Is Karlsson having a Norris type of season?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Seeing as he is 1 point behind Letang for the scoring lead, is his play worthy of the award?

When he won it he outscored Campbell by 20 points and was clearly the most exciting Dman in the league.

Seeing as it's a pretty crowded pack at the top is anybody really standing out?

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Last few months, his play has been worthy of the Norris, but seeing as they judge on the full season, no.

I'm optimistic for next year. I think Cameron really knows how to use him well.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
I don't think so. He started inconsistently, although on the other hand it's better to finish strong than to tail off. Last season he won the defence man scoring title by a fair margin and didn't get a nomination. My sense of it is that the team's success plays a role in affecting how the media votes. The year Karlsson won was also a year we surprised everyone by making it to the playoffs (on his and Spezza's backs). Last season he had a statistically comparable year offensively (albeit he was well in the minus side) but the team disappointed. If we can sneak into the playoffs and his play keeps up then I think he will get a nomination.

I think Weber is a strong candidate because the Preds have been such a surprise this season. Plus I imagine the media feels like they owe him one given his reputation. But perhaps Josi's success will work against him. Letang, PK, and Burns are in the running too. Giordano would be up there if he hadn't been injured.

bornNraised Sens

Apr 8, 2014
Keeps playing like this for rest of season and maybe he gets a finalist spot, but Letang and Weber should be there, have been good to excellent since the start of the year. The third spot should have been Gio's but now could be a mix of several guys with Doughty probably getting a good look.

It's funny though on the main boards, the biggest point for Subban was that he's been really good for last 30 games, but when same is said for Karlsson it gets dismissed even though he's been better for the last 41 games i think it is.

Either way probably right now looking like
Weber/Letang
Doughty/Karlsson/Subban/Josi

Sportsnet and CBC love to pimp out Subban so wouldn't be surprised he gets some unearned votes over others who have played better.

Last part, has anyone every watched a american stream of a sense game? Seems like every time i do they just love Karlsson and how he plays the game.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
He might squeeze into a nomination if the Sens make the playoffs, but I think Weber is likely ahead.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
If he continues to put up points and plays well, and we sneak into the playoffs, then as being a former Norris winner, it should create a good impression upon the media who vote.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Even with his slow start he's worthy of a nomination. He's at the top of the list in D scoring and his defensive play has been excellent since Cameron has took over. At this point in time there are better choices for the Norris, but he still has a shot.

If he continues his near PPG stretch of play until the end of the season, and the Sens make the playoffs, I could see him winning the Norris again, deservedly so. Other than that he probably gets passed on for a guy like Weber, who is long overdue for a win.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
NO ,,, but Methot should be since he owes much of his success to Methot covering his ass all the time. :laugh:

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
If he leads the pack by 10+ points and the Sens make the playoffs I think he has a real case for it.

Everyone is talking about PK being right up there and he was significantly worse to start the season.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Definitely not. But he's finally playing like a Norris like defensemen.

If he can play like this for an entire year -- then definitely he will be a consideration for the Norris. I think this year he was a bit too late to the party.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The way I see it is like this:

First 30 games: He was average at best, below average even.

Last 30 games: He's been up and away the best defender in the league, absolute monster.

Therefore you'll see some people say his poor start will not allow him to win the Norris while others will, with good reason, claim his last 30 games, and how dominant he has been relative to ever else, has brought him back into conversation.

IMO, it depends on last 15 games. If he plays like he did past 30 he'll get nomination for sure and maybe win if Sens make playoffs.

Remember that Perry won his hart and whatnot after monster second half where he was ii for first half.

Just cause Karlsson had slow start you still can't discredit the ridiculous tear he's been on lately. Look at my post in mainboard how he's been relative to other top defenders, at a tier of his own.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
There's been a bit of a downturn since the game where he ended up playing 33 minutes. May need to get his ice time down again.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
He will win the Norris next year. I would give better then 50/50 odds. This year he will be 2nd,3rd or 4th.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Karlsson plays in a Canadian market so his early season struggles are hardly unnoticed.

The benefit of a guy like Weber playing in Nashville is that no one ever points out his mistakes or bad games.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Karlsson plays in a Canadian market so his early season struggles are hardly unnoticed.

The benefit of a guy like Weber playing in Nashville is that no one ever points out his mistakes or bad games.

We just need to have Glenn Healey calling Sens-Leafs games. Then Karlsson is Bobby Orr mixed with Wayne Gretzky on steroids and meth... Even if he is just trolling the Leafs.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
no, unfortunately..just too much of an average start to the season which put a dent in any chance he might have had.

He's been great for us the past 30-35 games though

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
No. Too inconsistent this year and started off very slow. However I still say he is the best offensive defensemen overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad