before.

Screen Shot 2021-04-27 at 8.56.23 AM.png

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I voted no. I do think they need to address players being on LTIR then coming back to help teams during the playoffs.

Yeah there needs to be a cut off date to be back and if they are not they are no eligible to play.

Or if a player goes onto LTIR for a team, it does not count at all for the cap. So his contract comes off the cap hit entirely and they just receive that cap number to spend, but still can't go over the cap max number or go below the max min number. And the cap max stays for the entirety of the playoffs. So for example tampa had a cap hit of 82 million at the end of the regular season and wanted to bring back kuch, they would need to shed enough cap to fit back under the cap to start the playoffs with kuch in the lineup.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
If the players are injured for the 10 games/24 days, it's not really abuse is it?

Unless you are suggesting the players are not injured this length of time and are just happy to sit out instead of playing

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
If the players are injured for the 10 games/24 days, it's not really abuse is it?

Unless you are suggesting the players are not injured this length of time and are just happy to sit out instead of playing
If you take on a ltir contract in order to fill your overcap roster

It's abusing the cap

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Teams are at like 93+ million of cap space used right now because they either traded for a player that will never play again in the nhl. Or have a player that will miss every game of the season, but will be ready for game 1 of the playoffs magically once the cap is no longer in existence.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Teams are at like 93+ million of cap space used right now because they either traded for a player that will never play again in the nhl.

They also can't accrue cap space during this time. Also need to remember that teams like that are also generally paying those contracts too. Most of the time clubs trade for these players it's usually to get to the cap floor or harvest picks. It's not abusing LTIR imo.

Or have a player that will miss every game of the season, but will be ready for game 1 of the playoffs magically once the cap is no longer in existence.

Whilst this happens, most teams would prefer having those players play before the playoffs so they aren't coming in cold. I don't know there are many players willing to sit out if they are healthy just for the cap reasons.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
They also can't accrue cap space during this time. Also need to remember that teams like that are also generally paying those contracts too. Most of the time clubs trade for these players it's usually to get to the cap floor or harvest picks. It's not abusing LTIR imo.

Whilst this happens, most teams would prefer having those players play before the playoffs so they aren't coming in cold. I don't know there are many players willing to sit out if they are healthy just for the cap reasons.

No they can't acrue cap space, but they also can have an extra couple players of depth on the team that others can't have because they are 10 million over the cap.

Reactions: Alwalys

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
if you’re not cheating you’re not trying

It sounds like the LTIR framework was designed to let teams play this game, while opening up some jobs for players.
I guess much in the same way that drug testing is designed to let players gear up on a certain schedule, while protecting the league's image.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
I dont like it at all. When it was a couple guys who were actually out but wanted to get their contracts I understood. These days its so abused by teams

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Look at the home page on Capfriendly, it seems like it's the preferred choice to circumvent the cap. All the teams with capspace issues have multiple players on LTIR. Maybe it's always this way and I've not noticed it before.

View attachment 426821
I can’t wait for the next guy that all-of-a-suddenly becomes allergic to his jersey when his salary reaches 1 mil and his cap hit is 8....

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Teams are at like 93+ million of cap space used right now because they either traded for a player that will never play again in the nhl. Or have a player that will miss every game of the season, but will be ready for game 1 of the playoffs magically once the cap is no longer in existence.

I know this is a nod to Kucherov, but how many players would really be willing to participate in this scheme? Kucherov doesn't get to play any regular-season hockey...I'd assume that he's actually injured.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I know this is a nod to Kucherov, but how many players would really be willing to participate in this scheme? Kucherov doesn't get to play any regular-season hockey...I'd assume that he's actually injured.

I don't doubt the injury part, i doubt the he will just magically be healthy enough for game 1 of the stanley cup playoffs. I still stand by my theory that for a player to play in the playoffs, they need to be on the active roster and playing some time before they start.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Is that you, Kurtis Gabriel? :D
Or a million other blockheads lol

I just hate that mindset because if you have to win illegitimately, why even play? Otherwise the world would just be full of people physically taking what they want.

(And none of this is directed at the poster who said it; it’s a common cliche line)

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
It is also an effect of teams being closer to the cap ceiling as a whole than ever. Many teams will often choose to not LTIR players because you stop accruing cap space so you would not LTIR someone until you need the cap space. So many teams need it now because of the flat cap that it is more rampant this year. Some of these issues are stretches, but it basically is what it is.

Hideki N

Mar 5, 2021
I voted no. I do think they need to address players being on LTIR then coming back to help teams during the playoffs.
It's pretty simple to fix this one, just say any player on LTIR at any point after the trade deadline is ineligible for the playoffs.

The problem with retirement circumvention is another issue. I'd like to see a rule saying that you can't use LTIR until the 2nd day of the NHL season, i.e.- on day 1 all teams must be cap compliant, then you can put whomever you want on LTIR. But I would grandfather in all players who are already in the "essentially retired" category so it doesn't ruin the cap for these teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad