Speculation: Is Lou really all that great.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm happy with getting Kapanen and Andersen out of Kessel when we couldn't keep Phil.

You do realize Pridham (the cap genius) is likely doing the negotiations, not our GM right?

Doesn't need that much of an overhaul IMO. But you absolutely don't slot Hainsey beside Zaitsev, that pair has looked like trash together.

Rielly-Dermott
Gardiner-Hainsey
LH Defensive D-Zaitsev

This for next season is what we should expect/hope for and then load up the dump trucks full of money to Doughty's house in the offseason, losing Hainsey and most likely Gardiner in the process.

Rielly-Doughty
Dermott-Liljegren
Borgman/DFD-Zaitsev

Honestly no. The capologist negotiated contracts,????? Really???

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
-Lou demanding all his players who are grown bleeping men to shave there face and cut there hair is embarassing.

Mistakes
-Keeping JVR at the deadline. Look at what NYR got back for Nash. 1st rounder this year and 2nd round prospect from 2016 draft, Ryan Lindgren. I said it was a mistake then and it is proven this. JVR is getting bullied by the Bruins, gets knocked to the ice and cant even make eye contact with them, he goes to the refs and complains. Bruins know he quits when things get rough. Leaf fans have seen this for years....yet management said keep him even with Kapanen and other talent at forward in the system. Sure he has 30 goals but a different type of forward can replace him in different ways aka more complete player and u would not miss him at all.
-Andreas Johnnson. Not knowing what Johnnson was at the NHL before hanging onto JVR was an internal error on them all which lead to keeping JVR potentially. Johnnson is waiting to get unleashed with more opportunities. He is thriving.
-Marleau is over paid. 27 goals, 6 empty netters. 39 years old, when the season starts in the fall. Marleau can literally disappear for 3-4 games at any moment.
-Zaitsev contract maybe.
-Plekanec cost of a 2nd rounder, The prospects sent are a non issue.

JVR traded and Plekanec not acquired. Leafs would have (2) First Round picks, (3) second round picks at the 2018 draft. The options are endless to use that as big parts to acquire a Dman or centerman on the draft floor.
What team was likely to pay the price for Jvr? Just wonderin', you know,perhaps it was put out there but the returns weren't what you think they could've got,specifically for the reasons you don't
like him!

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What team was likely to pay the price for Jvr? Just wonderin', you know,perhaps it was put out there but the returns weren't what you think they could've got,specifically for the reasons you don't
like him!

It was said 3 weeks prior to the TDL JVR is not available. That was public.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
No one has really made a case for why Lou is so great. The Kadri and Rielly contracts are good and the Andersen trade was good but other than that ..? Even our last draft wasn't good, and I know thats on our scouting staff too.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
Should have known Burke called Rielly the best player in his draft year that's Burkie, one of his most outrageous statements he's made. Major disappointment, at 5 million a year, thought he was going to have a breakout season.

? 50 points for 5 mil is a disappointment? He literally did have a breakout season

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
No one has really made a case for why Lou is so great. The Kadri and Rielly contracts are good and the Andersen trade was good but other than that ..? Even our last draft wasn't good, and I know thats on our scouting staff too.

Saying our last draft was bad is premature and a tad ridiculous.

There is no need for a case, the results speak for themselves. We were the 6th best team 2 seasons after being last. We set all kind of records in the last 2 years.

Because a bunch of armchair GM's do not agree with all his moves does not mean the moves are wrong.

Is he perfect? No one is.

Has he brought stability and put us in the right direction.

No question.

Are many people going to be level headed and objective during these emotional times? Probably not.

Last edited:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
How do you know?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Should have known Burke called Rielly the best player in his draft year that's Burkie, one of his most outrageous statements he's made. Major disappointment, at 5 million a year, thought he was going to have a breakout season.
What? You think he should be making less than 5 million? The guy had a terrific, breakthrough season.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
What? You think he should be making less than 5 million? The guy had a terrific, breakthrough season.
Won't argue the value aspect, its there, high scoring offence leads to points for defencemen, doesn't tell the whole story. Are you happy with his performance in the last two games? I'm not! At any price!

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Won't argue the value aspect, its there, high scoring offence leads to points for defencemen, doesn't tell the whole story. Are you happy with his performance in the last two games? I'm not! At any price!
But all his advanced stats were very good.
What I see is you judging everything about him based on 2 games. If we did that about everyone we'd think we had no talent.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
But all his advanced stats were very good.
What I see is you judging everything about him based on 2 games. If we did that about everyone we'd think we had no talent.
Just for the record ,been watching him since he was in junior, was relatively happy the Leafs took him. He came in too young ,but there was upside,namely his skating,learning positional play,leaning about the opposition, etc. Not much of a shot,not physical. Became obvious he would never be a #1.
So, no I am not judging on his last 2 games,but I'm not ignoring them either! He hasn't been good!
Would you rather have Dumda or Trouba right now? I would. Maybe even a couple others from his draft class.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Just for the record ,been watching him since he was in junior, was relatively happy the Leafs took him. He came in too young ,but there was upside,namely his skating,learning positional play,leaning about the opposition, etc. Not much of a shot,not physical. Became obvious he would never be a #1.
So, no I am not judging on his last 2 games,but I'm not ignoring them either! He hasn't been good!
Would you rather have Dumda or Trouba right now? I would. Maybe even a couple others from his draft class.
Neither. Rielly is better. I don't panic after 2 games. Rielly was better than both all year.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Oh please. Look at Rielly's stats this season. The "Trouba is better" you could get away with last year maybe.
I am looking at how they play ,not stats! Stats can be and often are misleading. I think the Leafs need a Trouba or Dumba or other similar type D man more than Reilly.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Not getting anything for JVR will sting a few years from now when we need good cost controlled young players.

So all teams that probably aren't going to win the Cup should trade all their UFAs by TDL? Each team has about 3 upcoming UFAs, so you are saying about 75 UFAs should be traded to the 6 teams that have a shot at the Cup.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
He got lucky that Reilly and Kadri just came off horrible seasons and got them cheap. The difference with Zaitsev was he wasn’t spectacular last year, got paid a ton under the assumption that he’ll get better, but has shown zero signs of improvement.
Kadri wasn't horrible at all, he just had a lower than usual shooting %. I was still very surprised Kadri signed that deal.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I am looking at how they play ,not stats! Stats can be and often are misleading. I think the Leafs need a Trouba or Dumba or other similar type D man more than Reilly.
You've been on the main board too much. Rielly is a #1 D. What has Trouba done to show he is better?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
So all teams that probably aren't going to win the Cup should trade all their UFAs by TDL? Each team has about 3 upcoming UFAs, so you are saying about 75 UFAs should be traded to the 6 teams that have a shot at the Cup.

I get your point. But conversely, are we going to be able to fill roster weaknesses through UFA acquisitions? If you think its better to hang on soon-to-be vets like JVR (Bozak, etc.) that is fine, but you can't have it both ways. Its (UFA acquisitions) either a good method, or it isn't. If it isn't good for other teams, then it isn't magically going to be good for us.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Trouba has shown his fans are better at pretending that he is better then Rielly.
It seems like players on other teams never have to prove they are better. Did you know Sebastien Aho is better than Marner? He's never had as good a season, but he's better...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->