McCabe abandons the net on the PK .. Is Kampf covering the net appropriately here ?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Jake DeBrusk (3) PPG
A: B. Marchand (4), C. Coyle (1)

Is Kampf playing this well ?

3 Leafs entirely along the wall. And what miracle does Marchand get a perfect pass from this scrum.

1714047257679.png

Kampf doing nothing, in no man's land.
12 feet from an open Bruins player

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Why does McCabe (RD) leave the front of the net (his job, his man) and get nothing done ?

THE RIGHT D COVERS THE FRONT OF THE NET when puck is in the Left corner.

If McCabe tries to get the puck, the second he doesnt he needs to BE IN FRONT OF THE NET - ASAP.

1714047488806.png

Here's the shot on net.

1714047644843.png

Kampf miles away from DeBrusk.
Easy rebound, goal.

I don't think ive seen a Leaf player score like this in a LONG TIME. Nobody guarding them in front of the net on the man advantage.

Marner standing there, on the boards, doing nothing.

1714047860784.png

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The answer is maybe and everyone saying otherwise doesn't know for sure but is guessing.

I think a few things were done wrong, but here is my opinion, not sure anyone knows the system 100%, and most will just reference the system they ran when they played PeeWee 40 years ago.

They don't have strict zones they need to be in, so McCabe in the corner is likely fine.

I think Kampf positionally is probably right, but he has to address the danger of Debrusk as well.

I have a bigger issue with everyone on the boards being on the offensive side of the puck, no one was between the players and the net, which led to Marchand being able to come out and essentially create a mini 2 on 1.

I actually think this is more on McCabe and Marner than Kampf, Edmundson was first in and I think he was fine.

This is sad hockey.

Keefe needs to be fired.

Super sad, a defensive breakdown happened... first time in the history of hockey.

He also doesn't run the PK.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
I have a bigger issue with everyone on the boards being on the offensive side of the puck, no one was between the players and the net,
peewee 101.

not sure anyone knows the system 100%
including the players.

NOT TO MENTION, the system RELIABLY FAILS. We have a terrible PK this year specifically.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Kampf is fine, the only one on the shift who is.

Marner and McCabe are on the wrong side of the puck, Ed just gets beat

Reactions: socko and arso40

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
This goal doesnt happen if McCabe stays in front of the net (The Right D's job).

ultimately the man he left scores, from exactly where he is standing. That man scored unchallenged.

He left the front of the net and didn't accomplish anything.

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Loving how every thought becomes a new thread.

This is at least discussing something.

if you just want to rant:
Marner sucks

Nylander is faking it

1714048692017.png

Marner.
Just standing still.

and Marchand just beats him TERRIBLY.

Reactions: arso40

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
There is no system that allows the Right D on a PK to be on the left wall. Standing still

1714048880294.png

McCabe is waaaaaaaay out of position. His D instinct should tell him that.

In no system is is smart for the D in front of the net to leave the front and skate over to the left corner and stand beside your Left D.

Ridiculous.

Reactions: arso40

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
Marner standing on the wrong side of Marchand watching the puck battle and than just watches as Marchand goes to the net, just lazy
The other weird part is how does the puck come out so cleanly to him.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Typically yes, but this particular play he is literally standing right next to Marchand, and basically just watches him get the puck and go to the net. If he engaged him ever so slightly, he doesn’t the puck clean.
this is what all players do when there is a board battle with the hopes to pounce on it when chipped forward,
The Leafs outnumbered the B's, and should have won the puck, but, they didnt do their job.
This was a standard and normal position.
If you want to diss on Marner, make it for the lazy backhanded passes that get intercepted on the PP and in the O-zone.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
IMO there are constantly too many 3 on 2s and 2 on 1s down low.
Always seems to be an opposing guy open. I have never seen it as bad as I have this season.

Need to have more netfront coverage.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
It's called a "swarm" defense.

Something similar happened last year in the playoffs when Giordano left the front of the net. Stamkos peeled off the wall and went to the weak side. Nylander was the forward in Kampf's place and just remained in the passing lane hoping the Leafs would win the puck battle so he could fly the zone.

Instead Tampa won it and fed it to Stamkos for the easy goal.

The Leafs used to play this system under Carlyle a lot. The problem is it leaves the weak side exposed. If the puck squirts out to the unprotected player they have a good chance to bury it.

It's an aggressive form of defense.

I'm not a big fan of it myself. Someone should remain in front of the net at all times. Protecting the house is the number one job of a defenseman.

The Leafs are too busy looking to score goals than prevent them to worry about that though.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
... on the PK ?

You need to maintain the box shape.

They shouldn't be doing it on the pk, no.

The Leafs usually play a wedge+1 penalty kill. Marner is the +1. He flags across the ice pursuing the puck looking to knock the pass out of the air and go on a breakaway.

The fancy term for it is powerkill.

Everything the Leafs do under Keefe is designed to maximize offense. That's why you see them playing such aggressive penalty kills and seeing things like this. The result is a high octane game at both ends of the rink.

There's no difference between losing 2-1 or 6-4 I guess.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
3 on 3 puck battle and we gave their 2 guys the inside so they were able to just easily walk the puck out when it got loose. Our PK strategy is to hound the puck and if it end up in this situation that isn't a bad move but Marner is just standing along the boards giving Marchand the inside and not even helping with the puck battle. Edmundson did his job and was pretty much on top of his guy. McCabe had the right idea and did the right thig but like Marner he was just along the boards. So one of Marner or McCabe if they aren't gonna dig for the puck at least don't give up a lane to the inside so Marchand can just walk in like that and get a good shot off. Get Dewar back on the top PK unit with Kampf since it was starting to look like they were starting to figure it out and put Marner on the 2nd unit with Jarnkrok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad