Is Kate Madigan in line for the GM role, with Fitzgerald now President of Hockey Ops?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Kate Madigan has been with the team for some time now and has grown tremendously under Tom Fitzgerald.

In fact, many likely didnt know, Kate ran hockey ops before today! The Devils had no President of Hockey Ops and thus she was in charge of such a role along with the help of Marty and Fitz

With Fitz taking a step up to President of Hockey Ops (and likely continuing to be the main decision-maker):

would it not be the perfect opportunity to make Kate Madigan the first female GM in hockey history?! She can ease her way into the role with Fitz still by her side and it could be a major step forward in the progression of hockey standards changing

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Personally I don't give two shits who runs the team as long as we win and that they aren't a complete scumbag off the ice or hide awful shit like Chicago did.
I assume Fitz would still run the team (like Shanahan in Toronto even though he stinks) but Kate would have the title of GM and make the appearances and quotes

The perfect starting position for the first female GM in hockey IMO!

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
I assume Fitz would still run the team (like Shanahan in Toronto even though he stinks) but Kate would have the title of GM and make the appearances and quotes

The perfect starting position for the first female GM in hockey IMO!

Fitz just got extended as GM so I don't see it happening anytime soon. Forget about what gender she is but she's only what? 30/31? I don't think any other GM in the league is even remotely that young? I'm sure she'll get her shot eventually whether it's here or elsewhere.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
If she does a good job, then great for her! I just think it's adding a title go Fitz's resume though. Dreger's Tweet said "in addition to GM"
Thats true but if Fitz will make the calls anyhow, why not run a new GM?

For a team whos group-think mindset is widely known, itd be odd to have one person running both positions

Toronto and a few other teams have A President make the calls for a lesser-GM

Fitz just got extended as GM so I don't see it happening anytime soon. Forget about what gender she is but she's only what? 30/31? I don't think any other GM in the league is even remotely that young? I'm sure she'll get her shot eventually whether it's here or elsewhere.
Fitz was extended; his contract doesnt mean he has to stay GM! This has happened a few times throughout the league, where a GM is extended and promoted but stays GM until end of the season

Its possible Fitz stays GM as well longterm though, like you say.

Its also possible Marty could take the GM role

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Thats true but if Fitz will make the calls anyhow, why not run a new GM?

For a team whos group-think mindset is widely known, itd be odd to have one person running both positions

Toronto and a few other teams have A President make the calls for a lesser-GM

Fitz was extended; his contract doesnt mean he has to stay GM! This has happened a few times throughout the league, where a GM is extended and promoted but stays GM until end of the season

Its possible Fitz stays GM as well longterm though, like you say.

Its also possible Marty could take the GM role

I think she still has a few years left before she gets a shot at it here or somewhere else. I just looked at the ages of the gms in the league, Dubas at 38 in Pittsburgh is the youngest GM and only one in his 30s. The vast majority are 50+.

She's still young, she'll get there eventually if it's something she wants to do.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I think she still has a few years left before she gets a shot at it here or somewhere else. I just looked at the ages of the gms in the league, Dubas at 38 in Pittsburgh is the youngest GM and only one in his 30s. The vast majority are 50+.

She's still young, she'll get there eventually if it's something she wants to do.
Very true!

But if shes already ran hockey ops at 29-30, taking a step 'down' to be the first women GM doesnt have to mean an increase in duties; in fact, itd do great if she ended up being a more outgoing and responsive GM who shows up more than a few times a season

Perhaps itd be more of a mouthpiece position but for her growth it could be awesome; and shed never truly be making the decisions with Fitz around anyhow, but she could have slightly more say if shes stellar

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
The meaning of Hockey Ops seems to be pretty fluid and different organizations seem to have different priorities. The President of Hockey Ops is higher than the GM, but some Presidents are more hands-on. Some only manage the business side, some are more ideas guys who set the long-term plan and trust the GM to execute, some act as a buffer between ownership and the GM. Some Presidents seem to give their GM a lot more autonomy and just maintain veto power.

