WJC: Is Jake Allen....

skolgoar

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
You never played goalie I assume. First thing they teach you when you say you want to play goalie is that on an odd man rush you take the shooter, if there is a pass, it is the defenders job to block it. You never anticipate a pass. Your man is the guy with the puck.

Yes, because as we all know, if the goal goes in, as long as it's not the goalie's fault, it doesn't matter. Goalies are going to assess the situation and make the play that they think is right, because if all goalies did was to play the shooter and not anticipate a pass, you would see a lot more goals being scored at all levels.

Let's give a little credit to Carlson here, it was a great shot. Jones may have played the shooter a little stronger, but it's not as if he was out of position ... or that he threw the puck into the slot when he was behind the net ...

RA9

Dec 30, 2009
He certainly didn't play his best game, looked like he was weak on the top corners.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Why is it different from hating a 19 year old in the NHL (that's when the Crosby hate started)?
Exactly. He's been an adult for two years. If he played poorly he has every right to hear about it and everyone has the right to point it out. He doesn't need the nations pity. If he's planning on making a career out of it, he better get used to the criticism.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
Yes, because as we all know, if the goal goes in, as long as it's not the goalie's fault, it doesn't matter. Goalies are going to assess the situation and make the play that they think is right, because if all goalies did was to play the shooter and not anticipate a pass, you would see a lot more goals being scored at all levels.

Let's give a little credit to Carlson here, it was a great shot. Jones may have played the shooter a little stronger, but it's not as if he was out of position ... or that he threw the puck into the slot when he was behind the net ...

He got frozen so hard on that goal. As a goaltender you know he was thinking pass first and he got caught on it. Hard.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Why is it different from hating a 19 year old in the NHL (that's when the Crosby hate started)?

I don't think it's different. I think that's ridiculous, too. People behave like nuts. But I also think it's unreasonable to compare Crosby and any other hockey player of the same age or at the same age. He's a unique case and you can't gain much insight from that.

Exactly. He's been an adult for two years. If he played poorly he has every right to hear about it and everyone has the right to point it out. He doesn't need the nations pity. If he's planning on making a career out of it, he better get used to the criticism.

Adult according to laws and actually mature are different things. If you think a 19 year old goaltender can be realistically criticized in the same way as a 29 year old goaltender, your expectations are laughably unfair.

Again, nobody said he was immune to criticism or that he deserved pity. I think we all agree he didn't perform well. But for him to be hated personally or "persona non grata," that's rather extreme. And that's the point, nothing about criticism or pity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad