Is Josh Gorges the next captain of the Habs

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Yeah but Gorges is also a huge whiner and he's not super smart.

That's pretty unfair. Whining =/= talking to the media. Gorges doesn't dive, and he doesn't run to the refs constantly - during the lockout he gave interviews for a cause he was convicted in, during the season he gives interviews because the rest of the team is too afraid and ***** to talk to the press after bad game. That's the value Gorges brings to the table, he takes on all the heat of the press (and now, apparently, the fans) and away from the rest of the team.

That's leadership and accountability, you see some people just assume that role naturally and Gorges does it. He's not the ideal captain and we don't see the lockerroom or how Gionta does it but I can see Gorges being a natural leader type.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That's pretty unfair. Whining =/= talking to the media. Gorges doesn't dive, and he doesn't run to the refs constantly - during the lockout he gave interviews for a cause he was convicted in, during the season he gives interviews because the rest of the team is too afraid and ***** to talk to the press after bad game. That's the value Gorges brings to the table, he takes on all the heat of the press (and now, apparently, the fans) and away from the rest of the team.

That's leadership and accountability, you see some people just assume that role naturally and Gorges does it. He's not the ideal captain and we don't see the lockerroom or how Gionta does it but I can see Gorges being a natural leader type.

The way he acted after the leafs game completely sold me off. A captain cannot act like that. Ever heard Gros Bill call out one of his young teammate like he did on P.K.?
Not captain material.
It's a shame we don't have a Landeskog type leader.

aaa

Jan 17, 2013
The team is 13-4-3 and you guys are talking about a lame-duck captain?

Yikes.

Maybe he does more than you know.

The veteran core surrounding him (Gill, Spacek, Gomez, Cole, Cammalieri) when he was named captain are all gone. The team has been moving in a new direction for a while now so it seems like a valid assumption that a new core leadership will emerge.

He could still be the real leader of the team anything's possible but a lot evidence points to a shift in team leadership the same as when Koivu lost Rivet and Souray.

Last edited:

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
But... but... Gorges provided a cold but fair analysis of the Subban’s contract situation... off with his head! :sarcasm:

Just for the record: Gorges is a leader. Right now, he would be my first choice as Gionta’s replacement... in July 2015.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
For next captain, I'm divided between these two options:

1. Pleks. Yes, he's our best all-around skater. He's a veteran who has lead this team offensively for a long time now. A life-long Hab to boot.

2. Markov. Another life-long Hab. Also a core guy for us, at least for another year or two. With Markov, my thinking is he'd be a good placeholder of the Captaincy until Galchenyuk is ready.

Keep in mind that if you take the C away from a guy that's not leaving the team (either due to trade, free agency, or retirement), this can cause a major media hoopla and be a distraction for the team. So choose wisely.

As for Gorges, I think he's actually too opinionated to be the Captain. Your team's captain should be someone that brings the full team together, not someone who the locker-room is probably a bit divided over.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
The veteran core surrounding him (Gill, Spacek, Gomez, Cole, Cammalieri) when he was named captain are all gone. The team has been moving in a new direction for a while now so it seems like a valid assumption that a new core leadership will emerge.

He could still be the real leader of the team anything's possible but a lot evidence points to a shift in team leadership the same as when Koivu lost Rivet and Souray.

Funny how you exclude Gorges out of that group of leaders as if he wasnt apart of it.

By your logic, Gorges should be gone as well, as he belongs to the "old" regime of leaders

aaa

Jan 17, 2013
Funny how you exclude Gorges out of that group of leaders as if he wasnt apart of it.

By your logic, Gorges should be gone as well, as he belongs to the "old" regime of leaders

Gorges was there before all those players arrived as was Markov and Plekanec and Price.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
please NO.

When I think about montreal canadien captain , I think about : Blake , Richards , Beliveau , Gainey ect. I was already embarrassed when they named Gionta ( 5'7) captain and now you guyz talking about this boderline/overpaid top 4 dman Gorges...

Who do you want then? Give Price the C? or Subban? Or the 19 yr old Galchenyuk so they won't look bad next to these big name?

You clearly have no idea what's the meaning of a "C" if you think a 4th D cannot be a captain.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The way he acted after the leafs game completely sold me off. A captain cannot act like that. Ever heard Gros Bill call out one of his young teammate like he did on P.K.?
Not captain material.
It's a shame we don't have a Landeskog type leader.

I have no clue what you're talking about. Fill me in?

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
I would give Max the C when Gionta leaves.

Wise and well-spoken, great media presence, respected, leader on the ice.

Gorges makes a good "sarge" type but Max is officer class.

Plus he'll look great hoisting the Cup!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have no clue what you're talking about. Fill me in?

Remember that ass-whooping we got ?

Well Gorges got his ass beat by a AHL(which is ok.), laughed at, then came into the dressing room and screamed at the leafs one acting all tough, then he spoke to the media all teary eyed.
Then there's the P.K. is not bigger than the team comments.

I love the guy and he's really vocal and a great leader and all... But he's too emotional to be the captain of this franchise. I want someone well-spoken and that doesn't go out and criticize everybody.

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
Who do you want then? Give Price the C? or Subban? Or the 19 yr old Galchenyuk so they won't look bad next to these big name?

You clearly have no idea what's the meaning of a "C" if you think a 4th D cannot be a captain.

No captain then...give markov, gorges and plekanec an A

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
I don't think that Gorges can be captain: he never was one in juniors. :sarcasm:

I don't think you know what that smilie face is for. It's for when you say something that is clearly not true, when you actually think the opposite. In this case, your comment is 100% true, there is no need to use the sarcasm icon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad