Speculation: Is Lou really all that great.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
Oh please. Look at Rielly's stats this season. The "Trouba is better" you could get away with last year maybe.

Unfortunately the playoffs call for Courage, and hitting is required and being hit is also a mandate, Rielly has proven to be just another skill guy who will not confront the foe. Dermott is the only D we have who has shown courage to compete. I'd take one Dermott for 5 Rielly's, in fact Dermott is the only D we have that will and can be counted on to show up come Playoff time.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Unfortunately the playoffs call for Courage, and hitting is required and being hit is also a mandate, Rielly has proven to be just another skill guy who will not confront the foe. Dermott is the only D we have who has shown courage to compete. I'd take one Dermott for 5 Rielly's, in fact Dermott is the only D we have that will and can be counted on to show up come Playoff time.
It amazes me how Rielly can play so good last season for 6 games and everyone has forgotten it. 2 Playoff games this year? He sucks.
If you change your opinion on him that fast, will you do it later tonight if he plays great? You are using such a small sample size.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It amazes me how Rielly can play so good last season for 6 games and everyone has forgotten it. 2 Playoff games this year? He sucks.
If you change your opinion on him that fast, will you do it later tonight if he plays great? You are using such a small sample size.

Could not agree more.

Matthews is not dominating and not playing well. Maybe the Leafs should play JT the max this summer since Matthews(based on the last two games) is not an elite 1C.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

It’s not just with Rielly some folks are turning on a few players based on these two games (though if the Leafs win tonight I suspect they’ll all quite down)

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
It’s not just with Rielly some folks are turning on a few players based on these two games (though if the Leafs win tonight I suspect they’ll all quite down)
I know it's annoying. I find it's happening more and more with hockey fans. that's why I was really confused why so many turned on Mitch Marner after his bad start. He had 61 points as a rookie and no one seemed to recall that.
If you turn on a player so fast, you'll just flip your opinion again if that player has a good couple of games.

Reactions: Menzinger

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

It just doesn't get any better than this. Really! Here we go folks asinine at its best. Honestly, if the mods wish to ban me for calling out stupidity, well, here I am.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
People still think you need "Grit" to win in the playoffs. Biggest crap ever. You need your best players to play at their best whichis not happening.
Phil Kessel is a playoff beast. Phil Kessel people.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I get your point. But conversely, are we going to be able to fill roster weaknesses through UFA acquisitions? If you think its better to hang on soon-to-be vets like JVR (Bozak, etc.) that is fine, but you can't have it both ways. Its (UFA acquisitions) either a good method, or it isn't. If it isn't good for other teams, then it isn't magically going to be good for us.

No I don't think JVR, Komarov or Bozak should be resigned, mostly because of long term cap implications. But that what good organizations do, let expensive guys leave and fill with younger cheaper guys.
The three guys, especially JVR might have really hurt their UFA value. by their play in the playoffs. Still I don't think they should have traded at TDL for futures. He gotta give your other players and fans hope for the playoffs. Leafs might have been a lot better against Tampa in the first round.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
To date, the strength of the rebuild seems to be amateur scouting, while pro scouting has been relatively weak.

While Marleau, Hainsey have generally been good, whomever is running pro scouting seems to be going with an out of date media guide when it comes to potential players: Plekanec, Moore, Boyle, McElhinney come to mind.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
To date, the strength of the rebuild seems to be amateur scouting, while pro scouting has been relatively weak.

While Marleau, Hainsey have generally been good, whomever is running pro scouting seems to be going with an out of date media guide when it comes to potential players: Plekanec, Moore, Boyle, McElhinney come to mind.

You’re shitting on McElhinney?

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I think he's meh. I mean if in two years you can't find a better dman than Polak then there's a problem. He also hasn't added a top 3 or 4 dman, I know there's Hainsey but the guy is a 36 year old and worked better than expected but you can't expect that to keep lasting. He also hasn't really bolstered the bottom six outside of prospects, hasn't brought in any guy that can be a mainstay because Moore/Plekanec/Boyle are all temporary and not that great to begin with

With that said, he's not the worse either, certain other GMs would've screwed it up bad.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I think he's meh. I mean if in two years you can't find a better dman than Polak then there's a problem. He also hasn't added a top 3 or 4 dman, I know there's Hainsey but the guy is a 36 year old and worked better than expected but you can't expect that to keep lasting. He also hasn't really bolstered the bottom six outside of prospects, hasn't brought in any guy that can be a mainstay because Moore/Plekanec/Boyle are all temporary and not that great to begin with

With that said, he's not the worse either, certain other GMs would've screwed it up bad.

He could, but would you be happy giving up a top prospect and a 1st? Or maybe one of Marner and Nylander? That's what other GMs will want...they know our weakness and will try to exploit us in a trade for a dman...hey, Chiarelli traded Hall for Larsson...you think Lou should do the same? Lou is an intelligent, savvy and sly veteran GM...he is already in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Dubas being the potential GM is some pretty great news.
Lou is a weak link of this management group.
As Nithonel mentioned, the GM has made some very poor decisions.
Plekanec trade
Not getting assets back for JVR/Bozak(both have been invisible in these playoffs)
Zaitsev(maybe)
The drafting has gotten worse since Lou came in(all though Hunter is still finding some solid players).
Should Lou be replaced?

I've read the bolded a few times on this site, and I have to say there seems to be a disconnect with reality. No GM trades their leading goal scorer when their team finishes with 100+ points (or at the TDL was sitting very pretty). Sure the Leafs are not likely winning the cup, but for those players who busted their asses all year, trading away a guy like JVR would be a slap in the face.

It's one thing if you are a team that just barely squeaked in and was in-out all season (ie. St.L/Stasny) but that was not the situation at all here.

I can understand not trading assets for Plekanec, but trading away your leading scorer, never going to happen. I don't care who your GM is.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I've read the bolded a few times on this site, and I have to say there seems to be a disconnect with reality. No GM trades their leading goal scorer when their team finishes with 100+ points (or at the TDL was sitting very pretty). Sure the Leafs are not likely winning the cup, but for those players who busted their asses all year, trading away a guy like JVR would be a slap in the face.

It's one thing if you are a team that just barely squeaked in and was in-out all season (ie. St.L/Stasny) but that was not the situation at all here.

I can understand not trading assets for Plekanec, but trading away your leading scorer, never going to happen. I don't care who your GM is.

You don't have to move him for picks, a trade for an RHD or a C would have been welcome.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
And do another JvR to Luke Schenn trade? No thanks. What if no one was willing to trade quality RHD or C for JvR?
yup no one trades an equivalent d/c for a winger and the people bitching about not adding a quality d/c would in no way want to give up the assets needed to acquire one

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
You don't have to move him for picks, a trade for an RHD or a C would have been welcome.

I can't see this happening.

Obviously a non playoff team is not going to trade for an expiring contract, and I cant see a playoff team trading away a 1C or 2C for a winger on an expiring contract. Same thing goes for a RHD, unless you would be OK settling for a third pairing guy, teams aren't moving top 4 D-men at the TDL for wingers on expiring contracts.

Look what Edmonton had to move for Adam Larson, what do you think you could have gotten for JVR?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Plekanec trade
Not getting assets back for JVR/Bozak(both have been invisible in these playoffs)
Zaitsev(maybe)
The drafting has gotten worse since Lou came in(all though Hunter is still finding some solid players).
Should Lou be replaced?

Uh, yes he is and you should probably go into the witness relocation program, Lou don't mess around... (speaking in a whisper) .... he makes people disappear.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

Yes! Thank you. It's delusional to expect that.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Plekanec trade
Zaitsev(maybe)
Should Lou be replaced?

You shut your mouth when you talk about sweet Lou Lamoreillo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->