Is Josh Gorges the next captain of the Habs

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
Have you guys seen 24CH? Gorges is always the one talking in the locker room. As for not giving the C to our 10th best player, I'd say Josh is better than Gionta...

I don't see Pacioretty as a leader... At least not captain material. Galchenyuk, maybe one day but not short term. Right now, I think Josh is the frontrunner.

This .

But I would be OK with Pleks or Markov as well

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Markov won't be a Canadien past 2014. I'd be willing to put money on that. Currently, the only two candidates are Gorges and Plekanec.

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
Are you trying to make me cry right now? IMO he's a habs for life, but not a captain candidate.

I think he'll be dealt in the off-season or next season. He holds quite a bit of trade value and would speed up our rebuild. Keeping him until he retires would be nice but not smart.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think he'll be dealt in the off-season or next season. He holds quite a bit of trade value and would speed up our rebuild. Keeping him until he retires would be nice but not smart.

I don't think we're playing him like we're ready to trade him. The only guy that can fill his shoes is PK and we're using him as a 5th Dman.
There isn't too many interesting Dman that will hit the open market by then so unless PK get more minutes, I doubt management will look to move him.

I also wouldn't be surprised to see Plek and Markov finish their careers as Habs.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
C - Gorges
A - Pleky
A - ???

Pleks deserves a letter, but beyond that there is no obvious choice so Markov keeps it by default.

jpchabby

Drive for 25
Mar 3, 2006
I don't think that Gorges can be captain: he never was one in juniors. :sarcasm:

Though I remember seeing a letter on his jersey at some point...

If I remember correctly, the consensus was it was an "O", as in "Offensive defenseman".

Bieber fever

Mar 7, 2010
Westmount
please NO.

When I think about montreal canadien captain , I think about : Blake , Richards , Beliveau , Gainey ect. I was already embarrassed when they named Gionta ( 5'7) captain and now you guyz talking about this boderline/overpaid top 4 dman Gorges...

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
please NO.

When I think about montreal canadien captain , I think about : Blake , Richards , Beliveau , Gainey ect. I was already embarrassed when they named Gionta ( 5'7) captain and now you guyz talking about this boderline/overpaid top 4 dman Gorges...

You can't name a player that you don't have, captain.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
please NO.

Completely agreed and although his career isn't comparable to those names as a captain koivu should be a part of that list longest serving captain in team history, fought through injuries and cancer but always came back at the same pace as before and he stuck by this team through all the mistakes management made, after the 6 captains the 10 years before him the 10 years of just him were fantastic

We gotta find the next koivu captain

MoobMoob

EntertainingasanSTD
Jun 11, 2011
Valhalla
please NO.

Why not mention Keane, Turgeon or Damphouse?

Though I agree Gorges shouldn't be captain. Mostly I say that because he's only effective on one side of the ice. My vote goes to Plex, with an A going to Gorges and either Moen or Prust. At least until Chucky is ready to take the reins.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
A coupla mentions but elsewise not a lot of love for PlekaneC why? He's the logical choice been here awhile and signed for awhile, smart, versatile, arguably our best player...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I don't see many first place team rebuilding these day's.... Is that the new trend ?

Plek needs the C. He's pretty much what Koivu is but a bit less vocal I'd say. If you watch on 24CH how he speaks with every body and they're all friends with him... That's what you need. A cool guy as a captain, a friend, someone that plays great and that can say, you know what ? Follow my lead.

For letters all those players are deserving: Markov, Gorges, Prust, Moen.
And eventually: Patches, Gally, DD?, Subban, Galchenyuk.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
I think Gorges would be a good choice, I would really like it if they picked a defencemen. Being captain of the Canadiens is an honor but such a burdon. If it's another forward and he doesn't score every game he is constantly questioned and bashed mercilessly. Either pick a defencemen or a grinder, they are supposed to play solid defence and have less pressure to score.

Look at Gionta right now, he ain't having his best season but the team is in first and many want to run him out of town. Mark my words if healthy, Brian will be a real asset in the playoffs.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
How is that... Every one in this team look up to him.

every one in this team look up to Gorges when it comes to putting your heart out and commitment... don't get me wrong, I love Plekanec, but he doesn't fit the role IMO. what I want in a captain is a strong leader and someone who can interact very well with the media.

On that last point, Gionta and Plekanec don't come anywhere close to Gorges, which I feel is almost as good as Koivu was (nevermind the "he can't say bonjour and merci" part)

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
every one in this team look up to Gorges when it comes to putting your heart out and commitment... don't get me wrong, I love Plekanec, but he doesn't fit the role IMO. what I want in a captain is a strong leader and someone who can interact very well with the media.

On that last point, Gionta and Plekanec don't come anywhere close to Gorges, which I feel is almost as good as Koivu was (nevermind the "he can't say bonjour and merci" part)

Yeah but Gorges is also a huge whiner and he's not super smart.

funserious

Jan 27, 2010
If Prust continues this way, I can see him being a candidate in 2-3 years. Guy's a warrior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad