Is Jesperi Kotkaniemi a blue chip C prospect?

Is Kotkaniemi a blue chip C prospect?

• Total voters

Saxon

Mar 9, 2015
He's more of a Mikko Rantanen type winger, no? Didn't play a lot of C in Liiga as far as I can remember.
It's normal for a seventeen year old centre to play his rookie year in a professional men's league on the wing..... He was Finland's number one centre at the u-18s and went head to head with Jack Hughes. Assat has already announced he will have a centre position with them next year. He's clearly a centre.

Reactions: Mrb1p

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think so, he is a good prospect but two months ago he was an average 8-13th pick.

Somehow because of the media he is now an all-star NHLer.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Making polls asking about vague terms like blue chipper are so pointless because one guy could literally have a higher opinion of Kotkaniemi than the guy next to him and say no because he has an extremely high opinion of what the term blue chip means, while the guy next to him could say yes because he has a lower standard for using that term.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
At the day of the draft?
No

Potentially 7 months after the draft?
Certainly

Right now Dahlin's the only can't miss player. But things change in short order. You can have a blue chip prospect in the 5th round in D+1

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Scouts aren't even saying he's a for sure #1C. I think saying he's a blue chipper is probably a stretch no matter your definition.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Scouts aren't even saying he's a for sure #1C. I think saying he's a blue chipper is probably a stretch no matter your definition.

I mean the only prospects who were guaranteed to become #1C are guys like like Matthews, Eichel and McDavid.
Dahlin is the only guy considered on their level in this draft

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
In scouting circles, the term was first used in the NFL. It essentially meant the guy was going to be a plug and play above average starter from Day 1. Obviously in the NHL draft you are dealing with younger prospects so there's less plug and play, but it essentially means the same thing: That the guy is going to be an above average player at his position and that he requires little projection to be that. This is why I don't consider Kotkaniemi as Blue Chip. For myself, the Blue Chip guys for sure are Dahlin, Svechnikov, and Zadina. All 3 are going to be above average players at their position and require little projection to get there. I think the debatable blue chip guys are Tkachuk, Dobson, Bouchard, and Hughes and they represent the next tier. Beyond that, every player in this draft requires at least moderate projection and that includes Kotkaniemi.

Completely agree

Reactions: DramaticGloveSave

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think so, he is a good prospect but two months ago he was an average 8-13th pick.

Somehow because of the media he is now an all-star NHLer.

Mr Heiskanen should know Heiskanen example very well, and how he's looking.
Like a potential franchise D-man a year later.

I was damm high on him last season, and the reason why it was quieter is due to Dallas holding the 3rd overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->