Is Jesperi Kotkaniemi a blue chip C prospect?

Is Kotkaniemi a blue chip C prospect?

• Total voters

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
“Blue chip” has such a variability in definition from individual to individual. I don’t think that there can only be a certain number of prospect that qualify as blue chip types, since the age at which prospects are groomed to the professional level has decreased as training has been optimized. If a forward prospect can reasonably step into a top-six role or a defenseman into a team’s top-four without skipping a beat, I would say that they qualify for the designation of a blue chip. Most teams, excepting rare, exceptional pipelines, will likely only have, if any, just one real blue chip prospect who can fit into my specific definition, but that doesn’t necessarily mean other people don’t scale their definitions differently.

That being said, I don’t think Kotkaniemi is a blue chip prospect at this moment, but there is a good chance he could be next season.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
“Blue chip” has such a variability in definition from individual to individual. I don’t think that there can only be a certain number of prospect that qualify as blue chip types, since the age at which prospects are groomed to the professional level has decreased as training has been optimized. If a forward prospect can reasonably step into a top-six role or a defenseman into a team’s top-four without skipping a beat, I would say that they qualify for the designation of a blue chip. Most teams, excepting rare, exceptional pipelines, will likely only have, if any, just one real blue chip prospect who can fit into my specific definition, but that doesn’t necessarily mean other people don’t scale their definitions differently.

That being said, I don’t think Kotkaniemi is a blue chip prospect at this moment, but there is a good chance he could be next season.
I agree with that definition.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What is the official definition of "blue chip prospect"? I've never understood it. I know it means a good prospect, but how good?

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
What is the official definition of "blue chip prospect"? I've never understood it. I know it means a good prospect, but how good?

That the certainty that he will be a major piece of an NHL team (top 6 winger/top 4 D) is 75% or more.

I think there are only two blue chip prospects in this draft at the moment. Within a year several others are likely to move themselves up to that level, and within 3 years there will be 10+ out of this draft, but it won't be the first 10.

Reactions: CanadianSharks

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
How many centers do you think were better than him going into the draft last year? Probably 4 at least imo:

Hischier / Patrick / Vilardi / Glass

Then it's debatable if where he would have ranked compared to Pettersson / Mittlestadt / Rasmussen. I struggle to see that as a blue chip C prospect.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
No.

He's the best C in a draft that is weak at the top at C which is why his name is shooting up some boards because the importance at that position.

In hindsight, this is another reason why the 2017 draft was better than most at the time were saying. Hischier and Patrick are significantly better than any C prospect available in 2018 and are the best C prospects until at least 2019.

Reactions: deflowd

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017

Well than we better be adding Zadina with the other two mentioned.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Wait who considers Rasmussen a blue chip?
I do. He might play a top 6 role next season. Very good scorer. I consider any prospect that can play an elite top 9 forward role or top 6 role their rookie or second season a blue chip prospect.

Last edited:

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Are you talking nhl?
If so, you think he's better than Vilardi?
Not skill-wise because they both play different roles. His game-type is more nhl ready imo. If I were to pick one over the other, I'd pick vilardi. It is close in how valuable they are though because vilardi has has skating issues. Rasmussen is a rare commodity to come by. Guys that are that skilled in net front presence doesn't come around too often.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
"Blue Chip" to me means top 5 at that position.

Is he top 5 after the draft??
Pettersson
Strome
Glass
Necas
Thomas
Vilardi

I dont think he is better than any of those guys.

Pettersson, Strome, Thomas, Necas and maybe Vilardi will all be in the nhl next season.
That would make Kotkaniemi the 2nd best drafted center prospect

Reactions: Jtown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->