Is John Robert Eichel the Unluckiest Superstar Since Lindros?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Eichel has a Phil Kessel career arc in store for him. Sullen young talent comes up alongside his generation's best, is unfairly compared, struggles to find team success as a franchise player and eventually lands somewhere where he can be a 1A support guy and becomes a winner.

Bodybr3ak

Nov 19, 2010
I feel like you can only call a player a superstar if they have shown the ability to put up numbers and lead their teams to success. McDavid led the Oilers to the second round last year, Matthews led the Leafs to the playoffs last year after being dead last in the NHL the year before, Eichel is phenominal offensive talent but playing winning hockey matters. A lot of people on this site are gunna be in for a shock if the Islanders implement a proper system next year. Very good chance Barzal and some of their other guys having great years come back down to earth a bit. Points are nice and all but if you're consistently at the bottom then how valuable are the points you're putting up?

I don't think that is a fair comparison to make.

While Matthews and McDavid both played a large roll in their teams success they made the playoffs because of the team built around them. I think it's fair to say that if Eichel was on the leafs instead of Auston the leafs are still just as good. I don't think the same can be said for Connor but that's because he's Connor McDavid. But still, the oilers don't make the playoffs last year without Talbot in net.

Reactions: King Clancy

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
Enjoyable post.

To nit pick: Superstars dominate, dominate the league. Eichel is currently the best player on a bad team, so he is not there yet, no matter what they pay him. He's a star and league-wise, he is in good company. It's no insult to not call him a superstar.

Buffalo luck? The Sabres won the first draft lottery in history, when they got to draft Gilbert Perreault instead of Dale Tallon. Five years later they made the finals, only the third expansion team to do so. That sounds pretty good to me. You might think that's a long time ago, but it really wasn't.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He does deserve better in general. The contract he got is one thing he does deserve as he is indeed the hardest worker on the Sabres, like he said last year that 'people were just happy to be in the NHL.' But I feel Buffalo should name him captain already, he's already working well as a face.

He did get screwed when Draisaitl passed him in points which meant he didn't get his bonus.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I think Eichel has a Phil Kessel career arc in store for him. Sullen young talent comes up alongside his generation's best, is unfairly compared, struggles to find team success as a franchise player and eventually lands somewhere where he can be a 1A support guy and becomes a winner.

Eichel is considerably more talented than Kessel.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Doesn't he have work ethic issues? I know he's been cheating on defense a lot and gives up on trying to take the puck from the opposing team.

I'm not saying he's lazy, but he doesnt have sickening superstar work ethic.

HfBoards and media would've slaughtered McDavid if he had given up in the D zone like Eichel occasionally does.

I know he would perform better and be more motivated if the team was better

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
What's your definition of that word?

There are a lot of players that deserve that title before Eichel. The talent is there, but the accomplishments aren't.

Superstar Definition

1.a person, as a performer or athlete, who enjoys wider recognition, is esteemed for exceptional talent, and is eagerly sought after for his or her services.

2.any very prominent or successful person or thing.

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
Doesn't he have work ethic issues? I know he's been cheating on defense a lot and gives up on trying to take the puck from the opposing team.

I'm not saying he's lazy, but he doesnt have sickening superstar work ethic.

HfBoards and media would've slaughtered McDavid if he had given up in the D zone like Eichel occasionally does.

I know he would perform better and be more motivated if the team was better
That facet of his game has improved considerably since his rookie season. He's no Toews, but he definitely grinds down low in the defensive zone and helps the defense out. Guess he was just sick of having a front row seat to all of those GA. If you want to point at his +/- , just keep mind Buffalo has lost a plethora of one goal games (not counting the ENG GA) where Eichel is on the ice with the goalie pulled. Still has hit warts, but not Yashin 2.0 or whatever his detractors have built up in their heads.

Quiet Jack

Mar 24, 2017

Greatest player never to score 25 goals or 60 points...
How much do you love the Leafs? Be honest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->