It's interesting with how our ownership works, we've seen reports from big guys like Dreger talking about how ownership insists on this unusual pipeline of information. We know Shero clashed with ownership over how much autonomy he had. We all know Lou was fired (politely), but even if he wasn't I'm sure he would have left on his own rather than dealing with this. And it's fascinating to see how NFL media is talking about Harris instituting this system with the Commanders, it totally flies in the face of traditional ownership. Giving minority partners a say in operations, bringing in executives from other sports to conduct their searches. All the NFL talking heads seem to think he's insane. But Fitz has figured out how to navigate this system and he clearly has found success working in this unusual framework. If that's the case, then having Madigan take on the day-to-day roster decisions and cap management may be helpful as Fitzgerald's job veers more and more towards placating ownership and the business side of things.

Either way, I expect Madigan will be getting a lot of interviews for vacant GM positions this Spring/Summer. It's becoming more fashionable for owners in all sports to look for younger GMs with fresh new ideas. Madigan has a pretty good reputation and her age makes her a really strong candidate for a long-term position. Promoting her to GM might be the only way to retain her.

We'll probably be losing a fair amount of executives over the next few years, that's just how it works when you're a successful franchise. Marty will probably be offered interviews too, though I don't know if he's interested in positions with other teams or if he only wants to work in NJ. Dennehy and Castron might get some GM buzz as well.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The meaning of Hockey Ops seems to be pretty fluid and different organizations seem to have different priorities. The President of Hockey Ops is higher than the GM, but some Presidents are more hands-on. Some only manage the business side, some are more ideas guys who set the long-term plan and trust the GM to execute, some act as a buffer between ownership and the GM. Some Presidents seem to give their GM a lot more autonomy and just maintain veto power.

It's interesting with how our ownership works, we've seen reports from big guys like Dreger talking about how ownership insists on this unusual pipeline of information. We know Shero clashed with ownership over how much autonomy he had. We all know Lou was fired (politely), but even if he wasn't I'm sure he would have left on his own rather than dealing with this. And it's fascinating to see how NFL media is talking about Harris instituting this system with the Commanders, it totally flies in the face of traditional ownership. Giving minority partners a say in operations, bringing in executives from other sports to conduct their searches. All the NFL talking heads seem to think he's insane. But Fitz has figured out how to navigate this system and he clearly has found success working in this unusual framework. If that's the case, then having Madigan take on the day-to-day roster decisions and cap management may be helpful as Fitzgerald's job veers more and more towards placating ownership and the business side of things.

Either way, I expect Madigan will be getting a lot of interviews for vacant GM positions this Spring/Summer. It's becoming more fashionable for owners in all sports to look for younger GMs with fresh new ideas. Madigan has a pretty good reputation and her age makes her a really strong candidate for a long-term position. Promoting her to GM might be the only way to retain her.

We'll probably be losing a fair amount of executives over the next few years, that's just how it works when you're a successful franchise. Marty will probably be offered interviews too, though I don't know if he's interested in positions with other teams or if he only wants to work in NJ. Dennehy and Castron might get some GM buzz as well.
I have some larger clients that operate in a similar fashion. It's unwieldy and cumbersome and slower but it ultimately leads to the same place. Also, it seems to me that Blitzer is the guy handling Devils stuff the past year or so and Harris is more involved with other teams. Maybe that's coincidence or maybe by design.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe in a couple of years Fitz hands it over to Kate the way Sakic did to MacFarland after they won the cup or McPhee to McCrimmon some time ago in Vegas, where they retain the president of hockey ops title, but pass the GM role over to their assistants.

Reactions: Guadana

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I have some larger clients that operate in a similar fashion. It's unwieldy and cumbersome and slower but it ultimately leads to the same place. Also, it seems to me that Blitzer is the guy handling Devils stuff the past year or so and Harris is more involved with other teams. Maybe that's coincidence or maybe by design.
I’m now also getting the feeling Blitzer is more or less the “face” of ownership for us, as he was present for the Sarge ceremony the other night and now he’s gonna be on hand for the press conference later today on behalf of representation of ownership.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Whatever keeps Marty far away from the GM position or potential next GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad