Is Jim Montgomery on the hot seat in Dallas?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Everybody talks about Hynes and Boudreau, but Dallas was supposed to be a contender this year and they've started 1-4-1. Is he on the hot seat?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Were they expected to contend? Seems like they added a bunch of over the hill veterans in the off-season. Isn't that what Toronto used to do?

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Were they expected to contend? Seems like they added a bunch of over the hill veterans in the off-season. Isn't that what Toronto used to do?

I think expectations were higher given what they did last season.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I've personnally had trouble with buying the hype of their scary offense.

Few years ago their top duo was elite and going, and they've added players behind them and the depth is improved.
The problem is that the C especially plays like a 2nd line player more than an elite powerforward these days.

2 points for Benn and 3 for Seguin is not enough.
Well Pavelski with 1 sure ain't helping either.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I've personnally had trouble with buying the hype of their scary offense.

Few years ago their top duo was elite and going, and they've added players behind them and the depth is improved.
The problem is that the C especially plays like a 2nd line player more than an elite powerforward these days.

2 points for Benn and 3 for Seguin is not enough.
Well Pavelski with 1 sure ain't helping either.

Usually the coach takes the fall first.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Usually the coach takes the fall first.

Sure does.

But at the end of day it won't do any major difference if Benn keeps playing like a 50 point player.

Hintz can't be your best forward.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Sure does.

But at the end of day it won't do any major difference if Benn keeps playing like a 50 point player.

Hintz can't be your best forward.

Not saying I disagree but that doesn't take him off the hot seat.

TrueTT

Dec 12, 2018
Guelph, ON
No, but he should be.

If they aren’t firmly in a playoff spot by Christmas it’s gotta be curtains for him. They have too much talent to not at least be a WC team in the West. Hell, I had them pegged in a divisional seeding at the start of the year because of the personnel losses in Winnipeg.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
If Jim Nill fires Jim Montgomery then Nill is done too. So Jim Nill is the only one on the hot seat here unless the next GM wants a different coach. Monty does need to change things though to improve the teams offensive attack cause clearly what's happening now is not working, and I also think Todd Nelson needs to be fired. Powerplay has been inexcusably bad for 2 seasons now under him

A big part of the problem with this team though starts with Benn and Seguin not being what they used to be. Benn especially. Seguin is just a good complimentary player but shouldn't be your best. Not sure he's good enough to drive a line anymore so that means Roope Hintz is our only forward that can drive a line by himself (maybe Radulov too I suppose but mostly just Hintz since Radulov has had a rough start as well)

I wouldn't pay too much attention into the teams start just yet though. All of the top guys are off to some of the slowest starts of their careers and I wouldn't bet on that continuing for all of them. Would be very unusual if they all fell apart at the same time. Lot of time to turn things around and the coaching staff didn't figure out how to properly use Pavelski until last night, and they still didn't do it consistently.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Believe it or not though, the Stars have actually looked more dangerous this season so far offensively than last season. The top guys just can't get going

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Since he got there, he seems to have killed that teams offence, they may need a different style of coach

serp

Jan 17, 2016
They rebuild the offense and now it doesn't fit the roster anymore. They're playing dump and chase grinder hockey without the roster for it. Last season the defenseman moving up and activate was one of the teams best weapons and now they're no longer doing it. Instead everybody is shooting from the blueline for tips. What the hell.

Whatever the coaching staff did in the offseason to build this offensive "system" its completely nonsensical and the roster doesn't fit and can't play it.

Lost to the Blues playing grinder hockey twice and now they want to recreate it without having the roster for it. Great.

Last edited:
Reactions: IlikeEich

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
They rebuild the offense and now it doesn't fit the roster anymore. They're playing dump and chase grinder hockey without the roster for it. Last season the defenseman moving up and activate was one of the teams best weapons and now they're no longer doing it. Instead everybody is shooting from the blueline for tips. What the hell.

Whatever the coaching staff did in the offseason to build this offensive "system" its complete nonsensical and the roster doesn't fit can't play it.

Lost to the Blues playing grinder hockey twice and now they want to recreate it without having the roster for it. Great.

Its hilarious, they keep dumping the puck in like "here, you take it!" :laugh:

Constant turnovers, no game plan, it's like damn near every goal they score is a surprise.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018

Whatever the coaching staff did in the offseason to build this offensive "system" its complete nonsensical and the roster doesn't fit can't play it.

Too early for me to tell, personally, but I find this a plausible take.

I think they're better than their record, so if these kinda results continue..

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Constant turnovers, no game plan, it's like damn near every goal they score is a surprise.

Almost all of the goals came off the rush when they aren't getting into the "system" . Once they try to create the way the offense is supposed to work its just horrible and doesn't work.

The powerplay is the worst part of it. I have no idea what the hell they're even trying .

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Pretty much every goal they score is off the rush, so it's not surprising they barely ever score cause they constantly dump it in lol

Oops serp already said this but that's okay

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I was surprised how bad the stars looked today. They’ve pretty much owned the Sabres for a while now. I think we’ve lost 11 of the last 14 games against Dallas and 5 straight iirc (or something like that).

I didn’t realize the stars has gotten off to a tough start until I saw their win/loss record before the game today. So I expected Dallas to be hungry (especially since the Sabres have been easy pickings for them in recent years).

Dallas looked ok in the 1st. Not many dangerous scoring chances, but both teams had their time in the o zone.
Then buffalo started to take over in the 2nd and once they scored it almost seemed like the stars just checked out. Buffalo basically dominated the 3rd. I felt like the Stars made very little push in the 3rd.

Makes me wonder if they’ve checked out on Montgomery. They’re definitely a heck of a lot better than what they showed today.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I hate them for being so entertaining and then deciding they didn’t want to do that anymore after Ruff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad