Is Kevin Lowe the worst defenseman in the HHoF?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yes. Pavel Datsyuk.

And let’s be honest Hossa wasn’t a defensive winger for the first 10 years or so of his career.

Datsyuk wasn't a winger, I guess my underlining the word didn't work.

You are wrong about the first 10 years of his career, Hossa received notable Selke votes 3 times, finishing 12, 14, 14, and very minor votes 3 other years (not enough to show he was anything special those years, but at least to show he was some kind of plus defensively).

Also, unlike offense, which is easily measured by goals and assists stats, it takes time to build a defensive reputation and get recognized. Patrice Bergeron didn't receive any Selke votes until his 6th season, Datsyuk his 5th season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
So was Ziggy Palffy that year.

What's the source on this? I see Palffy with a total of 2 Selke votes for his entire career, both coming in his age 28 season. This is also why I separated notable votes/finishes from seasons like this in my above post.

EDIT: I see what you meant, that year as in 00-01, not as in his age 22 year.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Hossa getting a couple Selke votes isn’t really reflective of being the best defensive winger in the early 00s.

Probably not, but it takes years for the voters to really understand and appreciate how skillful someone is defensively, if they ever do. It's a very narrative driven award.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
In my estimation it would be.

Are you even reading the posts? I specifically mentioned a better defensive winger, Lehtinen, and how offensively he wasn’t close to Hossa, and then said the opposite about better offensive players. I made it extremely clear what I meant by two-way player.

This will be my last post on the subject, I feel I’ve made my point, and you’re either intentionally trolling, not reading the posts, or unable to comprehend what’s in them, either way I’m done.

Reactions: MXD and Voight

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Phil Housley, Dave Andreychuk, Guy Carbonneau, and Kevin Lowe have 1 2nd Team AS selection between them. As you say, who on earth was pushing for these guys to get into the HHOF?

And yeah, it does make you long for the days when Clark Gillies - a 2x First Team All-Star - was easily the worst modern guy in there.

Gillies is still probably the worst modern guy in there to be fair

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

KnobbyGlamorousGeese-max-1mb.gif

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He was the epitome of borderline for me, and I much preferred that he was on the outside than the inside.

And frankly - I just question why after 20 years of eligibility these guys are finally getting in. If they couldn't get inducted in 2002 (for instance), how has their case improved in the 18 years since to make them worthy now?

Agree on Wilson. As a Hawks fan its cool that hes in but I never lobbied on here or anywhere for him to get inducted.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Marian Hossa's induction is being questioned in a Hall of Fame that has enshrined fellow wingers Dick Duff, Glenn Anderson, Dino Ciccarelli, Dave Andreychuk, and Cam Neely inside the last 15 years?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I would avoid comparing Lowe to Housley. The criterias on which they are judged are so different they might as well have played a different position.

I guess if Lowe is in you have to get the Derian Hatcher's of the world in as well. Under current standards, I'm fine with it.

Will Brent Seabrook get in?

Seabrook is who I thought of too as a contemporary example of a "contextual" great who was a lesser piece on a multi championship team. Even if he wasn't an individually outstanding player, there's something to be recognized as a fixture on those legendary teams.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
I think this is the best example of an undeserving player getting into the Hockey Hall of Fame. He seems to be in because of nepotism and it is disgusting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad