Is Kadri redundant on the Leafs?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It’s a reasonable question. I would have posed it more like: Would the Leafs be better served replacing Kadri’s talent at C with equal talent at D? Or something like that. OP is just saying the Leafs are Center heavy.
Of course if the guys in front of Kadri are injury-prone, I guess it makes sense to have the insurance. But if you’re assuming injury anyhow, that’s not a good omen.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
It’s a reasonable question. I would have posed it more like: Would the Leafs be better served replacing Kadri’s talent at C with equal talent at D? Or something like that. OP is just saying the Leafs are Center heavy.
Of course if the guys in front of Kadri are injury-prone, I guess it makes sense to have the insurance. But if you’re assuming injury anyhow, that’s not a good omen.

Center heavy is a very good thing and a "problem" 26ish other teams would love to have.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
He’s still decent value and a solid 3rd line C.

People are upset he’s not getting the points he used to, but if he’s playing 3rd line minutes with limited PP time he’s not going to. People never seem to factor in the importance of minutes and PP time in point production.

That said, he should get more time and points with Matthews out.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
So Kadri is a 1C now? Okay, enough of HFBoards for me for today.

Kadri isn’t a 1C in terms of “who could be the 1C on a Cup team” - there are mayyyybe 15 of them, unless you’re just insanely good at every other position. But he’s a top 31 center in the NHL.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Kadri is the best contract on the team.

He's absolutely essential to giving the Leafs the depth they need to compete in the playoffs.

Any talk otherwise is madman talk.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Okay keep ignoring my point. If the Leafs are offered a guy like Pesce you really think they take Kadri on their 3rd line over a 6'3 RHD that can be Riellys partner long term? Also the fact that you're comparing Kadri to Hall is ridiculous. Even before winning the hart, Hall was a stud that hit 80 points before. Kadri's hit his ceiling. Theres no risk in trading him for a proven top 4 dman other than injuries.

Yes because Kadri >>> Pesce.

It's a crazy concept, but typically teams with better players win more games.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Center heavy is a very good thing and a "problem" 26ish other teams would love to have.
Absolutely. But in a salary-capped league, is that the best allocation? Anyhow its a truly theoretical question and inconsequential, really. Just playing the devils advocate here, really.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Absolutely. But in a salary-capped league, is that the best allocation? Anyhow its a truly theoretical question and inconsequential, really. Just playing the devils advocate here, really.
Thats what I was trying to say. Wouldn't it be better to have a D of his value? Even with Tavares + Matthews they still have a top 5 centre depth.

Reactions: egelband

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
well he obviously didn't hit 30 last year either, he had a 20 game stretch with only 1 goal. safe to write him off this year too.
Did you not read my post at all? You must be delusional. I clearly said they could be better if they used their excess talent at centre to shore up the D. But that was until I realized Kadri was a top flight centre to Leaf fans.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Did you not read my post at all? You must be delusional. I clearly said they could be better if they used their excess talent at centre to shore up the D. But that was until I realized Kadri was a top flight centre to Leaf fans.

Yeah because the team that’s currently 10th in goals against per game, 11th in shots against per game, and has the 8th best penalty kill really needs to trade away from their already depleted centre depth to “shore up” their defence with at best a #3 guy.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
The guy they actually need to worry about is Zaitsev for 6 more years at 4.5mil, not Kadri who has amazing value.

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
He's on a great contract and he produces. Imo he's invaluable to a team in a cap crunch like the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->