Speculation: Is Lou really all that great.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dubas being the potential GM is some pretty great news.
Lou is a weak link of this management group.
As Nithonel mentioned, the GM has made some very poor decisions.
Plekanec trade
Not getting assets back for JVR/Bozak(both have been invisible in these playoffs)
Zaitsev(maybe)
The drafting has gotten worse since Lou came in(all though Hunter is still finding some solid players).
Should Lou be replaced?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Gave big cap space to Marleau

I think Marleau was probably a get of Babcocks. I am pretty confident many of the roster players are on the team because Babcock. Now, I think Babcock should have 0 to do with the roster other than selecting of who is available to him to play that day. That is because he isn't very good at selecting rosters as you can see in this series. We have upgrades on the sidelines...

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
I wouldn't mind if he is replaced. He has not done much by trading to strengthen the team and his Marleau contract is out there for a question.

He did a nice job getting rid of Phaneuf but I can also understand how that team made it to EC finals with him. I am not saying that he should be trading for a lot of players or anything but our past TDL deals left me to desire for more than just Plekanec for a 2nd.

Failing to get rid of Bozak and JVR is hurting this team both now and for the future.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I think Marleau was probably a get of Babcocks. I am pretty confident many of the roster players are on the team because Babcock. Now, I think Babcock should have 0 to do with the roster other than selecting of who is available to him to play that day. That is because he isn't very good at selecting rosters as you can see in this series. We have upgrades on the sidelines...
Absolutely 100% true. So let me rephrase.... Allowed Mike Babcock to force his hand into giving big cap space to Marleau.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Not getting anything for JVR will sting a few years from now when we need good cost controlled young players.

Reactions: TMLS

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Not getting anything for JVR will sting a few years from now when we need good cost controlled young players.

You'll remember though, the idea was "win-now", and echoed by so many on this board. The kids were ready. Give cap space to Marleau when we need it to sign our future core, keep our vets as "own rentals"rather than trade them.... this all seemed so shrewd (and oh so self-satisfying at the same time) only 3 days ago... Well, guess what? Now we are renters.....
The "plan" got thrown out last off-season with the Marleau signing, and then at the deadline -- because we got greedy. Most fans were "trusting the process", but Mike got impatient.

Reactions: Kurtz

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Questionable moves? Certainly, but what GM doesn't have that distinction on their resume? Lou has also stabilized a franchise that was a horror show and turned it around to being one that many envy. If it is decided that Lou's time is up, I'll thank him for having helped move this franchise from being a comedy of errors to one that is well structured/professional/respected and has a promising future. That's a pretty good legacy.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Lou gets the player or gets rid of the player Babs wants or dislikes. Simple as that

I am ok with Lou. He hasn't made a drastic move to improve this team but he hasn't given up anybody good either

We are losing in playoffs? I'll take that problem over not making the playoffs, thank you

Reactions: NiftyMits

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
He'll be replaced sooner than later. Not because of his competence but because of his age.

The team is light years better than 3 years ago. So, he's done very well.

Even though this post season will be an epic disaster, the trend is still upwards for this team.

The good thing about this 4-game sweep will be that they'll clearly see what they need to address in the off season.

As much as this looks like a step backward, it's actually a step forward.

Last edited:

Tonka

OFFSIDE
Apr 8, 2007
Signed Freddy for 5 years before even playing a single Leafs game, that was a major gamble of a move.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
-Lou demanding all his players who are grown bleeping men to shave there face and cut there hair is embarassing.

Mistakes
-Keeping JVR at the deadline. Look at what NYR got back for Nash. 1st rounder this year and 2nd round prospect from 2016 draft, Ryan Lindgren. I said it was a mistake then and it is proven this. JVR is getting bullied by the Bruins, gets knocked to the ice and cant even make eye contact with them, he goes to the refs and complains. Bruins know he quits when things get rough. Leaf fans have seen this for years....yet management said keep him even with Kapanen and other talent at forward in the system. Sure he has 30 goals but a different type of forward can replace him in different ways aka more complete player and u would not miss him at all.
-Andreas Johnnson. Not knowing what Johnnson was at the NHL before hanging onto JVR was an internal error on them all which lead to keeping JVR potentially. Johnnson is waiting to get unleashed with more opportunities. He is thriving.
-Marleau is over paid. 27 goals, 6 empty netters. 39 years old, when the season starts in the fall. Marleau can literally disappear for 3-4 games at any moment.
-Zaitsev contract maybe.
-Plekanec cost of a 2nd rounder, The prospects sent are a non issue.

JVR traded and Plekanec not acquired. Leafs would have (2) First Round picks, (3) second round picks at the 2018 draft. The options are endless to use that as big parts to acquire a Dman or centerman on the draft floor.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I can't wait to see the threads after game 3, win or lose the extreme is always entertaining with this fan base.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I've always thought every player from that 2013 disaster needed to be purged from the roster, Bozak, Komarov and yes even JVR and Kadri.

It's even showing this series, Bozak utterly useless, JVR typical disappearing act, Kadri a repeat offender who can't control his emotions in big games and Komarov...ugh.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Yep. Unreal that they didn't give Johnsson (2nd half) & Leivo (1st half) extended looks (not 1 game then bench then 1 game a couple weeks later) to see if they could manage without JVR.
You'll remember though, the idea was "win-now", and echoed by so many on this board. The kids were ready. Give cap space to Marleau when we need it to sign our future core, keep our vets as "own rentals"rather than trade them.... this all seemed so shrewd (and oh so self-satisfying at the same time) only 3 days ago... Well, guess what? Now we are renters.....
The "plan" got thrown out last off-season with the Marleau signing, and then at the deadline -- because we got greedy. Most fans were "trusting the process", but Mike got impatient.
I was definitely part of the trade UFAs side. It was clear we had the worst path to the Cup imaginable, even if you're 6th place if you have to face 2 better teams in the 1st and 2nd round it meant squat. Personally I like the Marleau signing, but it should've had him saddled with Nylander as a centre this season, not our vet C Kadri that doesn't need experience on his line. And Nylander definitely should've been groomed to be a C this season, IMO it was clear that next season would be the time to start going for it, we should've had another developing year in making next year's team as good as possible and taking everything that happens in the playoffs this year as gravy. Something like this should've been the roster at the start of the season and rolled with so they develop together and become dominant going into next season:

Leivo-Matthews-Marner
Marleau-Nylander-Kapanen
Hyman-Kadri-Brown
Martin-Fehr-Komarov
Marleau potted nearly 30 goals...he wasn’t overpaid this year
27 goals and 47 points isn't worth 6 mil. But honestly the cap hit isn't what's bad about his contract, it's the extra year. And that he takes up a wing spot from a kid in the wings. Hopefully Dubas can flip him after next season, we'll definitely need to open up a spot by then if not sooner.
Signed Freddy for 5 years before even playing a single Leafs game, that was a major gamble of a move.
Honestly it wasn't, they apparently scouted the living shit out of Andersen, and even if he's league average it's a contract we don't have to be worried about.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
-Lou demanding all his players who are grown bleeping men to shave there face and cut there hair is embarassing.

Mistakes
-Keeping JVR at the deadline. Look at what NYR got back for Nash. 1st rounder this year and 2nd round prospect from 2016 draft, Ryan Lindgren. I said it was a mistake then and it is proven this. JVR is getting bullied by the Bruins, gets knocked to the ice and cant even make eye contact with them, he goes to the refs and complains. Bruins know he quits when things get rough. Leaf fans have seen this for years....yet management said keep him even with Kapanen and other talent at forward in the system. Sure he has 30 goals but a different type of forward can replace him in different ways aka more complete player and u would not miss him at all.
-Andreas Johnnson. Not knowing what Johnnson was at the NHL before hanging onto JVR was an internal error on them all which lead to keeping JVR potentially. Johnnson is waiting to get unleashed with more opportunities. He is thriving.
-Marleau is over paid. 27 goals, 6 empty netters. 39 years old, when the season starts in the fall. Marleau can literally disappear for 3-4 games at any moment.
-Zaitsev contract maybe.
-Plekanec cost of a 2nd rounder, The prospects sent are a non issue.

JVR traded and Plekanec not acquired. Leafs would have (2) First Round picks, (3) second round picks at the 2018 draft. The options are endless to use that as big parts to acquire a Dman or centerman on the draft floor.

I think you're over reacting personally. Its 0-2 , its doable. Worst case scenario, say we get swept what would of rather had, The pick for JVR and the second we gave up? Or seeing first hand what is wrong and fixing it? Keep in mind, Shanny has PROVEN he can fix shit. I know what I'm picking

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think you're over reacting personally. Its 0-2 , its doable. Worst case scenario, say we get swept what would of rather had, The pick for JVR and the second we gave up? Or seeing first hand what is wrong and fixing it? Keep in mind, Shanny has PROVEN he can fix ****. I know what I'm picking
We would be in the playoffs facing Bruins with or without JvR and Bozak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->