Is Jay Bariball the early front runner for...

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
the steal of the 06 draft?

He has stepped seamlessly into the gophers lineup, as a true freshman nonetheless, and is leading the team in points with 17 in 14 games.

He's on a better ppg clip than kessel was last year, and I bring up Kessel's name because his departure to Boston meant Bariball passed up a year in the USHL so suit up for the maroon gold.

Can you get anymore bang for your buck out of a 7th rounder so far?

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
the steal of the 06 draft?

He has stepped seamlessly into the gophers lineup, as a true freshman nonetheless, and is leading the team in points with 17 in 14 games.

He's on a better ppg clip than kessel was last year, and I bring up Kessel's name because his departure to Boston meant Bariball passed up a year in the USHL so suit up for the maroon gold.

Can you get anymore bang for your buck out of a 7th rounder so far?
Great start indeed, as for being THE STEAL , hard to gauge..lots of late picks off to a good start for example Jan Mursak 43 points in 26 games in OHL.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Mathieu Perrault in the Q is also leading the league in points I beleive or was as recent as last week.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I just want to point out that all of those guys were picked in a late round for something. They might all be good in junior or in college, but their game might have a hard time translating into anything great in the pro. I'm not saying that they will bust or anything, but stats don't mean a whole lot of things at this point.

For the Habs, Kostitsyn was the rookie leader last year in the OHL, but he has many things to improve. Will he ever reach the NHL? Maybe, but I don't think he will live up to the hype of the Habs fan.

I never saw Bariball play, and he might be a good one, and maybe even the steal of the draft, but it's way to early right now.

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
At this point, everyone's thinking they may have "the steal of the draft", being literally some time since the draft.

Canucks fans on these boards reakoned they had it with Sergei Shirokov when he led the RSL for the first week, though i believe he has cooled since. Juraj Simek was another of their guys performing well from a late drafting.

Buffalo fans thought we had it with guys like Alex Biega, Benjamin Breault and Felix Schutz after the draft.

Don't know who said it, but I read it recently went along the lines of:

"every team reakons they've made a steal a few days, weeks, and months after draft day. It's not until several years later when guys are playing in pro leagues that we can see whos made the steals."

There have been countless threads like thos since June, truth is, there is absolutely no way of telling. Barriball may be lighting it up at the moment, but is it just because he's playing on arguably the best NCAA hockey team, with some of the best players and coaches at that level? Is is because his style suits that league? Will his style translate to the pro game? many unanswered questions that will reamain so for a few years yet.

Seabass

Onward and Upward
Sep 25, 2002
Chicago
Visit site
Bariball is a huge beneficiary of big ice. He's a good little player and a good pick in the seventh, no doubt, but I'm not sure if I'd label him as the front runner just yet.

Guys who haven't been mentioned yet and are looking good from the 5th round on: Alex Kangas, Alex Biega, Billy Sauer, and Andrei Popov

Edit: Biega was just mentioned, but you get the point.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
or how about Benn Ferriero for BC...7+6=13 so far and playing good all around hockey.

196th overall by the yotes...not too shabby.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Juraj Simek, 6th round pick, 33 points in 24 games (17 of those are goals) in the WHL, which is good for 7th overall in points and 5th in scoring in the dub.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad