Is Joel Quenneville the best coach in the NHL?

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
Probably 2nd best next to Babcock.

but he is the best in matching lines and getting his matchups even on the road. The guy is a genius when it comes to knowing when to make adjustments.

Ive always said it but to be an elite coach and stand out from the rest you need to take risks and Q does just that.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Wouldnt it be easier to compare based off accomplishments?

Or is that an unfair way to compare?

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
He's up there neck and neck with Babcock. He's come into his own under the Blackhawks. Look at what he has helped accomplish.

Mike Yanagita*

No. He makes decisions all the time that literally make no sense. His mismanagement of the roster probably cost the Hawks a cup in 2014. In game three of this series he benched Teuvo and Vermette for Versteeg and Nordstrom. The list is of his mistakes is very long. Obviously he does many things right too.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Well, he's steering the ship of a stacked team. I won't pretend I know the intricacies of his coaching tendencies, but he usually just appears angry and uninspiring.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
IMO I still think babcock is the best, but he is a very close second

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
No. He makes decisions all the time that literally make no sense. His mismanagement of the roster probably cost the Hawks a cup in 2014. In game three of this series he benched Teuvo and Vermette for Versteeg and Nordstrom. The list is of his mistakes is very long. Obviously he does many things right too.

Babcock loved Clearly and other bums for years

Every coach has those guys (I forget who Kings complain about Sutter constantly)

To blame Q for problems last year such as Sharp struggles , Bickell struggles , Leddy struggles , injury to Oduya in WCF is a stretch

notheroic

Aug 2, 2005
Fort McMurray, AB
I don't think he is. Babs is better. Quenneville has some holes in his coaching. The team is very good. Toews, Kane, Keith and Hossa are great "assistants" to have on the ice.

evermix*

Yes, he is. The guy has swag, and he's respect, and has a commanding presence, a real coach.

Keithsteeth

Nov 10, 2013

This - I actually think the Hawks could have won this series in 6 (maybe even 5) if Quennville had played the right personnel on the right lines.

I do agree that he does many other things very well however

MadhouseOnMadison

Man crush on Amonte
Oct 15, 2010
He routinely gets outcoached by Babcock. The guy just has Q's number. Has for a long time.

It took the stacked 2013 Hawks team an OT in Game 7 to put away a Detroit team that was clearly worse on paper. Q just seems to get a 'deer in the headlights' thing going when he faces Babcock.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad